mildredsmam's Content

There have been 166 items by mildredsmam (Search limited from 23-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#67921 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 October 2017 - 08:10 AM in Hibernation

Ah rite thanks Karen. I didn't realise and wasn't sure when to do them. They were done last year but I'm definitely hibernating Tiddles this year. They are seperate now and I must say the little one seems much happier however tiddles seems to spend time roaming round as if he is looking for her and has done since we moved her? Amanda

It's good to hear the little one is doing well, are you weighing them and keeping a record of their weights.  :) 

#67920 food

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 October 2017 - 08:07 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi Karen.

Yes she is weighed very month now and with a slow gain. She is due a vet visit as I like to take her every year just for a check up. The link you sent was great, off to the garden center today to buy her more of the good stuff. Thank you Karen very much appreciated

Jo x

Hi Jo, just remember you can't feed garden centre plants straight away as they've been grown in fertilisers and chemicals that are bad for her, re-plant them and wait until new growth comes through, you might also find this book really helpful this is great for taking on weed walks it tells you what's good weeds and has pictures to help you id them.  https://www.facebook.com/TortoisePlantsBook/?hc_ref=ARS1RjivdqivCh8IkAgda3EN2_Rk5MilGobcOJimKuOeOtQALD5--krUGg-g_avwRyg&fref=nf :)  :) 

You can also sow weed seeds  at this time of year ready for spring.  :) 

#67917 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 October 2017 - 03:02 AM in Hibernation

Hi just wondering would I worm tiddles before his wind Down? He was outdoors for a time this year. Thanks Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Sorry I've just seen this, not it's best not to worm them before hibernation as the residue of the chemical would still be there and their good bacteria in the gut would be wiped out with no time to recover, if you do worm them this late then it's best to over winter, it's always best to check for worms in the summer as this gives them time to recover before hibernation.  :) 

#67916 food

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 October 2017 - 02:48 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hello all. I’m new to the forum world so all advice would be very greatly appreciated. I have a little lady called Tyco, she is a 3 year old Hermann tort and a nightmare with food. I have tried everything from growing my own Tortoise weeds to taking weeds and plants from the garden, she will not eat them. I give her a small variety of greens and add supplements. I have even put grass to grow in her table, my problem is, she will only eat fresh greens like kale, cauliflower and broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrot, parsley. She loves fruit but she only has that as a rare treat. She eats very well, when I put her out for a walk she will try and eat everything she can fit in her mouth. Any advice on what I can do to make her eating habits more healthy for her? Also I have read many things about how often to feed her, should I be missing a day a week of feeding?

Any help would be great

Jo

Hi Jo welcome to the forum.  :)

Next time it might be best to start a new post as it will get seen more and get more replies  :)

The only way to change her diet is to stop feeding her the old diet and offer weeds and flowers daily it will take her some time but she will eat them in the end she wont starve her self, they are stubborn though and will wait for you to give in if you do give in to her she'll never eat a healthy diet, and at the minute nearly every thing she's eating is bad for her have a look here at the fruit and veg section and it will tell you each item your feeding at the minute  http://www.thetortoi.../plant-database.

Also it's best to feed her daily but a small amount of natural food, do you weigh her regular to keep a check on weight gain.  :)

#67911 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 14 October 2017 - 02:56 AM in Hibernation

So the torts are now separate and things seem to be going well.
The stand kind of three me because what are you supposed to hang the lamp holder from. It didn't come with a hook attached like in the pic so finding it hard getting the temps right. Any ideas would be greatly welcome.
Thanks
Amanda

Hi it's good to hear their now separate the little one will do so much better on it's own for some time, are you sure the stand isn't broken do you have a picture so we can see what you mean.  :) 

#67910 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 14 October 2017 - 02:52 AM in Hibernation

Great news they have arrived. The temp enclosure is smaller will that b ok for tiddles

Hi as long as it's not really small it'll be fine it's only temporary for a short period of time and wind down when their not as active.   :) 

#67906 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 10 October 2017 - 02:44 AM in Hibernation

Hi I've got it set up just waiting for the light holder and stand to arrive so should be any day now. Also I don't know if I've asked before but should I put the little one into the temp enclosure until tiddles hibernate or move tiddles for wind down?
Thanks Amanda

Hi Amanda, am I right in thinking you said the room is really warm where the original table is, if so then I would set the new table up in a room that can be made cooler and use this one for Tiddle's wind down and leave the smaller one where he/she is.  :) 

I'm not sure if your on face book and I don't normally give out links to face book groups but if you are this is a really good group to join they put a post on daily for the wind down and members do it together which really helps https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks:)  

#67903 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 07 October 2017 - 04:08 AM in Hibernation

Ok great, thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
I am hoping the little one does catch up. She seemed to like being outdoors in the Summer.
Amanda

Hi Amanda, have you got these two in different set ups now, if so how's it going.  :) 

#67889 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 28 September 2017 - 02:27 AM in Hibernation

Tortoises do grow at different rates, but you'll see when these are apart if it's the bigger one causing the little one not to gain weight. 

Yes i start wind down at the start of December some time it's what works best for you really i just think at the minute it's still quite mild and there's still plenty of weeds around if you hibernate later in the year it's better as it's so much colder and not so much natural food available.  :) 

#67886 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 27 September 2017 - 05:17 PM in Hibernation

Yeah I know. I'm just don't understand what the problem is with them and why they just don't seem to thrive together.
Anyway I will get there hopefully.
Amanda

Some time they thrive better on their own if they feel a little intimidated by the bigger one they will just let them finish all the food, I'm sure you'll see a difference in the little one with the break but once back together you might see the change return, only time will tell, keep us updated on the little one i'd be interested in it's progress.  :) 

#67884 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 27 September 2017 - 04:02 PM in Hibernation

I'm not sure how long would you recommend wasn't sure whether to do 8 weeks or 12. The little one is tiny around 33 grams she doesn't seem to thrive like tiddles. She is the same age too maybe a month younger. Hopefully she will do well once tiddles is hibernating as if not I maý have to think about rehoming one as I literally don't have the space to house 2 separate enclosures indoors. I have plenty of room outside but unfortunately not inside. But im really shoping it doesnt come to that as i love them both. Thanks Amanda

Yes that's a good difference isn't it. I would go for 8 weeks with it been the first hibernation, hopefully the little one puts on a bit in this time but I can't see it been loads in the time scale given.  :) 

#67882 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 27 September 2017 - 12:59 PM in Hibernation

Ok thanks. Tiddles is around 120 g so rather big for his age as he is really greedy and stops the smaller one from eating. I put them outdoors for Summer but Tiddles spent most of his time hiding inside.
How long wind down should I do him. Yes I will be separating them and I have my fridge here ready. I'm going to move him asap to get used to the new enclosure.
I was reading something where someone said start reducing from the 12 hours heat and gradually go down to none but I've always gone with the natural day light hours so how would I start as now they are on from around 7 until 4.30 ish which is when they both dig down anyway.
Thanks for your help.
Amanda.

Hi, how long are you planning on hibernating him, I think it's a good idea to separate them give the little one some time to catch up, how much does the little one weigh.

I do about two and a half 3 week wind down for my smaller ones the first week you want to just keep as normal just with no food and regular baths then start reducing the time if he's really active then reduce the heat a little and bath regular, you may need to keep them on their own a little after hibernation if the little one hasn't caught up much.  :) 

#67880 Hibernating My 3 Year Old Tortoise

Posted by mildredsmam on 27 September 2017 - 02:40 AM in Hibernation

Hi my 2, three year old tortoises currently live in their indoor enclosure which is in my living room. Due to events I am only going to hibernate the much bigger of the 2 and I will start wind down in October. I was just wondering if I should move the bigger one to somewhere cooler to begin wind down as now it's getting cooler we are using the central heating more in the house. I have an out house would this be better for him?
Thanks

Hi. they will need separate enclosures for the wind down period as you'll be feeding one and not the other at the start of wind down he needs heat to help digest any food he has in his system then you start to cool them down over time, with little ones I leave them till later in the year so start wind down in December and hibernate through Jan/Feb as I always find these are the coldest months with less food available.  :) 

#67870 Half A Century!

Posted by mildredsmam on 17 September 2017 - 08:36 AM in Photo Gallery

Wow Graham, 50 years old he's doing great the little girls look like they enjoy coming to see Harry. :) 

I'm sure Harry will still be as mischievous for years to come. :) 

#67867 Going On Holiday During Wind Down What To Do For The Best.

Posted by mildredsmam on 16 September 2017 - 04:00 AM in Hibernation

We are going away at the end of October and the neighbour that normally looks after our tortoise is now unable to. He will be well into wind down.  I am not sure what to do for the best.  He has a kennel with soil in inside a greenhouse structure that he sleeps in at night, so I could leave the light on a timer and just leave him to it. but that will mean a week without baths and the possibility that he may bury down and begin hibernation if its cold. 

Or, I could fine someone else to bath him a few times that week and have light on timer, 

or wind him down earlier and have him in the fridge and find someone to open the door for air exchange each day.

What would you do in this situation?  

Many thanks for any thoughts.

He is in his mid 40's has had one hibernation in the fridge, prior to that in a box in a shed.

Hi I would definitely make sure you have someone to watch over him while your away whether it be during wind down or when he's hibernating, also they could do with knowing a bit about what their doing, could you not put off wind down until you come home and hibernate him a bit later in the year and get someone to check on him daily feed him etc i think that's what i would do. :) 

#67854 Lou Making The Most Of The Good Weather

Posted by mildredsmam on 03 September 2017 - 03:56 AM in Photo Gallery

Lovely photo Sue, Lou looks very happy there eating in the sun. :) 

#67845 Should My Horsefield Tortoise Be Hibernating Already

Posted by mildredsmam on 01 September 2017 - 01:59 AM in Hermann Tortoise

hi need a bit of help for this past month or so squirt as been of his food and not very active I have tried alsorts to get him more active I've been getting him out for a bath and putting him under his lamp but goes straight back to his corner he likes and digs down and I have left him for 2 days but haven't seen anything of him what shod I do

thanks

Hi Gary,

Is Squirt indoors all the time at the minute, do you know what temps your getting in his set up, and how olds your uv bulb.

My Horsfields are quiet at the minute they sense they change in the seasons and start naturally slowing down over time, will you be hibernating him this winter or keeping him up. :)

#67840 Saying Hello From Les And Willow

Posted by mildredsmam on 26 August 2017 - 10:39 AM in Introduce Yourself Here

I'm Les 

In Oxfordshire, I will have a year old Hermann in about 2 months time.

I have experience with a spur-thigh and just doing some research to see what differences there are in keeping the two (doesn't seem much) so far.

As a family ( I have 5 daughters), we have a varied array of animals from chickens and rabbits and guinea pigs to snakes geckos and tarantulas.

Hi Les welcome to the forum. :) 

Sounds like your kept busy with all these animals, you'll love the little Hermann when he /she arrives, I don't know how your daughters can keep tarantulas :ohmy: 

#67824 Hermann Tortoise Newbie

Posted by mildredsmam on 10 August 2017 - 04:42 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hello you helpful lot. I have build my own tortoise table myself with my daughter as we are looking into buying one in the near future (once the home is 100% complete). I keep getting mixed messages regarding heat mats, I was thinking of having one on the floor of the "house" up one end controlled by a stat & also a uva/uvb combined lamp up the other end with the water bowl (or swimming pool as my daughter keeps calling it). My tort home has a separate bedroom with a removable roof for hiding. I'm looking to cover the floor in soil due to seeing post about sand being bad for getting in the tort eyes and i also know that over night all heating and lights are to be switched off.

Does this sound like I've researched and taking in all information that will lead to my tort having a healthy and good life.

Looking forward to hearing feedback (both pros and cons) as I'm keen to get it finished and go and purchase our first tortoise

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum. :) 

It sounds like your doing a great job ( and your daughter ) as Sue has already gave you some great information I just thought I would welcome you and say any questions you have just ask, if your unsure of any breeders in your area just let us know and we might be able to help with this. :) 

#67820 Shell Advice Please

Posted by mildredsmam on 08 August 2017 - 04:04 AM in Health

Thank you for your help. I ordered some from the chemist as they didn't have any in stock, so I can start treating her tomorrow.
It's been on my mind all day and night and I feel so bad that she has got this as I'm so cautious about removing uneaten food, checking the humidity etc.
I'm off out to by new substrate as well as I want to remove the one she currently has.

Hopefully she will be on the mend soon.

Thanks again, this forum is such a great help :-)

I had to order mine from the chemist, it's really good and works a treat, keep us updated on her. :) 

#67819 New Members.

Posted by mildredsmam on 08 August 2017 - 03:58 AM in Off Topic Chat

I would just like to welcome any new members to the forum. :)

Any questions you have on any species of tortoise just ask there's always someone around happy to help, also feel free to post any pictures of your lovely tortoises thanks. :thumbup: 

#67806 Mr Burns Sore Eyes

Posted by mildredsmam on 01 August 2017 - 03:59 PM in Hermann Tortoise

How's your tortoise doing now. :) 

#67791 Mr Burns Sore Eyes

Posted by mildredsmam on 29 July 2017 - 04:41 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi, do you have a picture, what substrate are you using at the minute and what temps are you getting in your set up. :) 

#67782 A Forever Home Offered For Female Hermann 5+

Posted by mildredsmam on 23 July 2017 - 02:51 PM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

Hi have you looked on the TPG rehoming there's always torts looking for new homes.  https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks:) 

#67770 Second Hermann Tortoise?

Posted by mildredsmam on 12 July 2017 - 01:30 PM in Hermann Tortoise

My indoor enclosure is about four and a half feet by 2 and a half, my outdoor one is slightly smaller but they will only see that for a few months a year max. I wouldnt have room to seperate them and have the second enclosure and this is what worries me. I just thought it would good for my tort to have some company rather then none at all. I know they can be solitary animals, would you say it is better for them to have a companion or to remain on their own?

Hi Mike,

I think if you don't have the space for separate enclosures then it would be best to stick to the one, they live fine on their own and even when their together they don't interact as such, the problem would come if you had two that didn't get on or had one male and one female and with out space to separate them you might have to look at rehoming one, at least at the minute you know the one you already have has plenty of space and is happy hope that helps. :)