mildredsmam's Content

There have been 102 items by mildredsmam (Search limited from 20-August 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#68538 Family Photo

Posted by mildredsmam on 01 August 2018 - 02:32 AM in Photo Gallery

Wow, they're lovely, and growing so perfect and slow credit to you.  :)

#68529 Male Horsfield For Rehoming

Posted by mildredsmam on 01 July 2018 - 03:32 AM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

This tortoise has now been rehomed.  :)

#68528 Male Horsfield For Rehoming

Posted by mildredsmam on 28 June 2018 - 02:44 AM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

Male Horsfield for rehoming, he's around 8 years old and located in Gateshead ( northeast ) the new owner would have to have an area outside for him for the summer months, if you are interested please message me and i'll pass your details on to the current owner thanks.  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• l1.jpg

#68526 Egg Laying

Posted by mildredsmam on 22 June 2018 - 04:18 AM in Breeding

Couple of days ago managed to capture this pic of egg laying

Great picture, I have a few like this, will you be incubating the eggs this time.  :)

#68509 Georgie Sleeping Out At Night

Posted by mildredsmam on 15 June 2018 - 03:47 AM in Outdoor Enclosures

Can anyone help me on how to upload pictures please ! Lol sorry I’m not very technical lol

Hi Millie,

When you go to reply in the bottom right hand it says more reply options click on that and it gives you the option to attach files you can upload photos that way.  :)

#68508 Slug And Snail Control.

Posted by mildredsmam on 15 June 2018 - 03:40 AM in Outdoor Enclosures

Hello everyone,

What do people do to control Slugs and Snails in their outdoor enclosures?

I've used Nematodes before on vegetable patches with good results, it says it's safe for pets and other animals

what do people think are they ok for a Tortoise enclosure?

cheers

Kev.

Hi Kev,

Their a bloody nightmare aren't they, I asked about this product on my FB group as i'd seen a few that use it in tortoise enclosures but Sue advised me not to use it near the tortoises she said. Personally speaking I wouldn't introduce nematodes to a tortoise area unless you are going to worm them. Nematodes are just parasitic worms. :wink: 

So that was good enough for me, when I open my shed early on a morning I have a look for them and remove them by putting them in the neighbours garden  :lol: 

#68488 Heating For Outdoor Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 26 May 2018 - 04:30 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi I am just about to start building an outdoor enclosure for my two 2yr old Hermann Tortoises. Could someone please advise what heat lamp I should get for it? Also do I need a secure insulated hutch for them to sleep in or can they just sleep under the covered area where I will install a tubular heater with a thermostat. 

Many thanks

Geraldine

Hi Geraldine,

They need a heated area outside with a heat lamp in, where you have the heat lamp it needs to be dry and waterproof and also a large enough area to hold the basking lamp safely with no fire risks, all you need is a ceramic holder the same as indoors with a heat bulb this then can be used for cooler mornings or dull days, a large cold frame or large kennel would work well, also just make sure it's predator proof at all times hope that helps.   :) 

#68483 7 Year Old Hermanns - Rehoming

Posted by mildredsmam on 24 May 2018 - 01:36 AM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

Unfortunately I need to find a new home for my Hermanns tortoise.

He's brilliant and I love having him however, due to my circumstances I can't provide him with everything he needs and it's not fair on him. I took him on as a rescue but we're struggling and he's not happy here.

He is free to a good home but I really need to know he's going to the best place.

I have a large tortoise table that can be taken as well.

He has all his paperwork too.

I should add that I live in central Scotland.

Hi Sarah,

I hope you find your tortoise a lovely new home, just be careful when choosing the home as some are just out for a free tortoise sadly, if you think you might need some help finding him a new home the Tortoise protection group have a rehoming page, they help people find lovely new homes for their tortoises here you go.  :)   https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarksor you could message Kay here https://www.facebook...30252&ref=br_rs :)  

#68482 Thinking Of Putting Squirt In A Oustside Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 24 May 2018 - 01:29 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi Gary,

How's the enclosure coming on.  :) 

#68472 Campanula

Posted by mildredsmam on 17 May 2018 - 04:54 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi as far as I know their all edible, and torts will eat either of them.  :) 

Here you go. x  https://www.thetorto.../?plant=832&c=5

https://www.thetorto.../?plant=833&c=5

https://www.thetorto.../?plant=736&c=6

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=473&c=5 :) 

#68466 Tank Enjoying His Favourite Food.

Posted by mildredsmam on 15 May 2018 - 02:20 AM in Photo Gallery

Hi, Tank's lovely, it is nice to see him enjoying his natural environment.  :) 

#68451 Thinking Of Putting Squirt In A Oustside Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 12 May 2018 - 02:51 AM in Hermann Tortoise

thank you everyone and yes hes a horsefield and hes around 3years old and live in the uk and i was thinking of making the sides out of railway sleepers with a mesh top and i was thinking of using a dog kennel or rabbit hutch

Hi Gary,

The railway sleepers would work well, as already said a cold frame with heat in would work, or if you go for a kennel then you must make sure it's high enough to hold the lamp safely, please keep us updated on how it's going or if you have any more questions just ask.  :) 

#68448 Thinking Of Putting Squirt In A Oustside Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 11 May 2018 - 02:00 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Also if you look under the outdoor housing section there will be other members enclosures posted on there.  :) 

#68447 Thinking Of Putting Squirt In A Oustside Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 11 May 2018 - 01:54 AM in Hermann Tortoise

i have been thinking lately about putting squirt into a outside enclosure any information about set up would be greatful ie temps, light, would i need to dig down to stop him from digging under and any pictures of what others have done would be greatful thanks

Hi Gary,

If I remember right Squirt is a Horsfield tortoise, he would benefit so much from living outside through the warmer months, do you have a shed or small greenhouse that you could use for him, if not he will need some form of shelter with a heat lamp added some thing like a large kennel or cold frame.

Horsfields are really good diggers but I've found with plenty of space that has lots of different plants and rocks etc they don't seem too interested in trying to escape, the bigger space you give him the better also make sure he can't see through the barrier your going to use.

I posted this yesterday as I thought it would be very helpful for any one starting a new enclosure have a look and any questions just ask.  :)

https://www.tortoise.../housing-adults

#68444 Outdoor Housing

Posted by mildredsmam on 10 May 2018 - 02:44 AM in Outdoor Enclosures

I thought I would post this here as I found it really good and helpful when making an outside enclosure.  :)

It's that time of year again when everyone is building fantastic outside enclosures! Hopefully my outdoor housing guide can help newbies with a few tips and tricks.

https://www.tortoise.../housing-adults

#68440 Introducing A New Tortoise To Another

Posted by mildredsmam on 06 May 2018 - 02:31 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Once again thanks very much for the info

He seems fine - he is eating well and looks really relaxed - perhaps he was henpecked!!!

I think I will leave him on his own

Hi Barny,

I think you've made the right choice, as another thing to think about would be any new tortoise would need quarantining from him for at least 6 months, but some tortoises carry viruses that go undetected for some years and no quarantine shows this until it's too late, this can be a big factor and a risk to the male you already have, and some times it's not worth the risk.  :) 

#68419 Tortoise Seems Very Sluggish

Posted by mildredsmam on 23 April 2018 - 03:43 PM in Health

Over the past week my tortoise has seemed very sluggish and isn't eating like he normally does, any suggestions on what it could be? Even this weekend with the nice weather we had he wasn't very active at all :-/

Hi Katie,

Can you give us a bit more information like age of your tortoise and how your keeping him.  :) 

#68391 Good Home Needed.

Posted by mildredsmam on 16 April 2018 - 01:45 AM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

We have a 45 year old tortoise, that requires a good home.

Free to collect for the right person/ family.

Hi if Sue can't help have you thought of contacting the TPG as they do a rehoming service, they look into finding your tortoise the best new home with the right set up, if it's some thing you would be interested in you can message Kay who runs this side of things here  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1350930252&ref=br_rs :) 

#68384 Chicory

Posted by mildredsmam on 07 April 2018 - 01:21 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi the Chicory will be fine to feed, here you go http://www.thetortoi...s/?plant=87&c=6 do you also grow weeds as well, I have two areas in my garden that I grow weed seeds so my tortoises can't get to them, I also plant the enclosure up but that doesn't last long lol, feeding the Violas are fine mine will eat both viola and pansy.  :)

#68380 At Last My Tort Has Been Outside

Posted by mildredsmam on 06 April 2018 - 04:21 PM in Off Topic Chat

Hi it's lovely to see them back outside after this very long winter, lovely pictures.  :) 

#68377 Is This Lamp Good For My Hermann Hatchling (I M Worried)

Posted by mildredsmam on 04 April 2018 - 03:59 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Hello , Sabina  thank you for the kind words.  I am sure that I did the best I could to help him while he is here ( I soak him everyday for a lil and have his subtray humid. All the things I worried , I found out that everyone  experienced them and they are normal in this level for a tort in its new home. I am sure that  where I found him his legs were hurt and almost dragged him self until today. This morning I saw him for the first time to really lift his shell so I guess he gets better. He is eating well and I provide him extra calcium. Also I threw away  the lamp I had and put his table under a semi sun - semi shade spot  and he bask until he is full of it the retreats in the shade under his favorite tree in the table. You are right about his freedom and it will be his very soon after I am sure that his legs are fine.

You have my regards and I didnt want any argument , I know its normal to worry extra with ur experience on the subject when you talk with a begginer but you don't need to worry. I'll keep him a couple of days until I see progress with his back legs and then I'll release him in a good spot I know.

Hi,

I do agree with every thing Sue has said none of it has been said to upset you or cause an argument and not because your a beginner to the tortoise world, it has been said because you are so lucky to live in a place where tortoises live naturally and that must be lovely to see, and such a shame to keep one at your home when they have a choice to live free, we do in the uk try and replace natural enclosures as good as we can but we can't compare with what you have, i'm so pleased to hear your going to release this little one back into the wild where he/she will be better off, you've done a great job looking after him/ her but nothing comes close to nature.  :) 

#68359 Egg Shells?

Posted by mildredsmam on 02 April 2018 - 03:10 AM in Suitable Foods

Hi all,

i read somewhere recently about feeding your tortoise Egg Shells as an extra means of calcium, is this suitable? 

Queenie is always reluctant to eat a Cuttlefish bone (it just sits there for weeks uneaten), i sprinkle limestone flour onto her food every couple of days, but wondering if the egg shell trick might work too?

if so are chicken eggs suitable? Do they just go into the oven to be sterilised and then crushed down into her food?

Thanks!

Nic

Hi Nic,

They seem to eat Cuttlefish and lump chalk better when it's been outside for time and weathered off a bit, I have lump chalk in my set ups you can buy it from this lady, you can message her through facebook  https://www.facebook..._location=groupyou would also be best getting some Nekton msa which she has as well.  :) 

#68358 Tortoise Tables Uk

Posted by mildredsmam on 02 April 2018 - 02:59 AM in Links to Other Websites

I thought I would post this link here as I think this person is going to do really well in the tortoise world.  :) 

Tortoise Tables UK

1f422.png🐢!OUR ONLINE STORE IS NOW OPEN! 1f422.png🐢

Amazing products at every day low prices!

Shop now and received 10% your first order with code - LAUNCH10
https://www.tortoise...uk/online-store

#68350 Is This Lamp Good For My Hermann Hatchling (I M Worried)

Posted by mildredsmam on 01 April 2018 - 02:39 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi, I am a begginer in Tortoise care and I got this little cute  Hermann Hatchling . I bought a lamp (ReptilDay Halogen 50W) Lamp wich is used for both UV light and heat  . My tort doesnt have any problem yet and likes to stay under it but I notice that the little thing tries sometimes to look away or have its eyes closed .... Is it sleeping or it doesnt stand the light?   I firstly had the spotlight 35 CM away and i started getting worried so I put it 50cm away.  Do you know if this lamp is good or bad for my Tort or should I adjust the height? Wich height is the best?
I'll post pictures of the lamp box and the lamp itself.

Hi welcome to the forum.  :) 

This bulb is just a heat bulb and doesn't give off any uvb which is also needed, do you have another uv bulb or is it just this one you have, with this you need it to be at a height where the temperature under it is 32 that's the best temperature for your tortoise to bask under if it's been too hot under there your tortoise will move away, if this is the only bulb you have then it needs either replacing with a combined heat and uv bulb the Mega-ray bulb is one of the best around at the minute or you need an additional uv bulb, also it's hard to see but if the bulb holder is plastic I would change that to a ceramic holder as well as the plastic ones are not safe with the amount of heat given out hope that helps.  :) 

#68341 Back From Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 28 March 2018 - 02:26 AM in Photo Gallery

Good to have all the babies back from hibernation.
This is a 3 year 9 month old youngster. Weighing in at 106 grams.

Well done, your babies are grown so lovely, I look forward to seeing how they look in years to come credit to you.  :)