mildredsmam's Content

There have been 140 items by mildredsmam (Search limited from 21-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#68094 How I Keep Plants To Leave Longer In The Indoor Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 06 January 2018 - 03:06 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Will have to give carex a go, the gardens full of it.

I also have this in their outside enclosure, it works well indoors and the babies like to dig down under it on a night.  :) 

#68092 How I Keep Plants To Leave Longer In The Indoor Enclosure

Posted by mildredsmam on 05 January 2018 - 03:03 AM in Hermann Tortoise

I have Carex grass in my table and it's lasted ages, it's planted into the soil which is deep with me having Horsfields, the plants are near the heat lamp but not too close and have been there forever and are doing really well, this is the only plant i've planted in there that lasts.  :) 

#68085 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 03 January 2018 - 05:07 AM in Hibernation

Hi do i need some water or anything in fridge for moisture? I have a bottle of water in with lid on. Tiddles seems settled do i leave him completely for 2 weeks just opening door twice a day. Amanda

I have bottles of water in to help keep the temps stable but don't have any water in, I do make sure the soil in the box isn't dry though I have that a little moist.  :) 

#68079 Happy New Year.

Posted by mildredsmam on 31 December 2017 - 06:54 AM in Off Topic Chat

I would just like to wish all members a happy new year, lets hope it's a good one enjoy.  :partypopper:  :cheers: 

#68077 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 29 December 2017 - 04:21 AM in Hibernation

Hi Karen Tiddles is now in the fridge. He was 126 when he went in so only lost 3 g during wind down. What do i need to do now. Is it open the door once a day for air. When do i weigh him again?
Thanks amanda

That's great Amanda, 

I normally open my fridge twice a day once on a morning once at night just quickly, keep a check on the fridge temperatures at all times in case they change, once Tiddles has settled you can weigh him weekly and just give him a quick check over, you'll be surprised how fast the weeks go by.  :) 

#68068 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 24 December 2017 - 03:25 AM in Hibernation

Hi Karen it was from 7.30 til about 3.30 and started reducing Thurs x

Hi Amanda,

Leave the lights on a couple of hours over the next few days to get you over Christmas, then Tuesday put some where cooler and into the fridge Wednesday morning, make sure you weigh Tiddles before going into the fridge and give a few soaks before hand as hydration is a must.  :) 

#68064 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 23 December 2017 - 01:07 PM in Hibernation

Hi karen. Today after reducing heat by 2 hours each day tiddles only has light on from 7 30 til 9.30 then tomorrow nothing is that right until he goes into fridge on Wed?
It's so scary isn't it. Amanda

Hi Amanda,

How long were you having the lights on for when you started to reduce them,  when did you start reducing heat as that seems quite fast to get to no lights.  :) 

#68063 Happy Christmas

Posted by mildredsmam on 23 December 2017 - 08:25 AM in Off Topic Chat

I would just like to wish all members a happy christmas, i hope you have a lovely day.  :snowman-2: 

#68061 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 December 2017 - 02:18 PM in Hibernation

Thanks I think I just needed that bit reassurance with it all being so new. He is a tough little guy so I'm hoping he does well in hibernation.
Thanks again for your help. It's the count down now so will let you know how it goes putting him in.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

You'll be fine the first hibernation is always the worse, keep me updated.  :) 

#68060 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 December 2017 - 01:57 PM in Hibernation

Hi Karen
You mentioned light and basking temp, so what do i do in last week windown when I use Megaray bulbs + a Arcadia UV strip.
Megaray bulbs are both light and basking bulb at the same time.
Thank you
Sabina

Hi Sabina,

In the last week just have the Mega-ray on and reduce the hours daily.  :) 

#68057 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 21 December 2017 - 05:07 AM in Hibernation

Thank you
Thanks karen yes he has and doesn't come out as early or stay up as long. He usually digs down around 1pm lights go on about 7.30 but I usually leave light on til 3 is this ok.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Just what ever you've had the lights on reduce by 2 hours a day down to nothing then in a cooler room before putting him in the fridge, your doing fine and he'll be ok.  :) 

#68055 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 20 December 2017 - 05:33 PM in Hibernation

That's on the third week I mean about reducing day hours and temps.
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Reduce the hours by 2 hours a day but leave the basking temp the same, when your at the end of the week and no lights are on you can move him to a cooler room before going into the fridge, soak a few times this week, has he slowed down now.  :)

#68048 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 16 December 2017 - 04:28 AM in Hibernation

Hi Amanda,

How's things going have you weighed Tiddles through the start of wind down, and are you giving him regular soaks.  :) 

#68047 Photo Album (In Chronological Order)

Posted by mildredsmam on 16 December 2017 - 04:25 AM in Photo Gallery

Hello Everyone,

I have put together a small photo album of my two Hermann babies.

Pictures are in chronological order.

Happy holidays season/ Merry Xmas!

Sabina

Hi Sabina,

What lovely photo's of the two of them their beautiful and coming on great.  :) 

#68044 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 11 December 2017 - 05:16 PM in Hibernation

Hi Karen. I'm fridge hibernating. So second week is exactly the same then last week reduce basking hours. He seems to be doing fine so far.

Thanks
Amanda

Yes that's right, have you got the fridge running now and checking the temps.  :) 

#68042 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 11 December 2017 - 04:46 AM in Hibernation

Ok good so I'm on the right track. So from next Thurs am I keeping temps the same but less hours of basking?
Should I wind down for 3 weeks then hibernate for 8?
Amanda

Hi Amanda, 

Don't over think it, the 2nd week heat and light as normal if he's too active you can lower the basking temp a bit then start to reduce the hours in the 3rd week still giving regular soaks, yes wind down for 3 and hibernate for 8 if every things fine, are you fridge or box hibernating.  :) 

#68040 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 10 December 2017 - 03:33 PM in Hibernation

Ok thanks Karen. Tiddles is 129g I stopped feeding him from Thurs. Been giving soaks and having fresh water put in his enclosure regularly . He is pooping plenty considering he hasn't eaten since we'd.
Amanda

That's the idea Amanda the wind down is for him to empty his gut of every thing, he needs heat to be able to digest any food he has left it does take some time for them to digest their food.  :) 

#68038 Hibernation

Posted by mildredsmam on 10 December 2017 - 03:11 AM in Hibernation

Hi I started wind down for my tort on thurs. He is 2. Do i do it for 2 weeks or 3. Am I right that I stop good first week and keep temp same. Second week reduce day light keeping temp same. And third week np light or just less heat and less basking hours? What do i put him in fridge in? Thanks
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Remind me of his weight again, yes first week heat as normal but no food and plenty of soaks, make sure there's nothing edible left in his enclosure like plants.  :) 

#68035 Hibernate

Posted by mildredsmam on 03 December 2017 - 09:54 AM in Hibernation

Hi Djs,

I've just read through the full post and i agree the problem your having is down to your set up, these coil uv bulbs are no good and it's been said they can hurt tortoises eyes, you need bright light and good uv for a healthy active hatchling, i would change all the lights/uv you have and just have one bulb i would order the Mega-ray bulb these bulbs dont work with a thermstat but can go on a timer, i think you'll notice a big difference with the correct lighting, Mega-ray have a deal on at the minute  http://www.megaray.c...sted-p-145.html hope that helps.  :)

#68010 Tortoise Protection Group Calendar 2018

Posted by mildredsmam on 15 November 2017 - 11:33 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Sue do you know much about this, it's all over the groups at the minute.  :wink: 

THE ALBERA TORTOISE PRJECT*
Now featured on HermanniHaven.com is "The Albera Tortoise Project". This conservation initiative is crucial in saving this genetically distinct form of Testudo hermanni hermanni from extinction. Already an endangered species (and one of the most endangered reptiles of Western Europe), the Albera form of the western Hermann's tortoise is at immediate risk for a devastating future.
PLEASE PLEASE visit the page, read about the project and then click the "DONATE NOW" button at the bottom to show your support.
This is the direct link: https://www.hermanni...ortoise-project
Thank you all in advance.  

#68007 Tortoise Protection Group Calendar 2018

Posted by mildredsmam on 15 November 2017 - 03:19 AM in Hermann Tortoise

The calendars are for sale and this is to raise money for this year’s chosen Charity: the Durrell Trust Ploughshare Tortoise Project.

http://www.tortoise-...ar_2018_210.asp

There's loads of tortoise calendars out at the minute, everyone has done one I never buy these as I get my own done all with different pictures of my tortoises.  :)

#68003 Photo Comparison: Size On 11/11/2016 Vs. Size On 11/11/ 2017

Posted by mildredsmam on 13 November 2017 - 05:29 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi I haven't weighed her again yet but she seems to be eating well which I hope is a good sign. I will keep you up to date when I weigh her. How often would u say still once a month or more often.

I weigh my little ones once a month.  :) 

#67996 Photo Comparison: Size On 11/11/2016 Vs. Size On 11/11/ 2017

Posted by mildredsmam on 12 November 2017 - 04:04 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi. Thanks for your response. Mine are also from sue. I got them in August 2015. Unfortunately one dominated the other so much so that I had to seperate. The bigger is around 120 g and the little one 36 now even in a large outdoor enclosure they wernt happy together,it was around 4 times the size of indoor one. Inside I have a large indoor plastic rabbit cage . Perhaps it could be space relayed but I'm hoping they can live together eventually. Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Is the little one still doing ok has he/she gained any more weight.  :) 

#67995 Photo Comparison: Size On 11/11/2016 Vs. Size On 11/11/ 2017

Posted by mildredsmam on 12 November 2017 - 04:03 AM in Hermann Tortoise

Hello

Look how they have grown in the space of 1 year.

The photos attached were taken respectively on 11/11/2016 and 11/11/2017.

They are 26 months old now, and just above 70 grams.

Sabina

Hi Sabina,

It's nice to see photos like this with size difference, their both lovely, they look really good with lovely growth.   :) 

#67986 Housing Different Species

Posted by mildredsmam on 09 November 2017 - 04:02 AM in Indoor Enclosures

I agree with Sue, it not worth the risk to your tortoise, you do see people say they get on great living together and maybe at first to them it looks as though they do, but when things do go wrong most of the time you dont hear about it.  :wink: