wizzasmum's Content

There have been 252 items by wizzasmum (Search limited from 17-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#67905 Hatchling Hermanns

Posted by wizzasmum on 09 October 2017 - 10:59 PM in Tortoises For Sale or Rehoming

Home reared baby hermanns. Hatched July 2017. Ready to go now. All come with DEFRA documentation, care sheets and after sales help for as long as required. Delivered where possible and will meet half way for longer distances. 35years experience with hermanni tortoises. £90 each or £170 for two.

#67902 Half A Century!

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 October 2017 - 11:30 PM in Photo Gallery

Wow, that must have been some event in the 60’s. I’m guessing you knew the parents owners?

#67901 Rescued A Tortoise But Finding It Hard Work

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 October 2017 - 07:04 PM in Hermann Tortoise

To correspond with normal daylight hours, but she will need additional ambient heat or she will go into hibernation mode and lose valuable reserves, due to reduced natural light.
Hope this helps.

#67898 Rescued A Tortoise But Finding It Hard Work

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 October 2017 - 12:53 PM in Hermann Tortoise

You still need basking facilities. Tortoises need it in this country, even in the channel isles. They may survive for many years, but we need them to thrive. When you think we don’t have a wild population of tortoises, it makes it clearer that we absolutely must supplement our uk weather.

#67896 Rescued A Tortoise But Finding It Hard Work

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 October 2017 - 06:43 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Where are you? In UK?

#67894 Rescued A Tortoise But Finding It Hard Work

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 October 2017 - 05:41 PM in Hermann Tortoise

I dont keep mine outdoors that late, as we can have some hard ground frosts overnight. If Missy is going to stay in the greenhouse this long then you will need background heat on a thermostat for 24 hours. Its good shes having a good area in the garden to explore. Youve done wonders for her. To check growth, have a look at the lighter coloured growth lines on her shell. They should be no wider than a fine pencil line. Thick bands of lighter coloured growth indicate overfeeding. Hope this helps.

#67878 Photobucket

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 September 2017 - 07:36 AM in Any Problems or Suggestions?

Photobucket has now decided we have to pay $400 if we want to share our hosted images. No-one's going to pay that, so for anyone who'd like a free alternative, try www.imgbb.com

That's brilliant thanks Graham. I was wondering what to do next as removed all my photos from photobucket and deleted the account. Cheek of the people!

#67877 Half A Century!

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 September 2017 - 07:34 AM in Photo Gallery

Happy belated birthday Harry. Was he obtained as a hatchling Graham or is it his 'gotcha' day lol?

#67876 Going On Holiday During Wind Down What To Do For The Best.

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 September 2017 - 07:32 AM in Hibernation

Thanks so much for your replies.  I am in the south west  of England, near Bath. So not the coldest part or the country.  He is already getting up late - 8ish  and going to bed early - 4ish and spending most of his awake time under his lamp - (Oh to be a tortoise!).  As soon as there is a sunny spell he comes for a dash round the garden, but its short lived.
Hopefully we will have some more sunny spells before the end of Oct.

I'd be expecting him to dig down before then, but so long as you know he's in the greenhouse you can get him back up again and carry on hibernation in his box as you usually do. Is he still eating?

#67875 Male Spurthide

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 September 2017 - 07:29 AM in All Other Species of Tortoise

Can you give more details please i.e. Where are you, how has it been kept previously, pics etc.

#67874 Prolapse Or Anatomy?

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 September 2017 - 07:27 AM in Health

Hi, really sorry for not replying sooner. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications. Sometimes tortoises, particularly older ones or those that are calcium deficient do push their 'bits' in and out. You say she does it at will, so it's unlikely to be a prolapse, just a normal part of the anatomy. I'm guessing your vet has x-rayed, to determine your tortoise is impacted. If so, he should be doing a little more than just suggesting bathing. Is he an exotic vet or just one who sees the occasional tortoise? Has your tortoise had a change in substrate to make her start eating it, or has she been outdoors for the summer?

#67857 Keeping Tortoises With A Weakened Immune System

Posted by wizzasmum on 03 September 2017 - 05:30 PM in Hermann Tortoise

I'm sure you won't regret it Flora they are very addictive. I have little ones, but still very small. The biggest is 25 grams and I like them to be 30 grams before they go, to give them a good start in life. I let them go at all times of the year, so long as people have the right set up for them. This is how I keep my tiny one www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm and here is a pic of this years babies having their daily bath. I like to deliver my babies where possible as I don't trust couriers. If people are a long way away I am happy to meet halfway :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5961.JPG

#67855 Lou Making The Most Of The Good Weather

Posted by wizzasmum on 03 September 2017 - 07:41 AM in Photo Gallery

Might be short lived, looking at the weather today. Still lots of orange hawkweed for guzzling though, plus a bit of plantain, clover and mallow.

#67853 Keeping Tortoises With A Weakened Immune System

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 September 2017 - 09:56 PM in Hermann Tortoise

I've kept and bred them for over thirty years now and haven't come across a problem, but it's always best to be cautious. I would expect there to be less risk with captive bred, but then a risk is a risk I suppose. Both my daughter and granddaughter have been immunosupressed and neither had a problem. Good luck and if you need any advice on keeping a little one, there's always someone here to help out.

#67851 Keeping Tortoises With A Weakened Immune System

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 September 2017 - 04:21 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Hi there. I know of several people who keep tortoises with autoimmune disorders. I have to admit I didn't know there was a direct problem between salmonella and immune problems. Is that just because you have to be careful re infection? I know of people with MS, rheumatoid arthritis etc who keep tortoises with no problems, all of them long term keepers. It's always important to be careful to avoid cross contamination, so be careful with hand washing etc, but as far as I know most tortoise problems are not transmissible to other species, according to one of the vets on another group. Hope this helps, sorry not be more helpful.

#67849 Lou Making The Most Of The Good Weather

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 September 2017 - 09:14 AM in Photo Gallery

Searching for clover amongst the hawkweed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6269.JPG

#67847 Should My Horsefield Tortoise Be Hibernating Already

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 September 2017 - 07:51 AM in Hermann Tortoise

That's probably the problem Gary. Taking them out on warm days and bringing them in at night causes confusion, as the ambient temps overnight are higher than outdoors. Your cool side at 28 is far too warm, it needs to drop much cooler, especially overnight. They really need permanent outdoor accommodation, so they can thermoregulate naturally. You really mustn't let him hibernate indoors as the temps are too high. It might work for a while, but he will get weaker as the years go on. 5 degrees is the optimum temperature for hibernation and although we can only rely on this constantly using a fridge, he still needs to keep as close to this as possible. At ten degrees and above he's using up valuable stores which will eventually affect the kidneys.

#67839 Saying Hello From Les And Willow

Posted by wizzasmum on 25 August 2017 - 08:34 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

Hi Les, welcome to the forum. You are right that care is the same for both species, but behaviour is different, also they both carry different pathogens, so they should never be kept together. Providing they are kept separately, they will be fine under the same regime. Hope this helps :)

#67837 Egg Laying

Posted by wizzasmum on 21 August 2017 - 07:36 AM in Hermann Tortoise

So she's showing a need to nest? I'd just try to increase heat where she usually nests, this is what will trigger her.

#67835 Egg Laying

Posted by wizzasmum on 20 August 2017 - 06:40 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Have they been together this year? I wouldn't worry as there are odd years when they don't lay.

#67833 Egg Laying

Posted by wizzasmum on 20 August 2017 - 04:17 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Do you have a male? Harassment can stop them laying, also if you are using a friends male, could be she's not been stimulated to produce eggs.

#67831 Egg Laying

Posted by wizzasmum on 20 August 2017 - 01:18 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Providing you have a male, then best to leave well alone. Inducing eggs is rarely necessary as many torts carry eggs through to the next season. It's only a problem if she is climbing the walls in nesting fashion, in which case, keep her within a good nesting site with added heat for encouragement. I had a female induced by a 'knowledgeable!' Vet some years ago and it took several years for her to recover. It was only after years of her repeatedly dropping infertile eggs and being generally lethargic that it was explained to me how her system had been well and truly messed up. Some vets do it as routine ( same as antibiotics etc) but I wouldn't do it again. Hope this helps.

#67828 Hermann Tortoise Newbie

Posted by wizzasmum on 10 August 2017 - 11:14 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Thanks again, I have emailed Arlene so hopefully will get a reply tomorrow

Fingers crossed. If she doesn't have anything available, we can probably find someone else near to you. Good luck :)

#67826 Hermann Tortoise Newbie

Posted by wizzasmum on 10 August 2017 - 08:37 PM in Hermann Tortoise

It's a common mistake to make, especially as most commercial table tops have them. Pet shops rarely know much about tortoises, other than what they have been trained to say to make a sale, often very convincingly. This lady is a recognised breeder in your area, so I'd ask her if she has any available before buying an import, it could save you a lot of money in the long run. Hampshire - Arlene Mitchel - tillytortoise@hotmail.com 07814 117655
Good luck :)

#67823 Hermann Tortoise Newbie

Posted by wizzasmum on 09 August 2017 - 09:35 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Basically heat mats are a no no with all tortoises. Heat should come from above as in nature. Tortoises need a cool area to go to at will and their natural way to do this is to leave the basking and well lit area, again the same as they would in nature. If this area then has a heat mat in place it won't allow the tortoise to cool down properly. You don't need a bedroom as again tortoises naturally dig down into the substrate to thermoregulate. This behaviour also helps with smooth growth, preventing dehydration. You will find that when tortoises are not allowed to do this theywill drink a lot, which naturally they don't do. Avoid most pet shop advice as the majority of the stuff they will advise you to buy is unnecessary. Always think of what the tortoise would experience in the wild and you won't go far wrong. Also, do buy your tortoise from a breeder to avoid the increasingly unfit tortoises available from the commercial pet trade.