wizzasmum's Content

There have been 223 items by wizzasmum (Search limited from 14-December 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#68033 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 December 2017 - 05:39 PM in Hibernation

Is it a screw in? You need a tube. Wattage isn’t important but needs to be at least 10% uvb.

#68031 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 December 2017 - 05:16 PM in Hibernation

Yes it’s a common problem at this time of year due to low light levels. The basking bulb is good but not as a high light output, that needs to be uvb. What is your uvb source?

#68029 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM in Hibernation

At last I was using iPhone that was the he problem the s is my set up we got there

Its clear from the pic that its a light problem. Those ceramic heaters are only any good for very cold areas o ernight, not for house use except with lizards etc. The baby needs to be able to see the light source rather than feel it. In the wild with light levels similar to your setup he would be going into hibernation mode. You could do with a megaray 100 watt bulb with ceramic fitting and shade to increase light levels. Im sure you will see a difference immediately. You definitely need to ditch the stat too, very confusing to little ones especially. Is the shell nice and hard?

#68026 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 December 2017 - 10:59 PM in Hibernation

Sorry there's no wordsmore but thanks I get what you mean about ceramic and will try mega ray I thought the ceramic would have been better again some times there's to much info out there thanks again Dave

When you get confused with all the conflicting advice out there, always think of what they would have in nature, so bright light, like the sun, all heat from above, cool overnight, deep substrate to dig down into and moisture overnight, as in the dew on the ground. Hopefully youre using open topped accommodation and not a Viv, as again thats not consistent with good health. This is one of my 15 week babies and this is how I rear them www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm Good luck :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DA5C1EF8-3114-4724-A7C0-EE08B9DD1CBA.jpeg

#68024 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 December 2017 - 09:09 PM in Hibernation

Tortoise was 10g when 1st hatched as I said above I have a ceramic lamp with pulse thermostat keeps perfect temperature I only got the screw in uvb bulb after a lot of googling I think I will change that to a mega ray thanks for your help think I was panicking to much this after noon came out eat a lot I did take hide out and she has gone underground couldn't find more options on reply?

Thats the problem though Djs you dont want a static temperature and you need to remove the ceramic bulb and use a very bright light basking bulb. Ceramic lamps are no good for tortoises. The heat needs to be on constantly and not going on and off with a star. Thats why the little one is hiding away.
At the bottom of the reply box on the right hand side, next to post, is a little box with the wordsMore Reply Options in. If you click on that you will be able to add a pic. It will open a new box where it says Choose File

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EB7370A-F3B1-4F8E-8C36-2AEB20BB83F7.jpeg

#68019 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 December 2017 - 04:53 PM in Hibernation

Could send a picture if I new how

Click on quote to reply, then click on More reply options and add pics from those saved on your pc, iPad or phone

#68018 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 December 2017 - 04:38 PM in Hibernation

Thanks we had 3 eggs we tried last year this year lucky one hatched
Temp 32-33 and 20 when ceramic light goes of that's on a
Pulse thermostat I'm using reptile uvb 100 lamp
Thinking of changing to a mega ray in the table I have half dirt half Co core I think they called it
Only ever eaten weeds with calci-dust most days doesn't like it also nutrobal hats that always check if safe food
Bath every day under the lamp. Happy for any advice
Thanks Dave

Are you using a ceramic lamp for heat? You need very bright light to encourage mobility in hatchlings and an interest in food. Don’t use thermostats as these just cause confusion, you need a permanent bright hot spot, same as in nature. If using separate heat and uvb, you need a uvb tube as the plug in uvb is not much use other than to brighten dark corners. Sounds as though your problem might be insufficient light levels. What did the baby weigh on hatching? Megaray are excellent but won’t work on a stat. Stats are only any use for incubation, not general keeping. Are you keeping the substrate moist? Try Nekton MSA for little ones, it’s much better than other preparations and use it daily, not sporadically. Hope this helps.

#68015 Hibernate

Posted by wizzasmum on 01 December 2017 - 01:59 PM in Hibernation

Has someone sold you this hatchling or is it one of your own bred babies? It’s roughly the size of a newly hatched baby for a hermanni, which should be bigger than this by now. How are you keeping it i.e. heat levels, uvb, substrate, supplementation and feeding. At this size it certainly shouldn’t be behaving this way. Make sure the heat is up to 32 degrees with the option of moving out of the heat. Remove the hide as these are not good for hatchlings, they are better digging into the substrate to thermoregulate, often they will stay in hides as there isn’t enough stimulation to wake in the morning. Do you have pics at all?

#68008 Tortoise Protection Group Calendar 2018

Posted by wizzasmum on 15 November 2017 - 08:11 AM in Hermann Tortoise

And beautiful ones they are too Karen. Ive been to the Durrell foundation and while there are some good projects such as the ploughshare tortoise conservation, I’m not sure how many of these animals will ever be reintroduced to the wild and how many are being kept captive unnecessarily? I’m all for conservation efforts, but not if those animals are only to be kept in substandard captivity and never reintroduced to their natural habitat. On the whole, I get really upset after zoo visits, so don’t go any more. A zoo not too far from here is supposedly the best in the UK. If that’s the case, then things are not looking good. Large animals, used to roaming many miles, kept in small enclosures, showing the usual classic signs of stress, infant deaths, unwanted males culled and fed to other animals.

#68005 Alternative Vet

Posted by wizzasmum on 13 November 2017 - 06:30 PM in Health

Always interested to hear reports on good holistic vets. We’ve got one in the next village, Barbara Jones. She’s not got a lot of experience in Chelonia though, so I’ve never taken the chance with her. Don’t tell her though, I might need her for my dog one day lol :)

#68004 Tank Has A Cold

Posted by wizzasmum on 13 November 2017 - 06:28 PM in Health

Did the vet say which bugs were responsible? RNS is just a symptom, hopefully the vet did swabs first before treating and it’s just in the nares and not the lungs. Is he still eating ok?

#68001 Mediterranean Herbs As Natural Remedies For Ill Tortoises

Posted by wizzasmum on 13 November 2017 - 03:37 PM in Health

It’s difficult to tell, I imagine, if the therapeutic effects of herbs on tortoises systems are the same as they are on humans, given that they have different digestive systems, in that foods pass through much slower than in mammals. Tortoises such as hermanni and graeca, that live in areas rich in herbs such as thyme, oregano, rosemary etc are rarely (if ever) seen eating these herbs. That’s not to say they might have some innate instinct if they are unwell. I have one that will do anything to reach foxgloves, but the time she did manage to knock a pot over and eat a fair bit she was ill and needed flushing with water for a couple of days. It’s 15 years since that happened and despite all foxgloves now being eradicated, she’s still with us, so I guess I’ll never know if she had heart problems :)

#67989 Tics On Tortoises

Posted by wizzasmum on 11 November 2017 - 12:49 PM in Health

I’ve never seen them in this country on torts Alex, but was involved in removing African bont tics from a Heathrow seizure once. That was a nightmare, given the strength of leopards. Because torts are so slow and often dig into scrapes in land occupied by wild mammals they simply crawl onto them and dig into the skin where it’s less scaly such as the tops of the legs. They usually only pose health problems in large numbers. We put a tiny dab of meths on the ones at the sanctuary which often makes them release the grip then you can remove them easily with little fork shaped tweezers. You have to be careful not to leave the head in, sometimes it takes a couple of attempts. I’m not sure of a breeding season for tics, but they can attach to dogs at any time. There’s no deterrent that’s safe with torts, you just have to avoid areas frequented by deer and sheep. In over thirty years I’ve never had them on my torts :)

#67984 Temp Just Before Getting In The Fridge

Posted by wizzasmum on 08 November 2017 - 11:24 PM in Hibernation

I don’t use a fridge anymore, but when I did I used to put them into a cool room the day before and pop them in early morning after a cold night. As I don’t have my house heating on overnight, it would be around 10 -12 degrees. It takes them a couple of weeks to settle properly and if they are in dense substrate such as soil, any shock will be minimal. Hope this helps :)

#67982 Over Winter Now?

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 06:13 PM in Hibernation

That sounds a better idea. Good luck :)

#67980 Housing Different Species

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 05:49 PM in Indoor Enclosures

Many people have tried this sort of thing and I dont know of even one who it worked for. Different species carry different pathogens, which can be fine in a single species group, but when different species are kept in close proximity with no escape from each other, one usually succumbs pretty quickly, not to mention the very different behaviours, its survival of the fittest Im afraid. Ive seen several groups of tortoises wiped out completely simply by introducing a different species. Id never risk it personally.

#67978 Over Winter Now?

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 04:34 PM in Hibernation

The problem with drinks chillers is that because they are not rated for food, there’s no law to say those temps can be maintained. You would be better looking for an actual fridge that is rated for food to be honest. Attics are dangerous places for hibernation as the chances of sticking at 5 degrees are zero. They get warm when the sun comes out and freeze when the weather is at its worst as the insulation is below the tortoise not above. Many tortoises used to die this way. The weight lost in wind down isn’t true weight, just the gut emptying :)

#67976 Natural Edible Chalk

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 03:33 PM in Suitable Foods

Ok, will try that thanks, my daughters not very eBay savvy lol

#67975 Over Winter Now?

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 03:31 PM in Hibernation

Tortoises often hibernate with head out if there isn’t a lot of dense substrate around them, it’s fine. I don5 check mine in the first month as it does disturb them. Your household fridge would be ok if you don’t open it too often as that will alter temps and don’t use a fridge that is a fridge freezer combi. Daft question, but is your fridge on the highest setting and not the lowest? Were they originally wild caught? If home grown, the Jackson ratio isn’t a lot of use as shell density is usually very different to wild ones, which the ratio was formulated for.

#67974 Sexing Young Tortoises

Posted by wizzasmum on 07 November 2017 - 03:26 PM in Hermann Tortoise

Yes Beckylou, both male. They should be fine together given plenty of room and no females ;)

#67969 Natural Edible Chalk

Posted by wizzasmum on 06 November 2017 - 10:16 PM in Suitable Foods

There’s plenty in Dover, but don’t think they’d like us taking that lol. My daughter just tried to order the eBay one and it wouldn’t let her! Oh well, back to the homemade limestone blocks :)

#67968 Over Winter Now?

Posted by wizzasmum on 06 November 2017 - 09:24 PM in Hibernation

If you’ve already warmed her up, yes it’s best to keep her out, but if not she will be fine.

#67965 Over Winter Now?

Posted by wizzasmum on 06 November 2017 - 05:48 PM in Hibernation

A lot depends on what substrate you are using for hibernation. When they dig down outdoors and hibernate naturally, they can actually come up heavier than when they went in, which is great. When hibernated in very dry conditions though, there’s more chance of weight loss. After 8 days, she won’t be properly in hibernation, it takes a few weeks for them to settle, even at correct temps. Have you weighed her? If she’s lost a large percentage then it’s probably best to take her out, but if it’s only a small amount, you could give her asoak at this stage and see if she takes any fluid on board and pop her back in. The poo is not important, provided you’ve wound her down at correct temp as the poo will have been in the rear of the bowel, not the stomach.

#67964 Natural Edible Chalk

Posted by wizzasmum on 06 November 2017 - 05:42 PM in Suitable Foods

No, Sabina, you’re certainly not paranoid. Years back people started giving crushed oyster shells to tortoises, heaven knows why, but a lot of this stuff was found to be contaminated with mercury poisoning. I’ve never used it and can’t see why you would, but it shows how silly trends can be dangerous. Do let us know what your findings are. I’ve been looking at various ones today and saw one was supposedly sourced from Norfolk which I thought was a bit odd. I’m not a geologist though lol

#67961 Natural Edible Chalk

Posted by wizzasmum on 06 November 2017 - 01:52 PM in Suitable Foods

Thanks Sabina. Will give it a whirl :) Thats a good price too compared with other torty sellers. Happy days!