terrypin's Content

There have been 28 items by terrypin (Search limited from 23-October 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#67145 Some Of My Thb At Various Ages

Posted by terrypin on 17 November 2016 - 06:45 PM in Photo Gallery

Sorry can't recall when I took this picture. This one is no longer with me but I would say no more than 2 year old maybe a bit less. I had some excellent growth records on.my old computer and lost the lot when it crashed. I do still have a lot of hand written records in particular referring to Leopards but all in storage with my furniture while the house is being sorted. I miss my memory at times like this.

#67128 Some Of My Thb At Various Ages

Posted by terrypin on 14 November 2016 - 08:11 PM in Photo Gallery

Thank you and yes the lightly marked ones are very popular

#67115 Some Of My Thb At Various Ages

Posted by terrypin on 13 November 2016 - 11:58 AM in Photo Gallery

P3180298%20Small.jpg

PICT7909%20Medium.jpg

PICT7919%20Medium.jpg

95.jpg

P3170295%20Small.jpg

#67085 Netcam And Remote Control Switch

Posted by terrypin on 10 November 2016 - 01:31 PM in Indoor Enclosures

The arm the holds the netcam was bought separately, it is made to hold a mobile phone but it worked for my purposes because I can clamp/clip it on the indoor enclosure.
Sabina

Thank you will I bear that in mind.

#67081 Netcam And Remote Control Switch

Posted by terrypin on 10 November 2016 - 09:15 AM in Indoor Enclosures

They're available on Amazon, Terry, I've just looked.

Thank you Graham looks like my Christmas pressie to me sorted.

#67080 How To Best Keep Temps Low And Humidity At Correct Level During Night In The...

Posted by terrypin on 10 November 2016 - 09:05 AM in Indoor Enclosures

Any experience on how to avoid too much dryness because of central heating at home?
Thank you

What you are trying to do can be really difficult unless you have a completely separate room that can be heated independently. What I have done is insulated sheds out doors which I can control the background heating,species dependent. If for adult female tropicals, they have no floor for winter nesting. For hatchling meds before and after hibernation they can be housed on tables with minimum background heating but with UV  or Daylight fluorescent tubes to promote daytime activity. I only use their heat lamps for basking and use these in a couple of session totaling no more than 6 hours a day. 

#67053 Hi New To Forum

Posted by terrypin on 08 November 2016 - 02:12 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

Don't be concerned it is normal for him to go to the toilet at this point he is still digesting food he ate and that won't have passed through yet. I prefer at least a couple of weeks with basking to be sure the last food eaten has been digested and is on its way through the system. The danger is from undigested food.

#67049 New Owner

Posted by terrypin on 08 November 2016 - 08:37 AM in Introduce Yourself Here

Hi Andy welcome to the forum. I must say your table looks well made.

#67035 Humidity Help Please!

Posted by terrypin on 07 November 2016 - 08:56 AM in Breeding

a

#67033 Netcam And Remote Control Switch

Posted by terrypin on 07 November 2016 - 08:36 AM in Indoor Enclosures

Just spotted this post at the weekend . I am very interested in both items . I did follow the link and feel this would be a fair price. Not easy to find in Jersey what with not having a Curry's over here. Although my son-inlaw works for a local electronics retailer so I am hoping these may be available at a similar price through him. My Meds only use their table in the shed for about 3 months of the year the rest either in hibernation or in their outside pen. I do still have 2 young Leopards who spend nights in the house and even in the summer when the weather is poor they don't go out. Something like this would work for them all year in the shed. where I could check the activity levels when I am not there and of course control it by turning on and off as needed. Thanks again for this post things have moved on since the days of my old B&W CCTV system.

#67029 Baby Herman Advice

Posted by terrypin on 06 November 2016 - 07:28 PM in Hibernation

OK guys outnumbered do as you wish.

#67025 Baby Herman Advice

Posted by terrypin on 06 November 2016 - 04:17 PM in Hibernation

Have to disagree here Terry. I have always seen a natural slowing in my hermanns. Not so much as with horsfields, but definitely a lowering of appetite and retiring/ digging down much earlier than in summer. Yes, they need to be 100% healthy I agree, but as I say, mine always show slower behaviour at this time of year. Even my Leo's when I had them slowed down over winter.

You must of course advise using your own experiences Sue. I still feel this 4 month old tortoise if it is being kept under completely artificial conditions why is it slowing down , what is the trigger. My adults have not eaten for 4 weeks now and it is only this last week I have left the greenhouse doors open and the temperature has dropped that they have really slowed down and most are staying dug in. When I have overwintered hatchlings in the past provided they had adequate heat and lighting they would remain active and eating.

#67010 Baby Herman Advice

Posted by terrypin on 05 November 2016 - 07:05 AM in Hibernation

I agree never to young for hibernation but my concern is if your tortoise is being kept indoors under controlled conditions why is it slowing down. In my experience Hermanns are not as affected by a slight reduction in daylight hours as in reducing the heat. If this were hatchling Graeca graeca then I could understand natural daylight shortening may affect them but not Hermanns. Do you weigh regularly and has there been any reduction lately. How frequently do you soak your hatchling and does it have permanent access to clean water. Whilst I agree hibernating very young tortoises is OK they must be 100% healthy.

#67009 Hermann

Posted by terrypin on 05 November 2016 - 06:50 AM in Hermann Tortoise

hi

I have a 6 year old Hermann she is in a large enclosure in the house with plenty of lighting substrate is Tortoise life but in the last 2 weeks she is wandering around and around the pen and making such a racket with her shell on the side walls and trying to climb out.  is she bored or just going through some stuff.  I don't hibernate her she usually quietens down when the ambient temperature drops, not at the moment it seems:)

Nicky

Hi it sounds to me like you have a very active tortoise which could mean adequate lighting and optimum temperature. I do agree totally with both Sue and Karen in that this tortoise has perhaps outgrown its enclosure. Perhaps you could let us know more details like size of enclosure day and night temperatures . Also depth and type of substrate. Maybe a reduction in daylight hours and temperature and you could prepare for a short hibernation. I am a little concerned your tortoise may be getting stressed due to the constant heat and confinement.

#66991 Hi New To Forum

Posted by terrypin on 03 November 2016 - 04:51 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

My eldest granddaughter has one similar for her Hermanns tortoise and is really pleased with it. We don't have foxes in the Channel Islands but feel sure they would be safe from predators at night if we did.Getting them to go back in at night can be a job but persevere and eventually they should do it them selves.

#66988 Hi New To Forum

Posted by terrypin on 03 November 2016 - 01:29 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

Can I say the cold frame will get very hot when the sun hits it. Particularly in the summer, so please be sure your tortoise has the option of an area where he can get some shade,and also perhaps a sunny spot not under glass to do some basking this really is the best way to supply all the UV he needs at least during the summer months

#66977 Hi New To Forum

Posted by terrypin on 01 November 2016 - 09:40 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

Could you say if this is a Hermanns tortoise or not. Most Hermanns at that age would be hibernating from now until spring. To overwinter away from the house you would need a heated insulated shed or a greenhouse with a heated insulated overnight box. Please give a little more information I hope I can help then.

#66976 Hello From Tank And Me.

Posted by terrypin on 01 November 2016 - 09:36 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome and Thanks for posting a picture

#66974 Shell Growth - First 2 Years

Posted by terrypin on 01 November 2016 - 08:33 PM in Photo Gallery

I have tried putting Juveniles in with my adults but since tortoises seem to share similar tastes in sleeping areas they invariably end up getting slept on. My concern was it affecting their shape while still growing. So in the end I have given them their own separate section of the Hermanns greenhouse and access to their own outdoor run. The ones I have in there are up to 5 year old and the larger of these may move in with the adults next year unless they are sold on.

20160408_103610%20Medium.jpg

20160408_103532%20Medium.jpg

#66940 Shell Growth - First 2 Years

Posted by terrypin on 24 October 2016 - 10:12 AM in Photo Gallery

Can't say I see what you mean regarding the coastal scutes. As for what you are achieving in terms of smooth growth well done. I have been like yourself trying grow my own hatchlings as well as I can
I have been trying this for many years and have found the difficulty arises when they become large enough to live outdoors 24/7. Once you lose control over feeding and they have access to graze and can choose which wild plants to supplement their diet or if you have the space exist on graze alone. Now you will see how a group can grow at different rates. I assume this would happen in the wild except our gardens tend to be a little more lush and watered during the summer months. I am and have been for a number of years breeding second generation CB . Good luck with what you are doing.

#66938 Humidity Help Please!

Posted by terrypin on 23 October 2016 - 09:37 AM in Breeding

If you are keeping your incubator in a warm room the heater will be hardly running to maintain temperature and evaporation will be minimal .  I would look at this as a possible reason your humidity levels are low.

#66923 Hi I Am Terrypin

Posted by terrypin on 20 October 2016 - 01:45 PM in Introduce Yourself Here

That was always my ambition to raise them to be healthy viable adults. The Leopard hatchlings I purchased from Ashley Woods in 1996 I was pleased to do this with in 2008 but since I never actually hatched them I felt a bit of a fraud ,even though they were only just hatched when I got them.. `The others of course are all my own work lol.  I wish you the best of luck with yours we are lucky not everyone hatches unrelated youngsters to be able to do this.

#66921 Home Bred Juveniles

Posted by terrypin on 20 October 2016 - 07:11 AM in Photo Gallery

Sorry no recent hatchling pictures, not bred for years all Leopard eggs are destroyed without exception. What I can do is show you a picture of one of my captive bred hatchlings, This one I have kept for myself. My interest is very much the raising of tortoises and trying to get as close as I can to adults that look the same as wild caught individuals. Thgis one was growing so well then of course reached a size where it needed to join the adults outdoors 24/7. Unrestricted access to graze has spoilt that a bit but this is  still a healthy hardy young Leopard. 

7410014-2-1.jpg

37ea1ffb-34f9-42da-9896-1178abf6f114.jpg

#66915 Home Bred Juveniles

Posted by terrypin on 19 October 2016 - 08:09 PM in Photo Gallery

These are from 5 to 7 years old a little small but grown slowly. They seem to get a spurt in growth when they move up into the adults area and graze freely. Although these have unrestricted access to grass already. Thanks for looking and your kind comment.

#66910 Home Bred Juveniles

Posted by terrypin on 19 October 2016 - 08:44 AM in Photo Gallery

A closer view of one.
PICT7909%20Medium.jpg