- - - - -

To Hibernate or not to hibernate...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

...that is the question?...I have some 17 month old young Iberas, I have kept back to study, I have already placed them into a semi-hibernation/low food intake program. Now in the wild, they would hibernate. Have any of you placed young Torts in full hibernation, if so, what sort of age/duration/results,etc?...look forward to hearing your views...T.T.

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

HI TT the youngest tortoises age i have hibernated is 8months old they where ibera , they hatched on the 4.5.92 and i hibernated them in mid december 92 for 6 weeks ,all went well even though i was really scared to do it all 3 woke up really well and started eating again after 2 days , i still have 2 of them they are hibernating now and have done so for 12yrs out the 14yrs i have had , i kept them awake for 2 winters due to house moves. i used the box method

#3 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hi p1glet, thank you very much for your informative reply, I do like to act on my own instincts/gut feelings, so I was thinking to put them down for the full hibernation, I have just got to find a dozen or so suitable boxes!...T.T.

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

That looks like a superbly grown tortoise tt perfect shell growth

#5 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

To be honest with you, my 17 month old Iberas have been on a "quite strict diet" of late, they are growing too rapid for my liking, however the parentage is of a large size, and I always pick a large one for a photo shoot!...but here is some more pics at "bath time"...T.T.

#6 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

They all look great i will post some pics of my ibera babies tomorrow 6,12 and 15 month olds batteries are dead in the camera again

#7 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

I look forward to seeing them, cheers...T.T.

#8 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:35 PM

Plenty of people hibernate the same years hatchlings only a few months old. In the wild very young hatchlings have no choice but to hibernate.
I would be wary of putting them into a semi-hibernating mode. If you are not hibernating them then keep them at usual temps and light levels as it can be dangerous for torts kept in-limbo halfway between the two as the systems don't fully slow down yet they stop eating and you could run into problems with weight loss and dehydration.

Matt

#9 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hi Matt, thanks for your advice, I probably used the wrong term, I have been trying to mimic a change in the weather/season for them. Lowering light/heat/daylight hours/food etc., to a point were I would feel confident in them being hibernated, I would like to point out that this is only in its 2nd week of trial, and I will not be hibernating them for the duration that my adults have...T.T.

#10 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Oh right so you're in wind-down then? My fifteen month-old hermanns are in the fridge at the moment and will be on week 8 next weekend. I will keep them there for 8 to 10 weeks all being well.

Matt.

#11 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

Hi Matt, cheers mate, If you do not mind me asking, do you use the "fridge method" for all your hibernating requirements?...T.T.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users