Photo

Going On Holiday During Wind Down What To Do For The Best.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

We are going away at the end of October and the neighbour that normally looks after our tortoise is now unable to. He will be well into wind down.  I am not sure what to do for the best.  He has a kennel with soil in inside a greenhouse structure that he sleeps in at night, so I could leave the light on a timer and just leave him to it. but that will mean a week without baths and the possibility that he may bury down and begin hibernation if its cold. 

Or, I could fine someone else to bath him a few times that week and have light on timer, 

or wind him down earlier and have him in the fridge and find someone to open the door for air exchange each day.

What would you do in this situation?  

Many thanks for any thoughts.

He is in his mid 40's has had one hibernation in the fridge, prior to that in a box in a shed.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:00 AM

We are going away at the end of October and the neighbour that normally looks after our tortoise is now unable to. He will be well into wind down.  I am not sure what to do for the best.  He has a kennel with soil in inside a greenhouse structure that he sleeps in at night, so I could leave the light on a timer and just leave him to it. but that will mean a week without baths and the possibility that he may bury down and begin hibernation if its cold. 

Or, I could fine someone else to bath him a few times that week and have light on timer, 

or wind him down earlier and have him in the fridge and find someone to open the door for air exchange each day.

What would you do in this situation?  

Many thanks for any thoughts.

He is in his mid 40's has had one hibernation in the fridge, prior to that in a box in a shed.

Hi I would definitely make sure you have someone to watch over him while your away whether it be during wind down or when he's hibernating, also they could do with knowing a bit about what their doing, could you not put off wind down until you come home and hibernate him a bit later in the year and get someone to check on him daily feed him etc i think that's what i would do. :) 

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Janna
In which area are you located?
Thanks

#4 Janna

Janna

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks so much for your replies.  I am in the south west  of England, near Bath. So not the coldest part or the country.  He is already getting up late - 8ish  and going to bed early - 4ish and spending most of his awake time under his lamp - (Oh to be a tortoise!).  As soon as there is a sunny spell he comes for a dash round the garden, but its short lived.

Hopefully we will have some more sunny spells before the end of Oct.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks so much for your replies.  I am in the south west  of England, near Bath. So not the coldest part or the country.  He is already getting up late - 8ish  and going to bed early - 4ish and spending most of his awake time under his lamp - (Oh to be a tortoise!).  As soon as there is a sunny spell he comes for a dash round the garden, but its short lived.
Hopefully we will have some more sunny spells before the end of Oct.

I'd be expecting him to dig down before then, but so long as you know he's in the greenhouse you can get him back up again and carry on hibernation in his box as you usually do. Is he still eating?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users