• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

I have a few questions if thats ok?? I will try and keep it simple....
Georgie is perm outside now, he has a little house with heat bulb but he doesnt stay in that and rect hes been burying, I have been digging him up and putting him in his house at night, then in the morning he gets up and then goes out and buries again??
Q1 is this little house not sufficient anymore?
Q2 would a cold frame be better and lock him in on cold days ?
Q3 is he getting ready for hibernation this early?

Sorry Im new to this!! X

#2 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

http://www.hermann-t...1529132843.jpeg

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:11 AM

I have a few questions if thats ok?? I will try and keep it simple....
Georgie is perm outside now, he has a little house with heat bulb but he doesnt stay in that and rect hes been burying, I have been digging him up and putting him in his house at night, then in the morning he gets up and then goes out and buries again??
Q1 is this little house not sufficient anymore?
Q2 would a cold frame be better and lock him in on cold days ?
Q3 is he getting ready for hibernation this early?

Sorry Im new to this!! X

Hi Millie,

It's the change in the weather that's making him dig down, he needs to warm through on a morning now before going out and have the option to warm back up if he wants too, can he dig down in the hut over night as some night time temperatures now are quite low or do you have some form of heating in there to keep the night time temps up maybe some thing to think about, are you planning on hibernating him it is a little too early yet though so you do need to try and keep him going a bit longer. 

Lovely set up you have there.  :)

#4 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

Thankyou for your reply! And Thankyou for your comment ! We have a light in there to warm him up in morning but nothing for overnight , but I was talking to my hubby last night and he is making a more permanemt hot house and bigger so he can have a heater and and his light can go higher aswell and when hes locked in it at night he can Move around more because he will be outside until he hibernates and its only gonna get colder !
Just one question though , Georgie warms up in morning then he goes out mid morning and just digs under so he doesnt seem to be eating either, im digging him up and bathing him, should I do this daily and feed him something ?
Ps yes he can dig in the hot house as I have taken the bottom out x

#5 Terrythetortoise

Terrythetortoise

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hi Millie
Looks like you’ve been doing this a bit longer than me.

I’ve just joined this forum today to ask the same questions.

I’m very new to torts. Last week I was given a Severn year old male. Who has spent the last few years living all year round in the former owners garden. No heat lamps or anything like that. I’ve been told he just dug a hole at the end of year and buried himself. Coming back up the following year.

I’ve built a very large open area with railway sleepers and today built a cold frame cutting a door to go in and out.
At this very moment in time he is sleeping amongst a pile of dry leaves I’ve put in there.

In the mornings I’ve been bring him in for a few hours to put under the uv/heat lamp. Then put him back out to eat the weeds in his area
And whilst ive been home letting him roam the whole garden.

Seems today to have slept a lot. I’m now beginning to have the worry that all new owners must have. Hibernation!!
What’s best??

My latest idea is to some how put his uv/ heat lamp into my shed and add a heater. Making an entrance and moving the cold frame to sit in front like a glass porch so to speak.

Then the big question do I let him get on with it or do I try to hibernate the little fella.
Regards Dan

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:21 AM

Thankyou for your reply! And Thankyou for your comment ! We have a light in there to warm him up in morning but nothing for overnight , but I was talking to my hubby last night and he is making a more permanemt hot house and bigger so he can have a heater and and his light can go higher aswell and when hes locked in it at night he can Move around more because he will be outside until he hibernates and its only gonna get colder !
Just one question though , Georgie warms up in morning then he goes out mid morning and just digs under so he doesnt seem to be eating either, im digging him up and bathing him, should I do this daily and feed him something ?
Ps yes he can dig in the hot house as I have taken the bottom out x

Hi Millie,

That all sounds great the over night heater will help a lot, and yes for now I would just keep digging him up and offering him food, there's a lot of tortoises that are the same at the minute it's just trying to keep them going a bit longer before starting wind down as it's just a little early at the minute.  :)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:29 AM

Hi Millie
Looks like you’ve been doing this a bit longer than me.

I’ve just joined this forum today to ask the same questions.

I’m very new to torts. Last week I was given a Severn year old male. Who has spent the last few years living all year round in the former owners garden. No heat lamps or anything like that. I’ve been told he just dug a hole at the end of year and buried himself. Coming back up the following year.

I’ve built a very large open area with railway sleepers and today built a cold frame cutting a door to go in and out.
At this very moment in time he is sleeping amongst a pile of dry leaves I’ve put in there.

In the mornings I’ve been bring him in for a few hours to put under the uv/heat lamp. Then put him back out to eat the weeds in his area
And whilst ive been home letting him roam the whole garden.

Seems today to have slept a lot. I’m now beginning to have the worry that all new owners must have. Hibernation!!
What’s best??

My latest idea is to some how put his uv/ heat lamp into my shed and add a heater. Making an entrance and moving the cold frame to sit in front like a glass porch so to speak.

Then the big question do I let him get on with it or do I try to hibernate the little fella.
Regards Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.  :)

Hibernation has always been one of the most talked about subjects with tortoises along with diet, if done right and your tortoises is healthy then I think they should hibernate but with you only having him a short period of time it would also be fine to over winter him this year, over wintering can be a challenge but can be achieved with plenty of heat and light and it's fine that their food intake is less through winter, have a think and ask as many questions as you want were here to help, there's also a hibernation section you might find helpful.  :)

#8 Terrythetortoise

Terrythetortoise

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Karen.

Still making a plan for this
Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users