3 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography , dogs , crafts , tortoises, floristry

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

:unsure2:  I am still so confused even after trawling through dozens of posts. I am planning to build buttercup (my Seven year old Hermann)  an insulated  hide to attach to her outdoor pen so that i dont need to keep bringing her in at night from april to september. it will be approx 60cm x 60 cm x 25 cm . ......

ok ..now for the questions...

1) should i put a  heater in to come on if temperatures drop too low and if so whats the best type for the size of my hide.? :wacko2:

2) if its a dull cool day with no sun will she even get out of bed !? :blush:

3) Do i need to provide a uv lamp or basking light and where abouts would this be placed.? :thinking:

:thanks:

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hello Wendy, from now til September we could hope the sun does its job and therefore there is no need for uv lamps... I have a heater that comes on if the temp is below 10degrees in a morning to kick start movement. Once torts are acclimatised to lower temps they can usually get moving without help from artificial heat. my 70 yr old garden torts are out at 6am.... And going strong at 7pm... Where as ' lived in a viv Georgia', is very slow to go outside x x x

#3 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Stella. Good advise. Ive actually left Buttercup out tonight in her upturned plant pot as its such a lovely evening.

:yay:

#4 Wendy&Buttercup

Wendy&Buttercup

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi thanks for taking the time to give me your advice. I think i would like a little heat in her hide to help her get moving in a morning. i think i will take stellas advise and not use a uv light as will bring her in after the summer for her wind down. I would like a thermostatically controlled heater but worry it may get too hot for the size of hide we are building.  2ft x 2ft  . what  about placing it outside the hide in my covered area ? would that be as effective or would she get too cold in her insulated hide.? :unsure2:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users