- - - - -

Horsefields

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anibow_*

Guest_Anibow_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

I have two four year old horsefields, one of the tortoise shell seems to look and feel slightly dry and brittle. They have cuttle fish and calcium powder on their food, they have the correct lighting when they are indoors and out in a large pen most days (weather permitting).Can you please give any advice I was wondering if I should use some form of oil/mostioriser on their shells. Hope someone can help.

#2 Guest_lou lou_*

Guest_lou lou_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Please do not put any type of oil/moisturiser on your torts shell...hopefully some1 will be on shortly to advise you.

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

Annibow,
the so called breeder i bought 'h' from told me to put olive oil on but i went to a pre hibernation to the three county tortoise society and they said definatley NO to putting oils on the shell just to use the lighting and nutrabol and calcium cuttlefish scraped over feed every alternate day,cuttlefish can also be placed in whole in its home and warm baths regular and to make sure you dry him off well after his bath.I put oil on at the very beginning thinking it was right but also not ideal when handling very slippy!
Jay and 'h':-)

#4 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

Hi Andrea,
Agree with Jay, definitely NO to the oils, oil heats up to a high temp and can be harmful if your tort sits under the heat lamp for a long time:-( I would just give warm baths and sprinkle a little lukewarm water over their shells, mine seem to like this ,:-)
make sure you dry them off well though before putting them back,

Regards Maz:) xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users