• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christy-Lauren

Christy-Lauren

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

I saw on the tortoise shop a deluxe tortoise kit with lid (i have cats) and there was a large one too. What age could a tortoise live up to in the 30"x18"x6"?? I would usually have a lid off if im in the room and I will be getting hides and stuff so would this be ok? The large one is 4ftx2ftx6" but i think i should start with the other one.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hello,

I order for us to help you and not make assumptions based on the information you provided, 

• Please could you attached a link of the tortoise table you are asking the question about?
  • How big / how old is/are your tortoise(s)?
  • Do you have pictures of the tortoise(s)?
  • Do you know the specie?

Thank you very much

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

I saw on the tortoise shop a deluxe tortoise kit with lid (i have cats) and there was a large one too. What age could a tortoise live up to in the 30"x18"x6"?? I would usually have a lid off if im in the room and I will be getting hides and stuff so would this be ok? The large one is 4ftx2ftx6" but i think i should start with the other one.

Even tiny babies need as much space as possible to explore. I would say 18 inches wide is far too small for any enclosure. You don't need a hide area as the babies will naturally dig down into the substrate to thermoregulate overnight. This is actually important for good growth to avoid uneven shell growth. Hopefully your breeder will give you good care sheets when you buy. The site you mention is rather expensive and to be honest an indoor rabbit cage is a much better option for new babies in my humble opinion :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users