Outdoor Enclosure Advice For A Beginner

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Well what I provide I them is far from perfection and I am a rather newbie, I had my babies since August 2016. The cococoir what use the first year I had them and indoors only, I find that is it good or keeping humidity and they anndig into it. The second year in the indoor enclosure (my indoor enclosure is mad of 4 boxes put together)) I soil in two boxes and a mix for soil + cococoir in two other boxes.

Outdoors in the cold frame has no dark roof but under the cork bark is it is dark, as also they can sleep under small plants and large stones et bark outside he cold frame.

I am aiming for smooth growth and happy healthy tortoises by providing the best husbandry I can, but Madame Nature do it the best in the wild.

Here are one pics of the babies I are very much for:

http://www.hermann-t...9747#entry68047

Sabina

#22 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

Sabina, yes, they look like healthy babies. But I suggest to mix the cococoir more with just normal soil from the garden and make it smooth. This way it´s easier for them to go. I´m afraid they eat something of the cococoir with the weeds without wanting to. Do you know that in nature these babies hide almost all day long? They come out in the morning, still hidden by long old and dry grass or other plants, catch some sunshine, look for food, mostly in a small area around their hideout, find little leaves and dead insects and then hide again more or less completely until afternoon. So I recommend to plant more plants in the enclosure, grass-sods for example. They love to creep under them.

I really admire your garden-enclosure. Never seen such a good shelter from above!

But I would make it smaller for the very tiny animals. 1 x 1 m² plus the cold frame would be enough for next summer. I´m afraid you wouldn´t find them otherwise. They really don´t need much space when they are that young.

I wish you much joy with the two!

Greets

Germanlady

#23 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

Thank you, I have to say that I was really inspired by German tortoise keepers when I built the outdoor enclosure, I made my research on German tortoise websites/forums, so a big credit to our German neighbours :)) You guys are well known to build good things!

Schuss!
Sabina

#24 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:24 PM

Sabina, yes, they look like healthy babies. But I suggest to mix the cococoir more with just normal soil from the garden and make it smooth. This way it´s easier for them to go. I´m afraid they eat something of the cococoir with the weeds without wanting to. Do you know that in nature these babies hide almost all day long? They come out in the morning, still hidden by long old and dry grass or other plants, catch some sunshine, look for food, mostly in a small area around their hideout, find little leaves and dead insects and then hide again more or less completely until afternoon. So I recommend to plant more plants in the enclosure, grass-sods for example. They love to creep under them.
I really admire your garden-enclosure. Never seen such a good shelter from above!
But I would make it smaller for the very tiny animals. 1 x 1 m² plus the cold frame would be enough for next summer. I´m afraid you wouldn´t find them otherwise. They really don´t need much space when they are that young.
I wish you much joy with the two!

Greets
Germanlady

I agree that in the wild baby tortoises hide away for most of the day, but what we found in the Mediterranean regions was that they were very wet in the mornings after coming from their very humid hides overnight. Some babies had dug under stones, some under dew covered plants and some had dug right under the substrate, again usually under plants.

#25 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Sabina for your compliment to the German tortoise forums. So, you speak German?

Thanks wizzasmum for letting me know about your experiences about the babies and how they hide and sleep in the Mediterranean regions. Where have you been so far?

Greets

Germanlady

#26 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:51 PM

I am actually French, and live in the UK. When i did my research I used Google translate and by doing so i learnt how to say in German tortoise, cold frame, heat lamps, hibernation etc....So it was a very beneficial for me and i still keep looking on Geman websites and also French ones of course.

I have a question: why babies in captivity (and even adult tortoises) in Northern Europe do not behave like the ones on the wild. They are much more out, not really hiding. Is it because of the weather (less heat/sun so they are out a lot more)?

Thanks

#27 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Sabina for your compliment to the German tortoise forums. So, you speak German?

Thanks wizzasmum for letting me know about your experiences about the babies and how they hide and sleep in the Mediterranean regions. Where have you been so far?

Greets
Germanlady

Well, mainly Turkey, where of course we saw the Graeca Ibera, but also hermanni in Spain, noting the behaviours, habitats etc were more or less identical. The most fascinating observations though, were in the Galápagos Islands. Being based on Santa Cruz meant daily trips to the Darwin Centre, other than time spent visiting other islands to compare wild behaviour with captive.

#28 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

I have a question: why babies in captivity (and even adult tortoises) in Northern Europe do not behave like the ones on the wild. They are much more out, not really hiding. Is it because of the weather (less heat/sun so they are out a lot more)?

Thanks

I cannot compare their behaviour in captivity with behaviour in nature, because when I were in their natural invironment, I went around, saw several tortoises, watched them some time and went on. To compare I should have stayed there all day long watching them and several days in different seasons.

But - MY tortoises are very often hidden. My neighbour sometimes is standing at my enclosures and looking and looking and seeing no tortoises. It´s mainly in summer during the middle of the day or on rainy and cold days of course. And, what is interesting, they hide when it is really fine weather in autumn, when the sun shines warm and we humans think it would be fine for them to warm in the sunshine.

Well, they are wild animals, they do what they want, if they have the chance to. Perhaps they want to cool down in autumn in preparation for the hibernation. This is also my statement, when I see them digging themselves in really wet ground unter plants or stones, sometimes in mud after rain.

I´ve never been to the Galapagos Islands, but it must be extraordinary. It it were not such a long flight.................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users