• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Attached File  IMAG2015.jpg   46.31KB   3 downloadsRescued a tortoise that was being seriously neglected. As a baby was fed on fruit and veg and pellets and kept on grass. Then eventually they lost interest. It was left to fend for itself in a green house over winter and forgotten about.I found it banging on the glass in spring on a really hot day with no water. Gave her water and she guzzled it. So agreed to rehome her and started learning how to look after her. OMG never had a clue how complicated it is. Built a pretty big table and kept her there over a winter then out in the garden for a summer then hibernated in the fridge this winter which was successful. I think she's about 5. Happy with correct diet she has a special corner of the garden with loads of suitable weeds and plants. She has a house that covers a pit of soft top soil. She's been gaining weight steadily and is 680g. She's been out since May and was happy chugging round her enclosure but now she's buried herself almost completely for the last 4 days. Is this normal in summer?

I'm a bit demoralised and wondering if there is a better home for her with other tortoises for company and more experienced keepers. I didn't know what I was getting into. There are no papers for her. 

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Well done for taking her on. She really needs to be outside 24/7 at that size, but with a covered area with additional heat. What species is she? If you don't know, pics will help. Putting her with other tortoises may well upset the apple cart. If put with a male it could be a disaster and if put with other species it could well be worse :( The key is getting temperature and diet correct. There are no tortoises that can live in the UK without the addition of heat, otherwise we would have a natural tortoise population ;) you can be lucky for weeks on end but a bit of bad weather and/or a drop in temps will result in what you are seeing now. Hope this helps, looking forward to seeing pics :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:35 AM

Hi Missy, welcome to the forum. :)

To be truthful I think you've done a great job with her up to now :) and maybe with a few little changes to your set up you'll have a very happy tortoise, can you add heat to your outside enclosure as this will help a lot to keeping her outside longer with some of this poor weather we've had, my tortoises have been the same some days their full of life other days when the weather is poor they don't even want to get up, you could maybe post a picture of your outside enclosure and we can help a bit more, but if you do feel that you would like to rehome her then maybe Sue ( wizzasmum ) could help you with this but as she has already stated it needs to be the right home,  what ever you decide were here to help. :)

#4 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Thanks. Can you see the pic in the top post?I will try to add more tonight. She is outside 24/7 at the mo and was in a table with lights between fridge and outside temps getting warm enough to put her out. We don't have any power outside unfortunately. Think she is a hermans.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Yes can see the pic, but could do with something more clear and one from underneath too, showing tail area if possible for full ID. If you don't have electrics, then a greenhouse or cold frame with access to outdoors is essential. She might come out and mooch around for a while, but unless she can get her core temp up to 30 degrees she won't be able to digest her food properly, which will result in deficiencies. She does look like a hermanni, but clearer pics will show better. Until you can get an outdoor socket fixed it would be better to bring her indoors during periods with no sun, as it's the sun that warms them, not the ambient temps. It's surprising how warm they get on a sunny day, even in cool weather :)

#6 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

Maybe some kind of glass shelter outside may help, fish tank, or just piece of glass on bricks, I'm finding molly chooses to sit under glass when ever we get even mild sun and temp gets higher than you'd expect under there.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

That's good from a heat aspect but I know my adults would break glass if they could reach it, so be sure it's enclosed in a frame and out of reach. It does work though for short spells of bad weather. Glass is superior to perplex as it lets more light in, but Perspex is much safer.

#8 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

I know yours are big and strong, Sue, but even molly at under a kilo can push a brick so have make sure everything is safe and secure. I've had a few scares where she's pushed through really heavy stuff. My glass is a toughened shower screen wedged securely above her reach. Doesn't let uv through but is open at one end so she's in and out. I've seen plant terrariums used aswell. But as Sue said be careful they can and will trash them if they push through, they're stronger than they look.

#9 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Sorry been away this weekend. I could certainly add a cold frame for her. I will do some photos when I get time but have had trouble uploading all the ones I have already even though file size is bellow 16 and tried the alterantive uploader it keeps coming up with error.

#10 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Still can't get new photos to upload to get a proper id. But I have done a revamp on her enclosure she has a little hut on top of a pit of soft top soil with a little sand mixed in and over the top of that is a garden cloche with a door at the other end from her hut. this all sits on a bed of soil,sand then slate chips and the temp inside gets to 30 often or hotter when very sunny. There is a slope to climb up from the exit of the cloche and the out door area is a mix of weeds, plants, rocks and more slate chippings or soil. There is a small grass area with weeds in it too but to get there it's another climb downhill and over some rocks. There is a shallow water tray but I've never seen her use it. She's been out and about on and off but seems to spend most time in her hut and completely buried bellow the surface. Recently she hadn't emerged for ages so I lifted the cloche and hut up and started moving the soil away. I went down 6 inches and found nothing! I then started digging sideways and she was a good 10 inches to the side and 5 inches bellow and looked like she'd been there ages. Is this normal?! It's been good weather this month. Warm and dry on the south coast.

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:12 AM

Still can't get new photos to upload to get a proper id. But I have done a revamp on her enclosure she has a little hut on top of a pit of soft top soil with a little sand mixed in and over the top of that is a garden cloche with a door at the other end from her hut. this all sits on a bed of soil,sand then slate chips and the temp inside gets to 30 often or hotter when very sunny. There is a slope to climb up from the exit of the cloche and the out door area is a mix of weeds, plants, rocks and more slate chippings or soil. There is a small grass area with weeds in it too but to get there it's another climb downhill and over some rocks. There is a shallow water tray but I've never seen her use it. She's been out and about on and off but seems to spend most time in her hut and completely buried bellow the surface. Recently she hadn't emerged for ages so I lifted the cloche and hut up and started moving the soil away. I went down 6 inches and found nothing! I then started digging sideways and she was a good 10 inches to the side and 5 inches bellow and looked like she'd been there ages. Is this normal?! It's been good weather this month. Warm and dry on the south coast.

Hi Missy,

Tortoises can dig away when it's too hot as well as too cold, up north it's got really quite cool again with the weather changing so much they don't know if their coming or going some days, and it's also getting later in the year.

If you would like to email me the pictures i'll see if I can add them to the post for you. :)  mildredsmam@hotmail.co.uk

#12 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

I have Gmailed you thanks. Helen.

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

Here's the picture. :)

Attached Files

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

I have Gmailed you thanks. Helen.

Need one of underneath for full ID please Helen ;)

#15 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

I did send 3 in separate emails

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Oh sorry, can only see one. Feel free to resend to wizzasmum@aol.com

#17 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

Did you get them?

#18 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

Yes and I replied. Your tortoise is a female Testudo hermanni boettgeri or eastern subspecies hermanni :) There is quite a bit of growth irregularity but hopefully now she will have a better life. She's nicely domed, so there should be no big issues going on.

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:50 AM

I did send 3 in separate emails

I only received the one Helen, but your sorted now any way as Sue has Id her for you.

She's a lovely tortoise. :)

#20 Missy

Missy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

Thanks. She was out nibbling weeds yesterday and basking in her coldframe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users