• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pippin

Pippin

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

We took Pippin to the vets as she had stopped eating and pooing and it turned out she was blocked as for some reason she'd been eating the soil/sand substrate in her enclosure. The vet has left us with the advice to keep bathing her and given us some jelly to push this bit that is sticking out back in. However, we'd really like some advice as to what this is! I push it back in with the jelly and cotton bud as recommend, but Pippin sometimes pushes it straight back out again! She seems to be able to push it out and back in at will and it even seems sometimes when she pushes it back out, it's the rounded end of a longer, thinner muscle. Is this part of the anatomy of a tortoise or a prolapse? We'd be greatful if anyone could shed some light or offer us some advice. Pippin is a Hermann Tortoise about 9 years old.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

[jzy35l.jpg
9ghwz6.jpg

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hi, really sorry for not replying sooner. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications. Sometimes tortoises, particularly older ones or those that are calcium deficient do push their 'bits' in and out. You say she does it at will, so it's unlikely to be a prolapse, just a normal part of the anatomy. I'm guessing your vet has x-rayed, to determine your tortoise is impacted. If so, he should be doing a little more than just suggesting bathing. Is he an exotic vet or just one who sees the occasional tortoise? Has your tortoise had a change in substrate to make her start eating it, or has she been outdoors for the summer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users