24 replies to this topic

#1 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to extend Tanks enclosure and time outside by connecting the greenhouse that is next to his enclosure,

my question is what have others done for the heating/light requirements?

I think someone posted before about using some Pig lights?

And I seem to remember someone else posted about some glass/Perspex that let's UV light through?

I've tried the search function here but had no luck so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kev. 

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hi Kev,

Sorry for the late reply we've had quite a few problems with the forum that are hopefully getting sorted now, i use a pig lamp holder in my shed this is the one i bought and it's worked well so far

https://www.burnhill...19/turnock-m161you can also buy bulbs I believe or you can use par38 bulbs for heat, i'm sure Sue will be a long soon who uses a greenhouse and can offer more advice. x  :)

#3 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Karen, just what I was looking for.

Kev.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

Thanks Karen, just what I was looking for.

Kev.

Did you manage to get one of these Kev. x  :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

I use pig lamps in my greenhouse. You can get them from farm suppliers. They come on chains, so easy to get the height right for the heat.

#6 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Did you manage to get one of these Kev. x  :)

Hi Karen, I'm not buying it yet as I plan to do the work in the winter when Tank is hibernating, just getting all the info and links I need together ready for when I do.

#7 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

I understand that I need to replace the glass with something that will let UV through,this is what was recommended to me on one of the better tortoise Facebook pages

https://www.plastics...jSbQFts7eK969u4

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#8 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

I am thinking of making new housing for some young tort's and this looks like it might do the job. Would also be interested if anyone has used this material

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

This one is good too. This is the one that is on the cold frame of my torts. 16mm double-skin sheet, so very good for insulation. 92% UV transmissible.

The name of it is Alltop 16mm.

Specs attached

Picture attached

Website

https://www.plexigla...chparam=alltop

Video on greenhouse made with 16mm Alltop plexiglas (which is the greenhouse of my dreams for the torts in UK!)

https://www.youtube....4&v=flkJR8LFbII

I guess to build the frame, adequate aluminium profiles will be the ones to use.

Sabina

Attached Files

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:03 AM

I understand that I need to replace the glass with something that will let UV through,this is what was recommended to me on one of the better tortoise Facebook pages

https://www.plastics...jSbQFts7eK969u4

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, you only need to replace the glass if you want too, most don't as they get the uv from outside, but if you wanted too I've read some good things about this one it seems to get recommended a lot. x  :)

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:06 AM

I am thinking of making new housing for some young tort's and this looks like it might do the job. Would also be interested if anyone has used this material

Hi also for smaller set ups you can buy Lumisol, this is what it says. x 

Lumisol is a clear material which has been developed to allow the penetration of UVB rays. It has the appearance and texture of thick polythene and is used in commercial polytunnels. It is especially valuable in the UK climate to keep tortoises healthy and comfortable and can substantially reduce the need for artificial heat sources. It is an inexpensive way to make portable ‘hot boxes’ or cold frames.
Seeds sown under Lumisol for tortoise food will germinated more quickly than seeds sown outside.
Lumisol has been independently tested for UVB transmission.     you can buy it here. x  

https://l.facebook.c...DPbnWji98cpKw9W 

#12 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

This one is good too. This is the one that is on the cold frame of my torts. 16mm double-skin sheet, so very good for insulation. 92% UV transmissible.

The name of it is Alltop 16mm.

Specs attached

Picture attached

Website

https://www.plexigla...chparam=alltop

Video on greenhouse made with 16mm Alltop plexiglas (which is the greenhouse of my dreams for the torts in UK!)

https://www.youtube....4&v=flkJR8LFbII

I guess to build the frame, adequate aluminium profiles will be the ones to use.

Sabina

babettebeau, that looks a great product but at 16mm thick I don't think I could use it in the frame of my greenhouse.  

#13 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

Hi, you only need to replace the glass if you want too, most don't as they get the uv from outside, but if you wanted too I've read some good things about this one it seems to get recommended a lot. x  :)

I won't be repacing all of it as only one side and the front gets the sun as it travels round, thanks for the link I'll take a look :)

#14 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

It will need to be fitted in a frame with aluminium profiles that can accomadate the thickness and rubber joints, like in the video.

If you know people who have some knowledge/skills on alumimium windows, they might be able to use their skills to build one for you.

Sabina

#15 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

Just ordered some Lumisol. Will let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:14 AM

Just ordered some Lumisol. Will let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

Great, yes please let us know what you think to it, we're thinking of extending my shed this year and might use some of this, I've heard really good reports from it. x  :)

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:17 AM

This amazing enclosure is a friend of mines he lives in Scotland and has used the Lumisol as you can see and said it works brilliant. x  :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  andy.jpg   83.07KB   1 downloads

#18 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

I’ve got some. It’s easy to work with but not clear, like I thought it would be. It’s good for working with frameworks etc.

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:41 AM

I’ve got some. It’s easy to work with but not clear, like I thought it would be. It’s good for working with frameworks etc.

Yes I thought it would have been clear Sue, have you made a frame with it then. x 

#20 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

It will need to be fitted in a frame with aluminium profiles that can accomadate the thickness and rubber joints, like in the video.
If you know people who have some knowledge/skills on alumimium windows, they might be able to use their skills to build one for you.

Sabina

I think if I did that I'd start to push the project way beyond my budget, my plan is to use something that will directly replace the glass using the same fittings as are there already

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users