Name change Required

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coffeeuk_*

Guest_coffeeuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi

Been watching the forum for several years since I got my Hermanns Harry.

I Though it was about time I said hello and posted some Pics

Hes CB01 Kept in a tortoise table / Garden, and fed on Herbiseed Tlady Mix Grown in my dads greenhouse, my dad keeps moaning that hes been killing weeds for years and now I have him growing them :-)

He was woken up a week ago ( fridge Method ) and is feeding well

I only have one concern, I'm begining to think that he could with a name change (harriett maybe) What do you guys think ?

Mick

#2 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

welcome to the forum, wellllll, the 1st thing i am going to say is!!! wowwwww he's gorgeous, his shell is spot on, well done, take care.

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)

#3 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-03-06 AT 06:20 PM (GMT)]Wow what a gorgeous tortoise he has a really smooth shell. Well done!

1.0.2 Hermanns

#4 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

Welcome ,, youve got a cracking girl!!!!!

Start thinking of new name.

Andy

#5 Guest_coffeeuk_*

Guest_coffeeuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the comments, its all thanks to the advise here.

Andy

Thats what I was worried about, I'm so used to calling him/her harry its going to be a hard change ;)

#6 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:45 PM

A really beautiful tort! I don't think it's too hard to change from Harry to Harriet. My tort is called Boris, and I've been thinking lately that he is looking more like a she every day, but there's not an easy female equivalent of Boris (Borisina? Betty? Borisette?)

Nina

#7 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:55 PM

Yes you could change her name to Harriet and still call her Harry for short

1.0.2 Hermanns

#8 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

What a lovely tortoise keep up the good work.

#9 Guest_coffeeuk_*

Guest_coffeeuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:19 PM

Harriett it is then !

Cheers Guys

BTW Blondesarah I bought some of your Limestone flour off ebay yesterday. (ukstakes)

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hiya i posted a few off today hopefully that would have been one of yours, so you should get it tomorrow or saturday. Thank you.

#11 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi Ya welcome to the forum,
I would like to say You have got a lovely tortoise there, and she has a lovely smooth shell. Harriet is a great name!
Thankyou for sharing those lovely pics. ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#12 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:23 PM

What a beautiful pattern on your tortoises shell. She looks in lovely condition. Alex.:7

#13 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

It could well be the photo but is that a pinkish tinge to areas of the plastron. If so keep an eye on it that it does not spread. If the torts goes off it's food at all then suspect an infection but it could just be related to new growth.
Sue

#14 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

Yes I was going to question the shell colour, I know we all use different cameras/lights etc. and I take most of my photos when it is bath/drinking time, can I just ask you, have you applied anything to your tortoises shell?...T.T.

#15 Guest_coffeeuk_*

Guest_coffeeuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-03-06 AT 00:28 AM (GMT)]The pinkish tinge is actually tranparent (not totally but you know what I mean), she had been in the bath 5 minutes before which makes them stand out more. But im pretty sure its just new shell growth.

Jeez its easy to get paroniod here isn't it, you have me worried now

EDIT:

I see what you mean now the one of her underside, theres nothing there with the naked eye so must be something to do with the camera.

And no I have never applied anything to the shell, wouldn't dream of it.

#16 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:20 AM

Dont worry i do a bit of photography at college in my spare time and its the camera. If you look at the top picture you can see the same pink tinge on the top of the shell. Its a common occurance from a camera. You have nothing to worry about, it looks beautiful to me. Alex.;-)

#17 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Well that's a relief. It's worth knowing though that many torts go undetected for septicaemia until it is too late. This shows as a pinkish tinge to the plastron which gets angrier looking if not treated. New growth lines also have a pinkish tinge sometimes but this is nothing, just blood vessels showing close to the surface on this sensitive new area.
Sue

#18 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

You`ve got a really nice tortoise!!!!

#19 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hi Sue, just out of interest how do the tortoise get the septicaemia is it through shell damage, or from something internal.

Viv

#20 Guest_Val_*

Guest_Val_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Hi Veebee.

Septicaemia is not uncommon, 2 common bacteria are involved. It is often as you mention a result of ulceration shell disease or abscess reaching the bloodstream. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and erythematous flush to the plastron and carapace, coffeeuk’s tort whilst it always advisable to be vigilant Harriet appears from the photographs what we all would like in a Tort.
I in my ignorance –early years – did tend to over feed our one and only but fortunately having been on this site for a number of years I learnt my error and not only the correct feeding but the best husbandry. A lot of that with SueB’s past advise!
PS. Harriet is a lovely Tort, shame mines a girl too!

Val.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users