Predators

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi

What would you say is the biggest threat to torts living outside.??

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

anything bigger than them that has teeth and eats meat.

#3 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

Good reply.

el:7

#4 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

foxes / dogs probably

my kittens dont really hurt the torts they just bounce on them lol

#5 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

there was a case on shelled warriors of a tort seen to be being dragged off by a squirrel, when rescued and turned over the tort had a big hole eaten out of its shell and died from blood loss and shock I actually argued with this saying that I thought a rat had probably started the attack and the squirrel came upon the injured tort either way why the tort just lay there and let something eat it I don,t know but the fact is the tort was gnawed through by something and died, it was an interesting posting and brought up the possibility of bird attack such as a hawk etc although a baby tort could probably be killed by a magpie, crow etc so I suppose anything could be considered a threat to a youngster but an adult would need something fairly strong to do serious damage, a itten although not strong enough to kill could scratch and cause an infection so even that could be called a threat plus the stress that being pounced on even in play the tort must think its being attacked.

#6 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

I have heard a few stories recently about bird attacks on hatchlings and in a couple of cases the tort being killed :(

The possibility of this happening can be reduced by having a good mesh cover over any outside enclosure.

#7 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

i think its because my tortoises are sub adults they arnt really affected my the kittens they just go inside their shell and as soon as the kitten has run off they just plod off

#8 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

Our cat isnt interested in our torts either, although she has never been near our juvies, it might be different as they are so much smaller?
I also think it would probably depend on the cat.

#9 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Great thanks

Good to here peoples views on this. So i guess the only defence a tort has is to bite and pull its head and legs in as far as possible. Maybe dig frantically too. Who knows.!!!

el:o

#10 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Ellie, I have personally never heard of a tortoise biting as a defence, only retracting into its shell!
I might be wrong though :(

#11 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

My tort took a nip at me once but not sure if it was a mistake for food. I wouldnt like to chance it as a test.:(

el

#12 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

My Archie has bitten me a couple of times when I have been hand feeding her a leaf and she had some of my finger by mistake lol
it hurts doesnt it :(

#13 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

foxes / dogs probably

my kittens dont really hurt the torts they just bounce on them lol

my dogs love pip they lick him till hes clean

georgia
xxxxxxx

#14 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-08-07 AT 09:53 PM (GMT)]Predators to tort???!!!!!

Mmmmmmmm, I don't think its the torts we need to worry about.. click on this link (kindly supplied by Tortgirl on another forum on this site ;-) ) and we shall then talk about who's the threat to who...:(

**** OOPS! I just clicked on this link & it says no longer available BUT if you enter tortoise in the serch bar it brings it up - it's titled 'Killer Tortoise' (theres some other good ones on there as well! ****

#15 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:25 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-08-07 AT 02:27 AM (GMT)]lol heres the link

its exactly the same as the link you pasted by the looks of it but for some reason this one works.

Id like to see any predators take on that tort :7

#16 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

That has got to be the toughest tort in the world.

I thought it would of just defended itself but no it is a bully.!!!

Grat link.!

el:-)

#17 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

when i was reserching about torts before i got one i came across that vid, had me in stitches lol

#18 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

i live in the country, if your torts are small beware of buzzards and eagles with big pick-up claws, also on ebay i found this really nice "beware of the tortoise"sign,i need to get it.

georgia
xxxxxxx

#19 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

georgia don,t advertise that you keep a tortoise, by all means put you sign in the enclosure but not on the gate, so many are stolen and putting a sign like that is an open invitation to a thief, just a thought.

#20 Guest_GeorgieGal_*

Guest_GeorgieGal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

ok, what i was going to do was buy a rabbit hutch, that would go in my back garden,and put it on the door of the rabbit hutch.

georgia
xxxxxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users