- - - - -

housing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

Hi people, I am currently keeping my 5 year old tortoise in a vivarium but wanted to buy a bigger one as he is getting a bit big now. Only thing is...I hear vivariums arn't the best accomodation for them and having an open top one worries me because I have 3 cats. They arn't bothered at the moment but don't want to come home and find them playing with him!! Please can someone advise??

Thanks

JJ :-)

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hello Jackie
Yes you have heard right. Vivariums are not suitable for tortoises, so until you get sorted. open it up as much as possible, open the lid or front doors and put some wood half way up to prevent him fallong out,
I have never heard of a cat harming a tortoise, I think it would get bored with it quickly, even if they showed an interest, the tort would just retreat into it's shell.
Has he been outside all summer??? I hope so, and your just bringing him indoors for the cold months.

If you are really concerned about the tortoise and the cats why don't you change him over at the weekend when your home to see if they are ok, or put the tortoise in a room that you can close off while your at work.
Hope this helps you
Arnie

#3 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

I have had the viv open as much as I possibly can. I am prob just being an overprotective mother, worrying about the moggys. I regret to inform you that I don't have an outdoor enclosure. I have only had my baby Sasha for 1 year and am still learning but I have been sitting outside with him as much as possible. While he is in hibernation this year I am going to get a new home for him and try to sort out my garden for him as it is a total mess at the moment. I have lost him outside twice already!! You turn your back for 10 secs and he's gone. He's a crafty little man! Any info on where to buy a more suitable home for him (for indoors) would be much appreciated. Do you have a tortoise/tortoises??

JJ

#4 Guest_J London_*

Guest_J London_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi JJ
I have had cats & tortoises with out a single problem for nearly 20 years. No sorry had a problem in the 80s when one of my younger cats kept nicking some of there food, this stopped after a few weeks.
In fact my current cat is scared of them. This is not to say that a cat might want to play with a tortoise, but cats normanly go for fast furry small things. Try introducing them to each other I have tryed
with mine the tortoises are fine they strool up to the cat and he jumps about 3 feet into the air. :D

#5 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Thanks a lot. That makes me feel a little better. I am just worried if I get a more open enclosure rather than the vivarium but i think your right..there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your input. I will have to get organised while he is in hibernation. Not long now! I worry soooo much when he is hibernating...especially as I accidently woke him up last year. I have learnt my lesson though and everything WILL go smoothly this year!!

JJ :7

#6 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

hi jj

i have 10 cats and they dont bother about my torties even when i had them outside during the summer.

#7 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

How do you cope with 10 cats??!! You must be nearly as mad as me! I have only just got my 3rd cat and it seems everywhere you look there are cats. How many tortoises do you have?

JJ :7

#8 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

i sometimes think i am mad :+ lol
i have 2 torties charlie and max

#9 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

You have a cat that eats greens? Yikes!

#10 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

You have a cat that eats greens? Yikes!

who does ????

#11 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

What has happened to this conversation??? who said that cats eat greens??:+

#12 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:29 PM

not me ...lol

:+

#13 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

Wierd...but one of my cats will actually eat some greens!

gotta go people.

JJ ;-)

#14 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

byeee jj

nice talking to you xx

#15 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:20 PM

I have 5 cats and altho they like to watch them, they soon get bored as they dont run fast enough, and have never shown any aggression or hunting interest in them. If they see a mouse, thats another story altogether :-) Large torts quite often intimidate cats !

#16 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:15 PM

5 cats joanne ur nearly as mad as me :7 lol

#17 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

J London said there cat ate the tortoise food

#18 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

LOL Emma, must be with 4 torts, 2 dogs, 1 leopard gecko and 3 kids :-)
I also camped out overnight on Wednesday for Newcastle v Sunderland tickets, have definately lost my sanity
My friends 3 cats will eat absolutely anything, mine are more fussy.....one has a fetish for chesse and onion crisps and has to be chucked outside if anyone is eating them or risk wrestling with the cat for them lol.

#19 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

lol joanne
i have 10 cats 2 dogs a budgie 2 torties and some fish oh and not forget a hubby!!! omg how do i cope :7

#20 Guest_J London_*

Guest_J London_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

J London said there cat ate the tortoise food

Yes this cat has passed on some time ago he had some form of brain damage and had fits every now & than the poor thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users