• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi everyone i am getting a hermanns tortoise next week from a local shop, they are two years old and i basically need some advice about lighting and heating for the little guy!?

Basically i was thinking about going with a Exo Terra 90x30x30cm terrarium and wondered if the exo terra Solar Glow bulb in the 160W version is a good enough bulb to heat and light the terrarium i have chosen. i was going to use it with the Exo Terra Large Wire Light and Stand. Is this good or not? as i am really confused now as to what to do about lighting and heating etc?

Or would UV/UVB Bulbs be better (and which one 5.0 or 10.0 and one bulb or two?) ???

Also i have chosen ProRep Tortoise Life Substrate and I'm going to mix some top soil in with it too is this okay?

Thanks guys!

Jay :)

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Forget the Exo Terra 90x30x30cm terrarium ...... you'll be far better going for a tortoise table. ;) They provide a far more natural environment for them in order to thermoregulate.

Bulbs are down to personal choice. Some prefer the combi basking/UVB bulbs and others go for the UVB tubes and an ordinary 100w spot bulb as a basking light. As your tortoises are still young and have a lot of growing to do, I'd go for the 10.0 tube.... one would be sufficient.... positioned at the basking end of your tortoise table. You'll need to provide a cool end for them to retreat to which can get to room temperature of about 20oc. :)

#3 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Forget the Exo Terra 90x30x30cm terrarium ...... you'll be far better going for a tortoise table. ;) They provide a far more natural environment for them in order to thermoregulate.

Bulbs are down to personal choice. Some prefer the combi basking/UVB bulbs and others go for the UVB tubes and an ordinary 100w spot bulb as a basking light. As your tortoises are still young and have a lot of growing to do, I'd go for the 10.0 tube.... one would be sufficient.... positioned at the basking end of your tortoise table. You'll need to provide a cool end for them to retreat to which can get to room temperature of about 20oc. :)

Brilliant thank you! If i opt for the UV Tubes what heating light/lamp is ideal (my local petshop etc only really supply exo terra items)?

Thanks again for the fast reply and info!

Regards,

Jay

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

There are lots of tortoise tables for sale on Ebay at reasonable prices. I think carpenters have seen a niche in the market. ;)

I get mu UVB bulbs from Surrey Pet Supplies. They are reasonably prices and deliver within a few days.

https://www.surreype...etail-shop.html Go for a full spectrum tube if you can..... the Arcadia D3'S or T5's are good. Go for one that omits 10% UVB. :)

#5 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Okay thankyou, what are your views on the Mega Ray 100W Mercury Vapour UVB & Heat Lamps? are they better than the eco terra solar glo?

i would prefer the easiest set up possible price doesnt really matter!

Thanks again,

Jay

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Personally I've never used them, but I'm sure others who do will be on shortly to advise and tell you the pros and cons. :)

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Brilliant thank you! If i opt for the UV Tubes what heating light/lamp is ideal (my local petshop etc only really supply exo terra items)?

Thanks again for the fast reply and info!

Regards,

Jay

I'd be wary of a lot of things the pet shop sells you. If they stick to a certain product, they are not really looking at teh whole scene and looking at what is best for the animals they are selling. Did they also tell you that your tortoise is most likely from a hot country, exported at very low prices, where they will possibly mix with other species, before selling to the unsuspecting public. If they are asking more than £100 each I would avoid personally, as they will be making around 300% profit while giving poor advice on it's care :(

#8 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'd be wary of a lot of things the pet shop sells you. If they stick to a certain product, they are not really looking at teh whole scene and looking at what is best for the animals they are selling. Did they also tell you that your tortoise is most likely from a hot country, exported at very low prices, where they will possibly mix with other species, before selling to the unsuspecting public. If they are asking more than £100 each I would avoid personally, as they will be making around 300% profit while giving poor advice on it's care :(

Hi there they come with all the certificates etc and they are micro chipped they want £135 for them (they are an expensive shop anyway always have been) Kind Regards,

Jay

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

That has to be your choice of course - all hermanns come with certificates as it is the law, but not all hermanns are cheap imports with inflated prices, I would make sure you have a good exotics vet on standby. Do you know the country of origin of yours? I would also ask abotu the size/type of microchip first as many are far too large for the tortoise - see a previous very sad post :(
Personally I would not buy a tortoise from a pet shop, you would be far better off looking for a good breeder near to you. You would save money, have a healthier animal and virutally no risk of vets bills in the future ;)

#10 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I brought the 2 in 1 UV/heat bulb and it always flickered, after a month it finally blew and I was unable to get my money back. I now have a separate 10.0 UV light and a heat lamp. If one blows I can just replace that bulb. The 2 in 1 was very experience and I was pretty gutted.

You def have time to look around at what breeders near you are selling. Or contact any sanctuary's near you that have torts for re-homing.

Good luck, you will love the tortoise experience x x

#11 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Okay thanks guys I think il go for the separate set up but not 100% yet, I will find out where they are from and the size of the microchip etc! What are the sizes and what's good or bad etc?

Thanks for the advice,

Jay

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

If they are from Slovenia or Macedonia, there is a higher risk of herpes and cryptosporidium apparently. You will be unlikely to get this in Uk bred tortoises, unless bred from recent imports, even then crypto does not pass the egg barrier. Unless microchips are the new nanochips, then the chances of migration and infection are high. Many breeders (myself included) will not even chip tiny tortoises with the nanochips until older. Recent info has stated that the nano chips are not intended for long term use, so they will probably be useless in tortoises in the future anyway. There is always a high risk from imported tortoises, whatever the pet shops tell you. At the end of the day, they need a sale ;)

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi Jay,
I agree with Sue. Tortoises that are imported usually come with protozoan and other worm loads and frequently have health problems. If you want to avoid this you would be well advised to buy your tortoise from a reputable breeder. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#14 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi all, just found out they are from Syria, is this good or bad?

Kind regards,

Jay

#15 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi again or I can get One from elsewhere which is captive bred in Macedonia which would be best I found out they use the new nano chips too! They are also two years old,

Thanks Jay

#16 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hi all, just found out they are from Syria, is this good or bad?

Kind regards,

Jay

Hi
I think you already suspect the answer to that :( Hermanns tortoises are not even native to Syria, another country jumping on the bandwagon to the gullible British :(
You have to ask, what are they doing there in the first place and how on earth could it be profitable to export a none native species so far for the pet trade. Don't want to be involved in a court case lol, but there are many tortoises coming into the country that are certainly not what they seem. I did speak to the lady 'owning' a Slovenian farm many years ago, who admitted that she used wild tortoises and simply took the eggs that they laid on her land. She later sold out to one of the most well known importers of tortoises to this country, which begs the question, how can they be properly controlled.
Why would anyone want to buy a tortoise imported from it's natural habitat anyway, surely it must be pretty clear that health problems will surface pretty soon. Worms etc can be treated, but herpes and crypto ar eincurable and cause thousands of deaths in tortoises each year :(
Have a look here for some eye openers, it points out how the pet trade get through various loopholes at the expense of the lives of poor baby tortoises http://www.tortoiset...es/imports.html

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi again or I can get One from elsewhere which is captive bred in Macedonia which would be best I found out they use the new nano chips too! They are also two years old,

Thanks Jay

If two years old, they will likely be the older chips. Macedonia often use Germany as a stop off where the tortoises are grown on on artifical feeding regimes. Again, you have the same health risks. Why not look for a breeder near to you - they will give you correct care sheets, help you with any worries after sale and very often deliver to you too at less than the cost of the average petshop/reptile dealer. If you give your approximate location, someone will be able to point you in the right direction ;)

#18 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Okay thank you, what about ones from Macedonia? Is this okay?

#19 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm near Stourbridge, does anyone know where a good breeder is?

Thanks,

Jay

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi again Jay,
Here is a link to the 'Tortoise Protection Groups' recommended list of breeders.
http://www.tortoise-...dersNov2011.pdf
Hopefully you can find one near you.
Best of luck!
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users