Herman........again

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:11 PM

Just an update on my previous post.
My new 3 year old Herman still hasn't eaten or drank anything and has lost 4 grammes in 4 days. His original weight was 123 grammes and is now 119. He is not as lively as he was and spends a lot of time half burried under the wood chippings away from his basking lamp. Help :(

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

what food have you tried him with?

#3 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

Dried tort food, chickweed, carrot, apple, pear, lettuce, watercress, lambs lettuce and grass.

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

well dried tortoise food is a big no no. To try and get him eating try a but of tomato, but dont give him this all the time. Have your tried weeds?

#5 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

Yowza yowza yowza !!!!! well done blondesarah, just gave him a bit of tomato and he ate a small piece, at least its a start. He has also got some dandylion and chickweed but he doesn't seem interested in that. Once again, many thanks and why is dried tort food a no-no?

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-11-05 AT 04:49 PM (GMT)]dried tortoise food is full of protein and can cause a deformed shell. Pet shops sell it alot to make a profit, they wont tell you to feed tortoises on weeds, how will they make money?

Im so happy it worked. Now we know what to feed him try:-
1. chop some weeds up really fine and add them to the tomato and when he eats he will have no choice to eat the weeds as it will be stuck to it.
2.or mash the tomato up and add weeds, so the weeds will smell of tomato.
If he is only eating tomato please put lime stone flour on it, tomato has no vitamins and no calcuim, its just water really. But if you put lime stone flour on it (cover it) it now has calcium.

you will have to reduce the tomato each day or week depends how he is going until he is eating weeds or lettuce.

let me know how he goes on

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:18 PM

Keep bathing him/her.:(

#8 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hya
My tortoise still hasnt had anything to eat or drink barring the two bites of tomato.We have tried him on weeds from the garden,cucumber, pepper, iceberg lettuce, pear and corgette, we are going to try him on romane lettuce and banana, what do you think to banana? He wont respond to hand feeding either, just stubbornly refuses to open his mouth for anything.He has had another bath but that hasn't made him go to the toilet but he did move about a little in the water, he has been a bit more lively though , doing a lot of laps around his home.We are getting a bit concerned about him now, do you think a visit to the vet is in order or should we wait a few more days?:-( x(

#9 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

Allow him to walk around your rooms if thats possible with you keeping an eye on him, see if he responds to another environment, make sure it's a warm room and try feeding him there. Keep with the bathing.:(

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-11-05 AT 07:39 PM (GMT)]Try warming the food up slightly so the smell gets him interested. My friend had this problem a few years back and it was a case of having a tube permanently fitted into the tortoise to feed it or try anything to get it eating so she tried cooked warm small peas, I know it's not ideal but it was really a case of do or die for her tortoise, I'm happy to say the tortoise started eating and it's still alive today, on a much better diet and no peas but it did the trick.:(

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

How long hasnt he ate for now? I have a tortoise that was like that, i was so worried. It was the red foot that was kept in the flat. She would no eat, i tried everything, she would eat a bit of meat and that was it (its ok for red foods to eat meat). I took her to a guy who knows about red and he said she was fat(she was fed on bananas for 4 years). So after that i didnt worry about her and after a few weeks she was eating normally even weeds.

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

Tell you what might work, don't slate me for saying it as I know it's fruit but if he's not eating we have to try something here, it worked for me a year back, Cantaloupe melon, just to get him started, not for long term.:(

#13 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:43 PM

Just spoke to my friend who had the anorexic tortoise, she said also try warm cooked brocolli just to get him started not for long term. Once he starts you can put him onto weeds etc but he has to eat something.:(

#14 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hi ya'll, many thanks for all your suggestions, he still hasn't eaten anything since we got him last Wednesday(appart from 2 small attempts at a tomato). He has been running-ish around the living room surrounded by all manner of delctable foods, he makes a bee line straight for the food then walks all over it:(
I'm just about to cook him a bit of broccoli, once he wakes up from his nap.
Once again, thanks for all your suggestions, I'll let you know just as soon as he eats anything.

#15 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

Try the peas aswell honey it might be the one thing that tempts him.:(

#16 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

dont baby him to much, tomato and pea are like having a big mac to a tortoise. Once he has ate you really need to get him on weeds

#17 Guest_Dexieii_*

Guest_Dexieii_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

When I got my 18 month old Hermann she didn't eat for a week and was losing weight. I think she was just getting used to her new surroundings. I just kept putting fresh food in every morning and trying not to stress about it (hard I know). One day she started eating and it's been fine since then. Good luck.

#18 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

New tortoises take a while to settle in. It can take up to a week or more. Please dont start feeding inappropriate foods. It will cause problems in the long run for your tortoise. If he/she is going in and out of the heat and quite lively, then give them time to settle. All healthy tortoises will eat in time.

#19 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-11-05 AT 04:06 PM (GMT)]As I explained, I don't advise anyone to feed this kinda diet to their tortoises on a regular basis but if your worried and your tortoise isn't eating then just give em a try. A friend of mine and myself have had lots of tortoises that refuse to eat and one that refused to eat anything for 6 months, so when you have that you try anything, happy to say they all pulled through but if they don't you have not much choice but to tube feed. :) I know which I'd prefer to try first:)

#20 Guest_gigibobo_*

Guest_gigibobo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:42 PM

At last he has eaten something :-) . Only a piece of Romaine lettuce about the size of 2 two pence peices. We had to virtually force it down his throat and he refused to eat any more but at least its a start.
We give him a bath each day to try to stimulate his appetite and he is quite active during the day when his lights are on. He is a friendly chap and loves crawling on my shoulder ,( or I love him doing it!!)
So lets hope its the start of his appetite improving. We weighed him again today and he has lost another gramm so that makes 5 g since the 16th November when we got him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users