Help With First Outdoor Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

Hello Angela

Yes it looks very good, well done!

I would advise to put the dish of water away from the edges and away from the corners of the enclosure because often torts pace the edges standing high on their back legs and the last thing you want to happen is the tinnie one to fall on its back in the water dish for obvious reasons.

Will you add the heat lamp in the cold frame as well?

Sabina

#22 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Morning Sabina, thanks for the advice. Yes I will be putting the heat lamp in the cold frame, Ive got an electrician coming next weekend to instal electric outside finally so once the times right ipsy can move outside permanently. Ive also got an automatic cold frame opener so todays job is fixing it on.

Have a good day
Angela

#23 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Hi everyone, the electric has been installed outside today so Im just going to order a bulb. Just wanted to check this one is ok as the one on the link from the other thread Sabina recommended might not be delivered until 9th June. Also should I wait a few weeks before moving her outside permanently? and lastly is the condensation in the cold frame safe with the electric?

Many thanks

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B002YJQWY8

#24 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Just buy a 100watt spot from a hardware store ;)

#25 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

Hi Angela

How is it going with your baby Hermann outdoors? It is making great use of the cold frame and heat lamp? Torts even young figure out very quickly how to make use of the "facilities" we make available for them :))
Please give us some updates.
Thanks!
Sabina

#26 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hi Sabina,
sorry for the late reply Ive been away. My tortoise has been loving being outside but Ive not left her out overnight yet as temps have only been above 10 degrees the last few weeks and because I was going away this week I didnt want to put her out then leave her when I couldnt keep an eye on her.
I got back today and Im all set to move her outside this weekend, I have checked and Sunday is a warm dry day so Im going to keep her outside permanently from then.

I will let you know how she gets on 😊

#27 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hi everyone Ive spent the day making sure the outside area is all ready for ipsy to move outside tomorrow. I thought I would add some new pics, if Im missing anything please let me know or if something doesnt look right. Ive added plants that I have been growing and I have a plant pot for inside the cold frame that she sleeps in at night. (The lamp is inside in her Tortoise table as shes using it today)

Thanks
Angela

Attached Files

#28 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Hi everyone could someone please clarify if my Tortoise needs heat at night now she is outside? She has been sleeping in the outside part digging down under the lavender bush and has got herself up and about in the mornings. Should I be putting her in the cold frame to sleep?
I got in touch with the breeder I got her from to show her pics of her outside house and she said she doesnt leave her babies out overnight and her older ones have a tube heater that comes on at 16 degrees. She said I should provide heat at night and a uv bulb on dull days?

Im worried Im doing something wrong now and i dont know what is right

Many thanks
Angela

#29 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

You’re doing fine, although I’d pop him in the cold frame when he digs in for the night. He’ll soon get the idea, it’s just better if the weather turns nasty and he’s more likely to wake if it’s warmer in there. Having said that, the weather at the moment has been nice enough to stay out of the cold frame and they’re clever little things. It certainly doesn’t have to be 16 degrees overnight, the Med has much cooler overnight temps at either end of the season. I’ve seen torts in Turkey nesting the day after some quite cold nights :) you don’t need uv outdoors, if you have a few days where he stays under cover, just use the D3 supplement. Is your breeder a new breeder? Most have babies outdoors now. Whereabouts are you?

#30 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:40 AM

Thanks so much for the reassurance, I have been following advice I have received and read on here so I was surprised by what she said. She has been breeding for many years and was recommended on one of the websites. Im in Manchester and the weather has been lovely the last few weeks and she seems very happy outside. She didnt really dig down as she is doing outside when she was inside.
I will keep an eye on her and Ill pop her in the cold frame tonight as I know the weather said it would be a bit cooler tonight.

Again thanks for the reassurance 😊 I just want to make sure Im doing everything right.

Angela

#31 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hi wizzasmum Ive been putting ipsy in the cold frame each night after she has dug down but she just goes straight back out to where she was is this ok? Shes been waking up herself in the morning although some days its a bit later than others but by 9am. When it poured down last weekend she took herself into the cold frame and stayed there. Do I need to be worried if she chooses to sleep under the stars?

Thanks
Angela

#32 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Not if you’re ok with her security. The only thing is that there’s a danger if you get foxes or your gardens not secure.

#33 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

Ok so would I be best putting her in a blocking her way out overnight so she doesnt have a choice to go back outside until the morning?

#34 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Once it’s dark she won’t go back out until morning :)

#35 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

Ok thanks Ill try again tonight

#36 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

I find that once they have the habit of sleeping in one spot and it works well for them, they always keep sleeping there season after season.

Mine sleep inside the cold frame, hidden tightly under a damp cork bark. Each evening I also close securely the entrance of the cold frame for piece of mind during the night. It is easy to do and very valuable just in case.

Sabina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users