Substrate Clarification Please.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Birding, Amateur Radio, Football, Oldies Music, Gadgets, Nature&Wildlife Florida!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

So from what I have read sterilised topsoil is the way to go, with some preferring a mix with sand - but only play sand, i.e. not-sharp like builders sand?  Can I just clarify it IS topsoil I need and NOT compost?

Steve

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

I just use topsoil as sand can be irritating to eyes. The sand available in this country is nothing like sand found in tortoises natural habitat so best not used. Topsoil and compost are two different things altogether, compost being make almost entirely from rotted organic substances. Make sure you water the substrate too, to allow good hydration when digging down ;)

Hope this helps ;)

#3 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Birding, Amateur Radio, Football, Oldies Music, Gadgets, Nature&Wildlife Florida!

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thanks - will stick to the topsoil (sterilised) and add to the shopping list.  Now is not the time to experiment with substrates.  Sue, are we talking about a proper watering as opposed to merely spraying the surface?

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes, if you think of the wild terrain, the dampest area will be underneath as wind, sun etc dry out the top. When you dig your garden, you will be turning over damper soil. If you spray the area, you are just wetting the top and the soil underneath will be dry (so will the top very soon after spraying as it will evaporate). When a tortoise digs down into the soil, it retains moisture and so grows with a nice smooth shell, so watering is the way to go. You can allow it to dry on top a little but if it is always damp at the bottom, it's far more natural and so will your tortoise be :D

#5 quacker1964

quacker1964

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks Sue!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users