Please Help!!! My tortoise just delivered some eggs!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi there, My hermann tortoise had been delivered one egg on good friday just gone..and had been delivered another one on thursday just gone! Wow...I really don't understand why she will delivered the egg in one in a weeks long! Is that the normally tortoise laid eggs like this or all in 1 go? I am not sure...!!! Some how she had laid 6 eggs in last year spring! I kept the egg in incubator in temperature between 28-30'c with a small plastic continer with some of the wet nest bought from pet shop..as they said they ran out vercumite so they susgestion me used that til I get some vercumite from B&Q.
I'm very worries of my females tortoise .... I'm sure she still have some egg inside and not yet lay out. I only kept my tortoise in a big rabbit cages with some dried wooden bedding for them. I'm thinking to get some soil for her on tomorrow morning and try give a make a nest to lay all her egg out. Its that gona be too late now? Please give an advise... I am so worrying her now. Shloud I feed her a bit of foods at tis time? I gave a lots of cutterfish bone in her cage for her. She did bite lots too! Please get me back any good susgestion!! I do very apreciated that. Look forward to hear from everyone advise! Thank you!

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

hi cant quite understand your post but think i have the jist of it.your tortoise needs at least 6 to 8 inches of soil to make her nest in.if she dose not have this she mite try and hold on to her eggs and get egg bound.is she trying to dig nests?
the first time my tortoise had eggs she just droped them over 10 days or so they were all infertlie.
if you are worried she still has eggs in her take her for an x ray then you will know for sure

bruce

#3 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hi Bruce, thank you for the replying! Oh..I'm sorry reagard m post not to understand! As I said my tortoise laid one egg on the good friday just gone. And she laid another one on 8th April again. Well...I am not for sure is are the tortoise will lay their egg all in one go or just a 1 in a time of a week or so on? Because, she was laid 6 eggs in last springs but all not hatch coz my friends didn't know how to incubator them. Now I kept them indoor rabbit cage with wooden bedding! Well...I'm sure she still have some more eggs holding with her..! Coz she is so heavy when I lift her up and she tried to dig nests. But I don't have any soil for her at moment...thinking try to get some on tomorrow..is that gona be too late for her to dig the nests? Shloud I keep feeding her a little bit of foods at this time or just give her a warm bath every day?
The two of the egg I keep them incubator with the right temperature and humilidity! The eggs look fine and look very clear and oranger colour.
Please could you tell me how to look the signs of the egg are fertlie or infertlie? Have any picture I can have a look? I am new here and worrying of my tortoise now! Hope this will understand to help me! Thank you so much!

MM

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

like i said you need deep soil in their for her.do you have a male tortoise?do not touch the eggs once they are in the incubator.the eggs should chalk up. if you get a good tourch you can hold it to the egg in a dark room and you should see the ring of life!!!vein runing round the egg if it is fertile.

good luck

bruce

#5 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

hi Bruce, yes the male tortoise still together with her...but they seem ok... only the female was climb around and walking around the digging! I will get soil on tomorrow for her. do I need to seperate the male from now on?
I didn't touch the eggs... only kept in incubator since the egg was laid til now! will try to use tourch to see if have any vein on the 1st eggs. thanks for the advice. I will keep updating how's is go ....! :rolleyes:

#6 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

you can take the male out if he is bothering her.to give her a rest.keep us posted

bruce

#7 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi bruce, I tired use a tiurch to see the eggs ...but it seems can't see any vein inside the eggs...but I saw a around mark inside with the shell. normally how long it takes & can tell the eggs is fertile or infertile? I set my incubator temprerature on 30'c now! I spray with warm water everyday... it moist all the time! is that right? The female still not lay any eggs! I'm worries the eggs is infertile!!!! :(

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

hi i dont spray the eggs.i just put a tub of water in the incubator with them.
my eggs chalk up and can see a vein rite round the egg after two weeks or so.their are a lot more experinced breeders than me on here.i am just starting out so they will be able to help you more than me
if i was you and thought she still had eggs i would take all torts away from her make sure she has plenty soil under her heat lamp.pour hot water on the soil mix it up then use somthing to compress the soil then weight!!.i done this yestarday morning when i came home from work she had layed
hope this helps

bruce

#9 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi Bruce..thanks for advised... oh I didn't spray the eggs... only on the damp towel! I do put a tub of warm water with damp sponge inside as well on beside!
I bought some compost on last sunday and make her a 8inch deep for her under the basking lamp! she look stayed on the compost all the time.. I put some warm water every morning ont the compost & put the lamp on too! but haven't see her lay any eggs this few days...! will keep the male tort away from now...well the male tort not bother bout her at all... he stayed in wooden bedding all the time & the female stayed on compost all the time!!! They seems ok too! Anyway..I'll keep the male seperate now! Hope MiMi can lay all the eggs out soon!
If the eggs incubator with damp towel and wet Moss...is that ok?

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

top soil is better for them as i think compost can be full of chems
as for the moss never herd of that.all you should need is the tub of water and spounge

bruce

#11 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

HI bruce..I wet to pet shop and ask for vemeculite... but they dnt have ...so they sugest me use Moss... which is wet and damp too.... and ask me spray it everyday on the moss... but it look seems ok....too! I'm trying to get the vemeculite as soon as I can in this few days! Oh...if compost not good for them...then I will change to soil on tomorrow then! I see how's is going and will keep on posted here! Thank you Bruce!

#12 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Pet shops are generally not very good for advice on tortoises. Vermiculite is usually available from garden centres as it is a plant substrate ;) I would not use damp moss unless you want fungus covered eggs :(

#13 Guest_mm0625_*

Guest_mm0625_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi Wizzasmum, I can't find any vermiculite in garden centres in my area... been looking few before..they dnt have it...its rediculous! Thats why tried use Moss at moment...til I can find some!!! :(

#14 Wastatile

Wastatile

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

Wow congrats, as i see its pretty old topik, hope u got some more and healthy tortoise, and they grow fast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users