10 replies to this topic

#1 Touga_and_Me

Touga_and_Me

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

Hi guys, 

I got a Hermann just before Christmas.  He is around 7 months old and has been raised solely on pellets. :(  I know this isn't good and want him to eat weeds.  Since we have had him I have given him a mix of dandelions, lambs leaf, succulents, winter pansies and more recently crispy salad mixes from Tesco.  I mixed in the pellets at first and for a couple of days he ate these with a few bits of leaves.  I read that the pellets are a complete no-no and very addictive so I completely stopped them.  Now he won't eat anything at all.  

We have had him (her?) for 23 days and I just don't know what to do.  Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Rhian 

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Hi Rhian. Firstly it’s still early days. Tortoises don’t like change, even for the better. When they move to a new house they will object by not eating, so with this change and the change in diet, he may take some time to come round. He won’t deliberately starve himself, so hold out with the good stuff. Keep him well hydrated by bathing daily and giving him a humid overnight area too. Try not to handle too much or change things further in his environment. Keep an eye on his weight meanwhile, but he should give in eventually.

#3 Touga_and_Me

Touga_and_Me

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I know 3 weeks isnt that long but it just seems like such a long time to be keep taking out wilted leaves day after day 🙁
He is on coco coir which i keep at around 60%.
He doesnt bury himself though. Is there a way to encourage this?
Thank you again
Rhian

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

If he’s not burying himself it could be the ambient temps are too high. A drop in temps overnight is important as he will then dig down to thermoregulate his temps :) Just offer one leaf a day until he decides to eat. You could put the tiniest bit of pellet on there just to see if he is just being stubborn.

#5 Touga_and_Me

Touga_and_Me

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Thank you 😊 You have made me feel so much better ... Ill give it a go.

Rhian

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

With torts everything is soooooooo slow unfortunately. He will be fine. If he does carry on for weeks and hes not from a breeder it would be worth having him checked for parasites, but its most likely just the settling in period :)

#7 Touga_and_Me

Touga_and_Me

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Yeey!!! Day 30 and he is eating 😁😁 ... I got really worried there for a while.
Thank you so much for reassuring me.
RhianAttached File  8D3C9948-5933-48B1-BA3D-678E61ACF07B.jpeg   44.34KB   2 downloads

Ps he is not spider tort!! I cant get my pic to rotate. 🙄

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Brilliant news! Glad it all turned out ok. Lovely pic :)

#9 Micha2011

Micha2011

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hello.

I too have a little Herman reluctant to eat. He arrived three weeks ago and is only munching a few bites here and there. I am new to all this, and have to say I’m feeling a little overwhelmed by all the do’s and don’ts. Me and the dog have been foraging for weeds but i’m Struggling with identification as the plants are still young and not yet flowering (using tortoise table app to help with this).I’m also trying to grow my own food. I just wish the wee fella would eat so I can relax a little. I’ve also found him upside down in his water dish and flipped on his side which I find alarming as he doesn’t seem to be able to correct himself and I can’t baby sit the wee guy all day. Other than this he appears to be healthy and active. He is awake around nine hours of the day, carry’s his weight, bright eyed and looks hydrated.

He lives in an indoor tortoise table around four ft by three ft. I use soil substrate about five cm deep, a combination heat/uvb bulb, a hide, basking temp of 30 with cooler area of 18 -20. I’m bathing him daily just now as he is probably not getting enough fluid from his little nibbles of food.

Does all this seem ok?

Thanks Pete x

#10 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Hello.

I too have a little Herman reluctant to eat. He arrived three weeks ago and is only munching a few bites here and there. I am new to all this, and have to say I’m feeling a little overwhelmed by all the do’s and don’ts. Me and the dog have been foraging for weeds but i’m Struggling with identification as the plants are still young and not yet flowering (using tortoise table app to help with this).I’m also trying to grow my own food. I just wish the wee fella would eat so I can relax a little. I’ve also found him upside down in his water dish and flipped on his side which I find alarming as he doesn’t seem to be able to correct himself and I can’t baby sit the wee guy all day. Other than this he appears to be healthy and active. He is awake around nine hours of the day, carry’s his weight, bright eyed and looks hydrated.

He lives in an indoor tortoise table around four ft by three ft. I use soil substrate about five cm deep, a combination heat/uvb bulb, a hide, basking temp of 30 with cooler area of 18 -20. I’m bathing him daily just now as he is probably not getting enough fluid from his little nibbles of food.

Does all this seem ok?

Thanks Pete x

Hi Pete

More experience people will answer your questions.

But where is your water dish in the enclosure? It is best to place it away from the edges of the enclosure and away from heat lamps. Because tortoises often pace the edges of their enclosure and stand on their back legs when they do that, this is how they fall on their back in a water dish if the water dish is close to the edges.

Also you can dig-in the water dish in the soil so that your baby does not have to climb too high over the dish to get in and out of it. If you feel the water is too deep in the dish you can add small flat stones at the bottom, the stones will also provide some grip to flip back just in case.

Hope this is helpful.

#11 Micha2011

Micha2011

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hi

I moved the water dish away from the side after finding him in there. His water dish is flush with the substrate and I also added a couple of stones for the reason you mentioned. Thankfully I haven’t found him in there since. I’ve ‘child proofed’ his house as much as I can, while still ensuring he has little mounds to work those wee leg muscles and make his environment a bit more interesting.

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users