Hermann Tortoises’ Eggs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hello

I have a question…do female Hermann tortoises lay eggs even if they don’t mate with a male? If yes, when would they lay these eggs if they don’t mate?

Thank you

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:18 PM

It does happen sometimes, but is more usual if theyve laid eggs in the past. Theres no pattern as to when they lay, it can be any time. If a tortoise has regularly laid eggs, its a good idea to let a male run with them occasionally as they can develop follicular status, which is a build up of eggs that havent been shelled. This can kill. So, when people say not to rehome a female with males (as some rehoming organisations frequently do) its always worth asking if theyve laid eggs previously :)

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi Sue
So if my understanding is correct, female Hermann tortoises don't lay eggs like hens, do they? I mean hens lay eggs even if they don't live with a cockerel.

Thanks
Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

Not quite like hens, as on a daily basis, as they don’t have a need to care for their eggs. I’m not well up on the physiology of birds lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users