Natural Edible Chalk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hi there

I have a question on chalk.

As chalk is calcium carbonate, would it be suitable to put a chunk of natural edible chalk in the enclosure of my baby Hermann tortoises (they are 2 years old) so that they can nibble on it and trim frequently their beaks?

I found this natural edible chalk from Europe. 

https://earthsclayst...cambridge-chalk

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you very much

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

Hi, yes chalk is good to have in their enclosures, they seem to eat it best when its been weathered and it crumbles, i leave it in their outside enclosure and bring bits in when it's gone soft.

I order mine from this lady she's a big part of the tortoise community, you get chalk, limestone and free seeds from her.   :)    https://www.ebay.co....McAAOSwHMJYGNF-

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

I make my own limestone blocks from limeston3 flour, but going to try the one Karen mentions, although don’t need seeds and limestone flour, so would prefer to buy just the limestone.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I make my own limestone blocks from limeston3 flour, but going to try the one Karen mentions, although don’t need seeds and limestone flour, so would prefer to buy just the limestone.

I'm sure you can order the chalk on it's own Sue, you might be best messaging Sonya through the group and not ebay.  :) 

#5 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

Here is Sonya's Ebay link for lump chalk only (but still with free seeds of Ribworth plantains).

https://www.ebay.co....qQAAOSw~OVW0r--

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Sabina. Will give it a whirl :) Thats a good price too compared with other torty sellers. Happy days!

#7 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

It seems that a lot of the chalk in the market comes from Ukraine....and given the precedents with Chernobyl and nontransparent facts on pollution these days in that area etc, I certainly don't want to give my precious babies some chalk from Ukraine.

I'll make sure the chalk I choose to buy is sourced far away from there. Better to be safe than sorry. May be i am too paranoid but i am always picky on the source of what i buy,especially when it goes through the mouth everyday.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

No, Sabina, you’re certainly not paranoid. Years back people started giving crushed oyster shells to tortoises, heaven knows why, but a lot of this stuff was found to be contaminated with mercury poisoning. I’ve never used it and can’t see why you would, but it shows how silly trends can be dangerous. Do let us know what your findings are. I’ve been looking at various ones today and saw one was supposedly sourced from Norfolk which I thought was a bit odd. I’m not a geologist though lol

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

Sonya emailed me back and she said her lump chalk is sourced from a Norfolk quarry within the UK.

I also googled "chalk quarry in the UK", and I found the following:

Needham Chalks in Norfolk

Somborne Chalk Quarry in Hampshire

Fairy Cave Quarry in Sommerset

So YES great we have indigenous chalk in the UK!!!  :thumbup:

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

There’s plenty in Dover, but don’t think they’d like us taking that lol. My daughter just tried to order the eBay one and it wouldn’t let her! Oh well, back to the homemade limestone blocks :)

#11 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hi Sue

This Ebay link below from Sonya's lump chalk should work. I bought a kilo from her this morning.

https://www.ebay.co....tm/132386103715

I think the other Ebay link that you tried expired, I mean the sale date expired, that's why.

Sabina

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking