Tortoise Member

• 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hi

I wonder if anybody could recommend so really good accurate scales for tortoise weighing. I do have some that were on the cheaper end but tonight when weighing Herbie I got between 28 and 34 grams if I took him off the scale and then zeroed it and put him back on again. Obviously with him being so small this is a huge difference so would like to know the scales are giving a correct weight with regards feeding etc. Any suggestions?

Vikki.

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

There are pocket scales on eBay from around £10 which give readings from 0.5 grams. Might be in the jewellery section and I'm told they are used by more unscrupulous dealers too ;) I use them for hatchlings.

#3 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Sue,

Had a quick look on amazon and saw something similar and think it weighed in 0.01gram increments so would hopefully be more accurate. The ones I have at the moment are the normal kitchen type which only weigh in 1 gram increments so think I will have to put those away for when he is bigger or use them in the kitchen!

#4 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hi Vikki,

I use a Salter digital kitchen scale which, although it only weighs in 1g increments, seems to give fairly accurate results (ie: more consistant than those you're reporting) so I guess models vary. There's also a discussion on scales and weighing techniques on this forum (under heading "size") you might find helpful.

Regards,
Chris

#5 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the help - I have had a read of the discussion and found that helpful these are the ones I saw on amazon and seem to be a real bargain at the moment ;

Smart weigh 500x0.01g digital pro pocket scales.

Recommended retail price is £59.99 but currently £16.99 so not cheapest but like the shape and also the fact they will go up to 500grams so will last a while!!

What does everyone think? :)

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Sue,
Had a quick look on amazon and saw something similar and think it weighed in 0.01gram increments so would hopefully be more accurate. The ones I have at the moment are the normal kitchen type which only weigh in 1 gram increments so think I will have to put those away for when he is bigger or use them in the kitchen!

Yea, they will be the ones, not sure where I got 0.5 from, somewhere in the depths of my ageing brain lol

#7 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Thanks - have just spotted some that weigh in 0.1 gram increments but will weigh up to 2kg  they are by the same company but are only £14.99 and still should be accurate enough - bargain!! - it is amazing how much money you can spend on one small tortoise - the mini shed that arrived yesterday cost £85.00 and I was just going to put it together and they haven't even sent the right screws!! next will be boards for the run and lighting/heating and then before we know it I will need a fridge for hibernation - at least his food is free!!! :laugh:

#8 rob160117

rob160117

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

I asked my vet which weighing scales they use, so I knew I was using something high quality / very accurate - and they recommended Marsden to me. Personally I'm using Marsden's V-22 model: http://www.marsden-w...rsden-v-22.html

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

That's brilliant if you have a need for accuracy, as in weighing animals for medical reasons. Jewellers scales are very accurate though for tiny torts at a fraction of the cost and to be honest, this level of accuracy isn't needed once the tortoise gets past hatchling size.

#10 HRE

HRE

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 1 posts
  • Interests:My Reptiles & Other Animals!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hi all - I'm new on here, & have only had one tortoise for about two years - she's a Hermann's & now 11 years old - gifted to me by the first owners after their child left home. She was a 'he' until deciding to lay eggs on my watch!

I work in a school science department, & we have our scales serviced & checked most years, certainly after two years. The man who does this, &  also services our microscopes, uses a check weight to re-calibrate each of our scales in the labs. Some vary wildly!

I googled, & there is some good advice on line regards checking the accuracy of your scales (& for diddly torts accuracy must be paramount I guess!)

http://www.doityours...al-weight-scale

Lots of other sites exist with advice on this.

HTH?

Heather

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users