Mediterranean Herbs As Natural Remedies For Ill Tortoises

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

I have an a question on herbs:

Would Mediterranean herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, oregano, marjoram, basil) and bee pollen (although high in protein content) help tortoises to recover in case they have an infection? Or at least help to support their immune system?

Would torts instinctively nibble on them to boost their immune system?

Would you infuse some fresh thyme for example and bath them in the infusion and also put the infusion in their water dishes as drinking water?

#2 wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Greyhound rescue

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

It’s difficult to tell, I imagine, if the therapeutic effects of herbs on tortoises systems are the same as they are on humans, given that they have different digestive systems, in that foods pass through much slower than in mammals. Tortoises such as hermanni and graeca, that live in areas rich in herbs such as thyme, oregano, rosemary etc are rarely (if ever) seen eating these herbs. That’s not to say they might have some innate instinct if they are unwell. I have one that will do anything to reach foxgloves, but the time she did manage to knock a pot over and eat a fair bit she was ill and needed flushing with water for a couple of days. It’s 15 years since that happened and despite all foxgloves now being eradicated, she’s still with us, so I guess I’ll never know if she had heart problems :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users