• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:36 AM

Harry turned 54 this week, and he's still going like a little tank. Here's some pics of him taken during the recent sunshine:

IMG-1229.jpg

IMG-1233.png

IMG-1228.jpg

IMG-1227.jpg

IMG-1230.jpg

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:14 PM

Happy Birthdat Harry :birthday:

He looks great Graham.. lovely pics.

:blowcandles:

Carol x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

He’s in his prime Graham. Did you have him as a hatchling? Lucky to know his actual age

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

I've had Harry nine years now, can't believe where the time's gone. He hatched on June 21st 1967, and was bought by the breeder's neighbour for five shillings (25p). She had him for forty-two years before she passed away in 2009. As you can see by his smooth shell and general good health, he was well looked after. Harry then went to a patient of mine who fosters and re homes tortoises in the same situation as Harry. 
Around that time I'd decided I'd like a tortoise, and realising it was a big undertaking, spent a good two years thoroughly researching the subject, and preparing the garden for his residence. In 2012 the garden was looking good with flowers and weeds, and I felt confident that I'd learnt enough to care for him properly. I also joined this forum to ask the plethora of questions I knew I'd have along the way. 
Harry joined the family that same year and settled in really well right from the start. The lady I got him from was very well-meaning, but old-fashioned in tortoise husbandry, and as a result, he was rather underweight. Thankfully, he took to his new proper diet very quickly, and gained 200g in the first five weeks. Now he stays at a steady 1550g which is perfect for his size.
Yes, he is a little spoilt, but not mollycoddled; I like him to live as close to as he would in the wild as possible.
His future is pretty secure; he's likely to outlive us, so we'll have him until the time comes. Our son loves him, and has also learnt to look after him properly. He's also stated that he fully intends to inherit him (along with the house, no doubt!) when we're six feet under, so it seems Harry doesn't have to worry about where he's going to end up.
Quite a fortunate little tortoise methinks! 

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

Wow, that’s an interesting story Graham. I’m betting though, that although he was underweight, the natural life contributed to his smooth shell. He looks very much like my Sam (usually known as Sam the B) or naughty Sam by the children. My torts are spoiled too, but only in a torty way rather than the fate of so many. He’s actually a good weight for an adult male, many are around the 1kg mark. Well done Harry and of course Graham.

#6 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

It is a fantastic story, and great as you say to know where he has come from.

He looks really well and happy :) .

Carol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users