Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ladybird_*

Guest_ladybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

I am about to go though my first hibernation with my two (recently)5 year old torts! I've had them for6 months and they have hibernated before (fridge method) PANIC!!
The smaller of the two has slowed down by about 75% already and all she wants to do is bask or bury, off food too. The larger tort has slowed down by about 50%. Is it too early to start starving them ? Does it matter sooner rather than later. They're on a tort table with all correct light/heat.

#2 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-10-07 AT 08:51 AM (GMT)]work out how long and when you want them in hibernation then backtrack, ie if you aimed for 12 weeks and you want them to wake end of feb then you want to starve in november and for them to go down december, if they are inside then you can control when etc, if they go down this early then your looking at them waking in january which could be when the bad weather is here, its still very mild and I'm keeping my youngsters awake as long as I can as mine are boxed and I don't have any control over the weather, dec/jan and feb are our coldest months so those would be the best time to have them out of the way, make sure though that you have the indoors enclosure ready so that if you have to wake one then you have somewhere to put it, I got caught out last year when my babies awoke before I wanted and it was panic stations to get things up and running.sorry one more thing if you can ask the previous owner when they slowed them etc that could help as its hard to change what theyv'e been used to.

#3 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hi
That sounds like good advice to me Suirrelann.
Pies

#4 Guest_ladybird_*

Guest_ladybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. It's been a lot warmer over the last couple of days and they've really perked up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users