• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Hi everyone, so Im planning my outdoor enclosure for my 15 month hermann and wondered what people think of this Tortoise house

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B00AAV0IKG

If I go for this I will attach a run on the side so she has an indoor and outdoor space as she pleases.

When I put her outside will she be able to stay out in this overnight?

Thanks for any advice you can give 😊

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Hi

Please see the thread called "Living Outdoors Permantly - Eek!". That will give you some initial information.

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=9803

#3 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hi

I also found it difficult to put my tort outside but she is a lot happier. I have put pics on of her enclosure to see if it helps nothing elaborate she has full access to our garden as we have made sure it is tort proof, they are fantastic escape artist.. It is always an ongoing process the feedback and knowledge on this is site is fantastic although I do get a little confused too.. lol.. think its my age.. :rolleyes: 

Attached Files

#4 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for your replies they have been very helpful, Ive been to b&q today and got some bits and Ive ordered a run and a cold frame so hopefully the weather will improve so I can let her in the garden! Once shes out if I get the house Ive put a link too would she be able to stay out all night? Shes 15 months

Thanks
Angela

#5 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

Im now wondering if something like this would be a better investment in the long run they do various sizes

https://www.garden-p...4ft-cold-frame/

Also If I used something like this would my Tortoise be able to stay in it overnight and at cooler times of the year? And how much outside space in addition to this would be ideal? Sorry for all the questions I just want to provide the best living environment I can

#6 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

Hi Angela, I have babies too.

Babies can stay 24/7 outdoors from end of May to mid-September, the main requirement is heat lamp in a dry area for warm up during daytime and during bad weather, and a shelter with sufficient height where to put the heat lamp (for example a cold frame).

Depending of your exposure to sun in the garden, you might want to put the heat lamp longer. You will judge quickly when necessary by observing the behaviour of your baby.

Also depending of the weather, if it is a sunny day, the heat lamp is not needed all day long. If it is a mix day, or grey day or rainy day, i leave the heat lamp on all day and they use it when they need.

The cold frame I have has an automatic window lifter to open the top. It has a piston which react to heat, so the cold frame never overheats.

I provide no heat, no light for the babies at night from end of May to mid-September. In fact in the wild in their natural habitat the night temp often go down below 10 degrees Celsius and very humid, and they thrive that way.

If you get a cold frame where you can put the heat lamp, the house you showed us will be redundant and not much added value to your baby. My babies only have a cold frame with a heat lamp inside, the rest is outdoors living. They sleep either inside or outside the cold frame.

I hope this helps.

Sabina

#7 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Thank you Sabina thats really helpful, the cold frame I put a link too has an option to have automatic vents. Do you think this cold frame would be suitable and how long do you think it would be adequate size wise for?

The space I have at the moment has just enough room to fit this cold frame with a 4ft run attached, would this be enough space?
I have seen photos of your enclosure its amazing!! 😊

Many thanks

#8 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Also sorry can you recommend a hear lamp and thermostat

Thanks

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

For outdoor you need a what we call a pig lamp, also called infra red lamp at 100W, and the dome.

For outdoor you don't need a thermostat from end of May to mid-September. Only measure the temp at ground level under the heat lamp, best to use a laser thermometer to measure.

#10 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Sorry I did not see your previous question about the cold frame.
The one I have is 1m by 1m is plenty of space for two babies. They figured out quikly how to use it.

A cold frame is suitable when your tort is outdoors from End of May to mid-September. When your tortoise (basically when adult) is able to live outdoors all year round except during hibernation of course it will need another specific set-up for adults.

Sabina

A run of 4ft attached to the old frame is enough for your baby. I saw this type of set-up done by keepers in Germany. Of courses as your baby grows year by year the living space required become bigger.

And thank you very much for your kind note on my a closure.

Sabina

#11 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

Thanks you you have been really helpful, I cant wait to set up the enclosure now I will try and post some pictures once its done.

Angela

#12 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

Sabina do you think I need a cold frame that can open automatically? The one I want has roof that slides

Thanks

#13 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

If guess it depends on the exposure of the cold frame to the sun, and how high your cold frame heats up.

The first thing I can think of is putting a secured net on the sliding doors when they are opened and a very obvious way out for the tortoise to get in and out of the cold frame. You will have to put a thermometer in the cold frame and monitor the temp and judge whether you need to open/close the sliding doors totally or partially according to the weather and temp inside the cold frame especially when the su n hits the cold frame.
Also you will judge with the behaviour of your tort.
You will need to lock the sliding doors after they go to sleep.

Sabina

#14 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

I posted 2 links of two cold frames with a roof on top and that can be fitted with a automatic roof opener, have a look in case you you like it. I believe they are also cheaper than yours. From another angle, I usually think about what is best and the most workable for tortoises rather than what I want, if that makes sense?

The cold frame I have comes from Germany, a bit complicated to get it :)

Sabina

#15 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Sabina I have taken your advice and just ordered one with a lift up lid so I can fit an automatic opener as I cant constantly monitor throughout the day because of work.

Thanks for your help and advice (Im sure I will have some more questions if you dont mind) 😊

#16 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

Cool, which one are you getting?

Thanks

S.

#17 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

http://www.greenfing...4&pf_id=LS6535D

I went for this one hope its ok x

#18 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

Looks fine thanks for posting.

Make sure that if little rain water goes through the roof it does not wet the electrical installation, and check if the automatic window opener you will get can be fitted on the wooden frame of ths cold frame.

Please when you have the set up finished post some pictures. Always good to see what other keepers do and which ideas they have.

Thanks again

Sabina

#19 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for your reply I will definitely post some pictures once its all set up. I love looking at other peoples for ideas 😊

#20 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Hi I thought I would post some pictures of the outdoor enclosure Ive started, its work in progress but any advice or tips are much appreciated. I have put my Tortoise (ipsy) out in it yesterday and today and she seemed to love it. I have had to take her back in at night which I know isnt ideal to keep moving her but its not completely secure yet and I thought the weather was too good for her to miss. I hope it looks ok

Thanks

Angela

Attached File  88449699-8B85-4FD4-8372-6CA0237A5C9A.png   325.38KB   2 downloads
Attached File  BE10F8CD-9368-4A43-8E54-E296F0A13A22.png   491.83KB   0 downloads
Attached File  4038C457-B8C7-4926-8B3B-DF9D8D2399B2.png   551.02KB   0 downloads
Attached File  B9F0FC16-851D-426E-979B-2ED9EAA6BDCA.jpeg   111.03KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users