incubator hell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

TODAY IS DAY 61 for my eggs. our local pet shop has told me that my fridge type incubator screen reads a different temperature to the one inside the incubator.

i came home and put a thermometer inside the incubator. ive now found that the screen reads 31 and the thermometer read 26.

i know that 3 of the eggs are fertile and i can see a dark mass in them, but i have incubated them at 26. will i have killed the eggs? what should i do? this has really put me off incubating again.......tiggy :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

#2 Guest_hermann bruce_*

Guest_hermann bruce_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

TODAY IS DAY 61 for my eggs. our local pet shop has told me that my fridge type incubator screen reads a different temperature to the one inside the incubator.

i came home and put a thermometer inside the incubator. ive now found that the screen reads 31 and the thermometer read 26.

i know that 3 of the eggs are fertile and i can see a dark mass in them, but i have incubated them at 26. will i have killed the eggs? what should i do? this has really put me off incubating again.......tiggy :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

calm down!!!if you have been incubaing at 26 its gonna take a bit longer to hatch and the chances are that they will be males.i think 26 cud be boarder line though

dont give up hope just yet

bruce

#3 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

thank you bruce, you have put my mind a little at rest. im really desperate for babies and so up set that i may have killed them......tiggy

#4 Guest_paulb_*

Guest_paulb_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi Tiggy

It is my understanding that the incubation times for hermanns (if that is what you have) are as follows. 56 to 63 days at 30c - 31c
and 75 to 80 days at 25c - 28c. So im thinking you have got to be a little more patient which is not easy (I know from experience) and look forward to owning some great new torts .

I wish you luck.

Paul

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hi Tiggy,
It's not your fault the incubator temps were wrong. I can understand you getting a bit of a fright, thinking the eggs are lost! Hopefully everything will work out fine. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#6 Guest_tiggy_*

Guest_tiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

thank you paul and freddy, i felt sick when i realised what i had done.i couldnt beleave that i was so stupid not to check that it was the right tempriture, i just thought that because the thermomitor was built in that it must be right. i will know next time.....tiggy

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

I've always found it best to have at least two thermometers in use if the temp is really important. Every one will give a different reading!

An easy way to calibrate a thermometer at 0 c is to fill a glass with cold water and lots of ice. After 15 mins the temp in there will be a tad over 0C. Stick your probe in; leave it for 5 mins and it should now be showing 0 or a tad over. Any variance from that is the amount that thermometer is out.

I hope your eggs are still ok tiggy. These things happen good luck and I'd say keep on incubating!

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

#9 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hi Tiggy
keeping fingers crossed for you,best of luck.
Jayne

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users