1 reply to this topic

#1 yorkshire-hermann

yorkshire-hermann

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Running ,travel, films tortoise

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I adopted  healthy active 18 yr old male Hermann   George  2yrs ago and he has hibernated for a period of 12 weeks both last winter and this.

Both times he as gone in his own fridge and maintained a good weight ( jackson weight length calculation ) both times  he has woken up fine and active, eating with in a day or so.

Having read many books  I am confused on what is a safe period of time to hibernate my tortoise as it varies from one expert to another ,

we monitor him and check his weight every week at least  .Any advice please

#2 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

Weight doesn´t mean anything. It´s useless to weigh and disturb George. Hermanns can die without loosing weight and they can loose weight and are healthy. They can die or be alive after 3 months or 5 months of hibernation. If the conditions are o.k. and the animal is healthy, it doesn´t matter, how long it hibernates.

Just 2 days ago I got an email from Greece from someone who keeps tortoises in their natural environment. And he writes, some were still in the ground. And also my hermanns here in Germany are still in the ground under the cold-frames. They usually come out at the end of March till the mid of April.

If you keep George outside after hibernation with a cold-frame as shelter, just put him out of the fridge an the end of March in his cold-frame, put him in the place, where he was in autumn, when you put him in the fridge or put him in his usual sleeping place. Then he can appear when it suits him. If you have lamps, turn them on and wait......

It´s better when he awakes later, for then the herbs are already growing and he can eat natural food, which is very important, especially in spring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users