• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geraldine

Geraldine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

Hi I am just about to start building an outdoor enclosure for my two 2yr old Hermann Tortoises. Could someone please advise what heat lamp I should get for it? Also do I need a secure insulated hutch for them to sleep in or can they just sleep under the covered area where I will install a tubular heater with a thermostat. 

Many thanks

Geraldine

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

Hi I am just about to start building an outdoor enclosure for my two 2yr old Hermann Tortoises. Could someone please advise what heat lamp I should get for it? Also do I need a secure insulated hutch for them to sleep in or can they just sleep under the covered area where I will install a tubular heater with a thermostat. 

Many thanks

Geraldine

Hi Geraldine,

They need a heated area outside with a heat lamp in, where you have the heat lamp it needs to be dry and waterproof and also a large enough area to hold the basking lamp safely with no fire risks, all you need is a ceramic holder the same as indoors with a heat bulb this then can be used for cooler mornings or dull days, a large cold frame or large kennel would work well, also just make sure it's predator proof at all times hope that helps.   :) 

#3 Geraldine

Geraldine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Hi Karen, can I just confirm that a heat lamp & basking lamp are the same thing?  At the moment I use a combined heat/uvb lamp indoors.  I understand that outside I just need a heat lamp?

Many thanks for your help.

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

Hello yes heat lamp/basking lamp are same.

Outdoors a pig lamp of 100W for example is sufficient because the sun provides UV rays. These are to keep animals in farms warm, and you would only need one at 100W.

But you can also transfer your indoors heat/basking bulb to the outdoors shelter and that will do the job as well. That was what I did last summer for my babies.

For any lamp in the shelter outdoors you adjust the lamp height to have a 30-32 degrees temp at ground level.

Hope this helps.

Sabina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users