8 replies to this topic

#1 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

We have an 8 year old Hermann and we are planning to hibernate him for the first time this year. I have read lots of useful advice on this website about doing the wind down etc. As it's his (and our) first time, have you any paarticular advice for us? I'm worried he is quite old to start hibernating and now realise we should have been doing it earlier. What month should we start the wind down and hibernating? And how long should we hibernate him for?

Many thanks

Anna

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Well done for making a wise choice. He's a mere baby in the tortoise world, but as you say, he would have probably set a better overall growth pattern if he'd started earlier. This won't make it any harder though as it's a natural process. If you are using a fridge, it doesn't matter what time you do it as you are in control of the temps. If using natural methods though, you need to be guided by the weather. Mine usually start wind down in October and go in in November, coming back out in March sometime. This is how I do mine www.tortsmad.com/hibernation.htm There is always someone around to help you though. Do you have photos of your tortoise? Hope this helps.

#3 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

Thank you Sue. I'll post some pictures of him tomorrow. We were planning to do the fridge method as I read this is safest in terms of controlling the temperature.

#4 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

Here's Rocky!

Attached Files

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:33 AM

Hi Anna,

Rocky is lovely. :)  I've used the fridge method for hibernating for some years it works really well, hibernation seems scary at first but once you get into it it's fine and were always here to help through it. :) 

#6 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Karen. I'm going to look into the fridge method. We were planning to start the wind down in October. Is this about the right time?
Anna x

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:41 AM

Hi Anna,

Yes October/ November will be fine i leave my little ones that go in the fridge till Nov then hibernate them from Dec, my adults are earlier but have a longer hibernation. :) 

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hi Anna,

Do you use facebook at all as there's a good group on there to join where you can do the wind down with others and get a daily report of what to do if you are here you go. :)   https://www.facebook.../?ref=bookmarks

#9 tortoise1978

tortoise1978

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Karen. I've joined the group I'm sure that will be helpful too. X

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users