5 replies to this topic

#1 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

I'm having a mild panic!
I just went to check on my tortoise this evening as I always do and I couldn't find her.... When I eventually did I found that she had buried herself in the soil, Completely covered,
Is she trying to hibernate?! I know the temp got a little low last night but still not below 8 degrees, plus this morning I woke her with a bath, she's been fed and she basked in the sun all day....
I'm really worried 🤪
Do you have any advice at all?

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:00 AM

I'm having a mild panic!
I just went to check on my tortoise this evening as I always do and I couldn't find her.... When I eventually did I found that she had buried herself in the soil, Completely covered,
Is she trying to hibernate?! I know the temp got a little low last night but still not below 8 degrees, plus this morning I woke her with a bath, she's been fed and she basked in the sun all day....
I'm really worried
Do you have any advice at all?

Hi,

It's normal for tortoises to dig down over night when temperatures are low it doesn't mean she's trying to hibernate, do you have any heat in there for her for over night.  :)

#3 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

Hello,
I don't have heat overnight, just during the day. She's never done this before so I assumed it was her trying to hibernate, but given that she has been out basking in the sun all day I was shocked. Do you think its ok to continue leaving her outside for now? She's not due to start her wind down for hibernation until December.
Thanks!

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:55 AM

It is about time now to start to get the young tortoises living in the UK back indoors.

Also torts back indoors soon for those who don't have adequate set up that meets the physiological needs for adult torts to continue to live longer outdoors 24/7 in the UK until they hibernate.

In about a week this is the beginning of autumn.

Sabina

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:05 AM

Hello,
I don't have heat overnight, just during the day. She's never done this before so I assumed it was her trying to hibernate, but given that she has been out basking in the sun all day I was shocked. Do you think its ok to continue leaving her outside for now? She's not due to start her wind down for hibernation until December.
Thanks!

Hi,

For young tortoises digging down over night is what's best for them, if their too warm then they don't always do this so she's doing what comes natural to her with the temperature drop, it's good to hear she's still getting up and basking in the sun and eating but at this time of year they need both basking and back ground heat especially over night so if this can't be achieved over night then it would be best to bring her indoors now, hope that helps.  :)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

Agree, it’s impossible to keep torts outdoors in the uk without added heat. They are a Mediterranean species so need help in the uk :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users