Tortoise Protection Group Calendar 2018

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

The calendars are for sale and this is to raise money for this year’s chosen Charity: the Durrell Trust Ploughshare Tortoise Project.

http://www.tortoise-...ar_2018_210.asp

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

The calendars are for sale and this is to raise money for this year’s chosen Charity: the Durrell Trust Ploughshare Tortoise Project.

http://www.tortoise-...ar_2018_210.asp

There's loads of tortoise calendars out at the minute, everyone has done one I never buy these as I get my own done all with different pictures of my tortoises.  :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

And beautiful ones they are too Karen. Ive been to the Durrell foundation and while there are some good projects such as the ploughshare tortoise conservation, I’m not sure how many of these animals will ever be reintroduced to the wild and how many are being kept captive unnecessarily? I’m all for conservation efforts, but not if those animals are only to be kept in substandard captivity and never reintroduced to their natural habitat. On the whole, I get really upset after zoo visits, so don’t go any more. A zoo not too far from here is supposedly the best in the UK. If that’s the case, then things are not looking good. Large animals, used to roaming many miles, kept in small enclosures, showing the usual classic signs of stress, infant deaths, unwanted males culled and fed to other animals.

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

And beautiful ones they are too Karen. Ive been to the Durrell foundation and while there are some good projects such as the ploughshare tortoise conservation, I’m not sure how many of these animals will ever be reintroduced to the wild and how many are being kept captive unnecessarily? I’m all for conservation efforts, but not if those animals are only to be kept in substandard captivity and never reintroduced to their natural habitat. On the whole, I get really upset after zoo visits, so don’t go any more. A zoo not too far from here is supposedly the best in the UK. If that’s the case, then things are not looking good. Large animals, used to roaming many miles, kept in small enclosures, showing the usual classic signs of stress, infant deaths, unwanted males culled and fed to other animals.

Ah thank you Sue for the information, I posted the link quite candidly. 

What is the best way to support and donate for good tortoise projects and reintroduction in the wild? What are the good projects to donate to?

Thanks 

Sabina

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Sue do you know much about this, it's all over the groups at the minute.  :wink: 

THE ALBERA TORTOISE PRJECT*
Now featured on HermanniHaven.com is "The Albera Tortoise Project". This conservation initiative is crucial in saving this genetically distinct form of Testudo hermanni hermanni from extinction. Already an endangered species (and one of the most endangered reptiles of Western Europe), the Albera form of the western Hermann's tortoise is at immediate risk for a devastating future.
PLEASE PLEASE visit the page, read about the project and then click the "DONATE NOW" button at the bottom to show your support.
This is the direct link: https://www.hermanni...ortoise-project
Thank you all in advance.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users