• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

Just come home from work and whilst checking on my female adults in their pen, I came across this - pic 1
Normally very good at identifying nests and recovering eggs.
Surprised this baby managed to get through incubation on its own. Can only think it was laid with the outside sleeping house, which can get very warm.
He is under weight at 10gram. Gave him a bath and he drank loads. See pic.
Have noticed some damage on the front marginal scutes, which seem to have some movement see pic. It appears to be a small wound, with a little blood. Have applied small amount of Terodine . He is not moving much and feeling very sorry for himself.
Have put him in with my other recent hatchlings. Fingers crossed.
He also has 2 extra scuts, something I have not seen in any of my incubator hatchlings. I have read this can be due to very high temperatures during incubation, another reason why I think this hatched within the heated housing.

Attached Files

#2 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

This is where I found him.

Attached Files

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:23 AM

Hi,

How amazing to find this little one who has naturally incubated, it also must have been a surprise  :)

How's the little one doing now, and have you come across any more as there's a good chance there's more hatchlings there. x  :)

#4 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

He seems to be doing a little better. Still not out of the woods yet. Bit more active and now weighing 13g. Don't won't to handle him as hoping the damage to him marginal scutes will heal more quickly. I Did have a look around he outside pen but it is quite large with many places for a baby to hide.
There also the chance of predation.
I will keep any eye out.
Years back it took me a while to get incubation right to get hatchlings so yes amazed to find this baby. Especially as I am very good at spotting the gravid signs. This is when I also set up my camera so that I can record when not there.
Do you think the extra scutes are due to the high day time temperatures that the housing reaches?

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

He seems to be doing a little better. Still not out of the woods yet. Bit more active and now weighing 13g. Don't won't to handle him as hoping the damage to him marginal scutes will heal more quickly. I Did have a look around he outside pen but it is quite large with many places for a baby to hide.
There also the chance of predation.
I will keep any eye out.
Years back it took me a while to get incubation right to get hatchlings so yes amazed to find this baby. Especially as I am very good at spotting the gravid signs. This is when I also set up my camera so that I can record when not there.
Do you think the extra scutes are due to the high day time temperatures that the housing reaches?

That's good to hear, hopefully every day the little one gets stronger and stronger, and the weather is supposed to get really nice again over the next few days so if there is any more they might pop up from the soil and you find them first.

The extra scutes could be down to the high temperature I've heard it can do this, but I do remember myself having some hatchlings with extra scrutes from one clutch then not anymore and these were all incubated at the same temperature, my Horsfield hatchling never had any. 

Please keep us updated on this little one. x 

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Lovely surprise, keep an eye out for more. Odd scutes can be due to temperature, but can also be genetic. I’ve had odd ones like this several times. I also have elderly adults with odd scutes, which are most likely genetic.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

Hi, did you find any more hatchlings, and hows this little one doing now. x   :)

#8 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

Didn't find anymore hatchlings. There a few places where they could hide in dense cover, but I am not hopeful of finding anymore. Little one has put some weight on and have seen him eating so I guess he is through the worst. Still small when compared to my other babies hatched this year. He is moving around more as well.

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:51 AM

Didn't find anymore hatchlings. There a few places where they could hide in dense cover, but I am not hopeful of finding anymore. Little one has put some weight on and have seen him eating so I guess he is through the worst. Still small when compared to my other babies hatched this year. He is moving around more as well.

Hi how's this little one doing now. x   :)

#10 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

Doing really well. Up to 28 grams. Settled in well with the rest of this hatchlings. The damage to the marginal scutes seems to have healed itself. Never did find anymore hatchlings. Still surprised at how I missed the nest as I use live camera and a lapse time camera in the female enclosure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users