• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Hello I need some advice please I have a baby Hermanns she arrived Friday and was weighed before at 75g I have weighed her this morning and my scales say 54g. I don't know if it's a discrepancy with different scales or if I should be concerned. She is active during the day moving around her table and has healthy poo.
Please could someone give me some advice.Thank you

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Guessing at that weight it’s around 2 years old. It’s most likely a scales discrepancy, but make sure it’s well hydrated, weigh again and repeat in a week. If it was couriered to you it’s very possible that the stress has made it empty out more than usual. A pee and a poo are heavier than you think. It’s not possible to tell the sex at this age, you will need to wait a few years to be sure ;) Is it eating ok?

#3 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Thank you for your reply she is eating fine, having a bath every morning and has access to water and all her other behaviour is normal. I have started a weight log aswell. Just another question if you don't mind. How long should she be in the bath?

#4 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for your reply she is eating fine, having a bath every morning and has access to water and all her other behaviour is normal. I have started a weight log aswell. Just another question if you don't mind. How long should she be in the bath?

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

To begin with I’d leave baby in the bath for 15-20 mins or so, unless distressed. They will often pee at the same time which gives you a chance to check for urates (the white stuff) to see it is nice and liquid and not gritty. They do this because the hold onto water until a new source is found, because in the wild they could go a long time between drinks :)

#6 rainbowandyroo

rainbowandyroo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users