• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hi, I've only had my tortoise popeye for a few weeks and I think he's settled in(hatched 2014). He is indoors in a tortoise table at the moment but my I've convinced my partner that he needs to build an outdoor area for him. Now, until reading on here I didn't even know what a cold frame was! A mini greenhouse effect? I have looked them up now but is their purpose for cold days? do you have hide area at the other end? Just trying to get the picture clear in my head of the purpose for each piece of kit.
Thanks

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Hi Charlotte,

Yes people add cold frames to enclosures because when the sun hits them the temps in them are higher this gives the tortoise a choice to use it if they want a warmer area :)  me personally I think if your thinking of making an outside enclosure your better doing it with some heat outside, so some thing with a heat lamp in, this can then be used on cooler days and the tortoise can stay outside all the time through the warmer months, I don't use a cold frame in my enclosures mine just have a heated area. :)

#3 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

Thank you! Still researching , will have to pinch electric from the garage! X

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

Hi Charlotte,
Yes people add cold frames to enclosures because when the sun hits them the temps in them are higher this gives the tortoise a choice to use it if they want a warmer area :)  me personally I think if your thinking of making an outside enclosure your better doing it with some heat outside, so some thing with a heat lamp in, this can then be used on cooler days and the tortoise can stay outside all the time through the warmer months, I don't use a cold frame in my enclosures mine just have a heated area. :)

Me too. I use a greenhouse, but that has lamps for cold weather days, as no matter what the concept, a cold frame is not going to warm up to 30 degrees on a wet and windy day. I know some say this will work, but in over thirty years I've not found them to be much more than a shelter. You definitely need electrics to keep torts outdoors in the UK as we are trying to replicate the conditions of the Med as closely as possible ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users