The Norwich Tortoise Society

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lensangel1_*

Guest_lensangel1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2002 - 08:40 PM

Hi
Anyone living in the Norfolk area will be made welcome at the Norfolk Dumpling every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm to chat and discuss what else, but Tortoises :}

Take care
Di

#2 Guest_gillip4_*

Guest_gillip4_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:24 PM

Hello Di,
My name is Philip and I live in Norwich. I am interested in getting a tortoise and have visited the Norwich reptile company to view some small tortoises. Do you know if this is a reputable place to get a tortoise from? I have decided upon either a herman or a spurr thighed tortoise, i have read about hubandry aspects on the tortoise trust website but would appreciate some more specific information!
The tortoises I can afford are only the size of a match box, Is there a kind of pre-made vivarium i could buy with all the heater and lighting complete with it? If so, which do you recommend and how much are they? Secondly, What do you advise i put in the tank to keep my tortoise happy (sand? special bedding? rocks?) and how often would I need to change this? Finally aswell as feeding my tortoise leaf matter I would like to give it calcium and vitamin supplements which do you recommend and what doses apply. I would appreciate any other tips or advice on how to set up also!
looking forward to your response - Philip

#3 Guest_Lisa McIntyre_*

Guest_Lisa McIntyre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:30 PM

Hi Philip

My name is Philip and I live in Norwich. I am interested in getting a tortoise and have visited the Norwich reptile company to view some small tortoises. Do you know if this is a reputable place to get a tortoise from?

Never heard of them but if they are a petshop, you would be better off going to a private breeder. This way you can be sure of the tortoises history/parents etc. If you need some recommendations, let us know.

I have decided upon either a herman or a spurr thighed tortoise, i have read about hubandry aspects on the tortoise trust website but would appreciate some more specific information!

Good choice! I presume you have read the care sheets on this site? Have you read Lin Kings site (www.tortoises.net) which is a complete guide from hatchling to adulthood on med. species.

The tortoises I can afford are only the size of a match box, Is there a kind of pre-made vivarium i could buy with all the heater and lighting complete with it? If so, which do you recommend and how much are they?

Best not to use a vivarium if possible. They dont allow for good air flow and can build up humidity. An open topped wooden enclosure is more suitable and descriptions of these are on Lin's site as well.

Secondly, What do you advise i put in the tank to keep my tortoise happy (sand? special bedding? rocks?) and how often would I need to change this?<

Personally I use a hemp substrate but others use 50/50 mix of play sand and loam. Lin uses towels for babies successfully. I have different area's in the enclosure ie: slate area's, rocks, logs, plants, waterbowls, hidey holes etc.

> Finally aswell as feeding my tortoise leaf matter I would like to give it calcium and vitamin supplements which do you recommend and what doses apply.<

You've done your homework havent you For calcium I use Limestone Flour (calcium carbonate) which I get from a horse feed supplier (large quantities) and this goes on every feed. Others use calcium brought from a reptile shop or grated cuttlefish. For a multivitamin I use Vitsaur but others used a lot in the UK are Nutrobal and Vionate.

HTH

Lisa - UK
http://mysite.freese...ouse/index.html - Leopards in the UK/Rehoming
http://groups.yahoo....tortoisefriends - Tortoise chat list

#4 Guest_gillip4_*

Guest_gillip4_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:04 PM

Hi Lisa, thanks for your info and quick response. You will be glad to know that I have decided to follow the Tladys example and build a t table out of an untreated potting bench. If you could drop me a line on a reputable breeder that would be cool. My only other question is about light which i have posted on the main forum.
thanks again,
philip

#5 Guest_tracy_*

Guest_tracy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2002 - 04:26 PM

Hi Philip

I have just read your message if you have a look at Les White site it is very good he breeds torts and also on his site there is an advert for tortoise products I have had a look through this and there is loads of stuff on there from set ups to garden enclosures all at vey good prices I wish I had seen this site before I got my tortoise.

www.tortoise.freeservers.com
or look for his name on other messages and you will find his site good luck.

Tracy

#6 Guest_lensangel1_*

Guest_lensangel1_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2002 - 08:15 AM

Hi Phillip
I have mailed you privately about the next meeting in Norwich so I hope you can attend, Not only are there some very good breeders who come but they are also a nice crowd of people, all who love tortoises,

The Shop you mention, if it is on the ring road near B&Q is one I would advise to AVOID for any animal, let alone a tortoise, (Lisa this is the shop where Keith bought that Leopard which died)

Sorry I haven't answered you before but I have not been following the lists like I normally do in the past few weeks.

Take care
Di

#7 Guest_lensangel1_*

Guest_lensangel1_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2003 - 07:37 PM

Hi
This is an update on the Norwich Tortoise Society, it is now called The Norfolk and Coe Tortoise Society
In memory of it's founder, anyone wishing to join a really friendly and informative group can they contact Dillon Prest on 01953-718184
Take care
Di

#8 Guest_TREASURE_*

Guest_TREASURE_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

Hello everyone
Just got my baby Hermann yesterday from Marion Skinner in Norfolk....would love to know a bit more about what goes on in the society (any funny handshakes I should know about?!)
Is it really for people who are quite experienced, am I likely to get baffled by the science bit?!?!?
Would like to get involved so any info would be fantastic.
Jules

#9 Guest_sam121212_*

Guest_sam121212_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

HI

I was just wondering if you could give me some more information about the society i would like to come along just depends were its is etc ......

Sam

#10 Guest_cCaril_*

Guest_cCaril_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hi
Anyone living in the Norfolk area will be made welcome at the Norfolk Dumpling every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm to chat and discuss what else, but Tortoises :}

Take care
Di

#11 Guest_cCaril_*

Guest_cCaril_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi

Take care
Di

#12 Guest_cCaril_*

Guest_cCaril_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

Has anybody in the Tortoise society been approached by somebody who has found a spur - thigh tortoise.
I'm desperate as our tortoise has escaped from his run in our garden in Mile Cross

Caril

Hi

Take care
Di

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

BLIMEY!!!! Where have you lot sprung up from!!! :D Come and join us on the main forum - we're a friendly bunch.....honest! style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users