2 replies to this topic

#1 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hi all,

i read somewhere recently about feeding your tortoise Egg Shells as an extra means of calcium, is this suitable? 

Queenie is always reluctant to eat a Cuttlefish bone (it just sits there for weeks uneaten), i sprinkle limestone flour onto her food every couple of days, but wondering if the egg shell trick might work too?

if so are chicken eggs suitable? Do they just go into the oven to be sterilised and then crushed down into her food?

Thanks!

Nic

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:25 PM

Are you using a suitable calcium balancer on her food. Limestone every couple of days alone is not enough. Cuttlefish is high in phosphorous so shouldn’t be used as a main supplement anyway, you must get a formulated additive, especially when indoors. I wouldn’t use chicken eggshells myself, there’s more chance for contamination this way.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:10 AM

Hi all,

i read somewhere recently about feeding your tortoise Egg Shells as an extra means of calcium, is this suitable? 

Queenie is always reluctant to eat a Cuttlefish bone (it just sits there for weeks uneaten), i sprinkle limestone flour onto her food every couple of days, but wondering if the egg shell trick might work too?

if so are chicken eggs suitable? Do they just go into the oven to be sterilised and then crushed down into her food?

Thanks!

Nic

Hi Nic,

They seem to eat Cuttlefish and lump chalk better when it's been outside for time and weathered off a bit, I have lump chalk in my set ups you can buy it from this lady, you can message her through facebook  https://www.facebook..._location=groupyou would also be best getting some Nekton msa which she has as well.  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users