• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zeta

Zeta

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hi all, my family and I are hoping to welcome a herrman into our home before to long.... We were going to get him/her from our local aquatic and reptile centre, however after reading many posts and info pages I understand that this may not be the best idea. So my question is do you know of any breeders in Cornwall or Devon? Freeads and the like would be just as risky as a pet shop I'm guessing??

Thank you xxxxx

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Yes it's always best to buy from a breeder if you can, with Freeads etc you still don't know where the tortoise has come from, you might find someone near you on these breeders lists https://www.facebook...le/?ref=browser    http://www.tortsmad.com/breeders.htm  :)

#3 Zeta

Zeta

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Karen xxxx

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

Not all free ads are bad ones, but you need to check a few things out before buying. Most reputable breeders will happily let you ask them questions and check them out on forums such as this to see if they are indeed legit. Ask if they own the parents and ask for pics etc of all. Ask them for care sheets and see if they are just standard pet shop info or if they go into any depth, re housing, feeding etc. A genuine breeder will be asking you questions and checking that you have everything in place before allowing you to take one. People who simply state they are easy, without offering help and who recommend artificial feeding etc are usually not to be trusted. If in doubt, ask here. Hope this helps ;)

#5 Zeta

Zeta

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Sue xxx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users