• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

So with the pig lamps what kind of bulbs do you use? I'd Imagine we don't use the same kind of bulbs as we use on a tort table as the light is not important more the heat, infrared?

#22 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysic, the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws, personal development

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

It makes sense Crusty. I only give the information to put it out there for everyone, so we increase our knowledge on the different things available for torts.
Good luck and keep us posted on your project.
Sabina

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:30 AM

So with the pig lamps what kind of bulbs do you use? I'd Imagine we don't use the same kind of bulbs as we use on a tort table as the light is not important more the heat, infrared?

You can still use the same bulb if you want, sometimes I use a Mega-ray in mine at the minute I have a Par38 bulb in that's just a heat bulb but if the weather doesn't start to pick up the Mega-ray will go back in. x  :)

#24 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

I'm looking to line the inside sides with wood, any suggestions what do use? Is the pressure treated wood ok? I'd imagine the chemicals used might not be ideal.

#25 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Another question, what are people using for background heat, Tubular Greenhouse heaters?

If so what wattage heater is required to be sufficient for a 6ft x 6ft Greenhouse.

#26 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

Well the Greenhouse is coming on (when the weather permits) I've nearly finished the actual build,

just some painting and then landscaping to match heights to Tanks door.

My next stumbling block is waiting for my brother inlaw to find the time to wire everything up

which means it won't be ready when Tank comes out of hibernation.

Attached Files

#27 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:44 PM

Looking good, you’ve put a lot into it. Be careful using wire netting on boundaries as they soon learn to climb it like a ladder. It’s going to look good when the plants are growing in the good weather. Well done.

#28 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

He's had four years out in the enclosure and hasn't shown any interest in climbing the wire.

That's not to say he won't start to.

It's mostly out of his reach but it's a fair point and I'll take the opportunity while everything has died back to make sure it's all

out of his reach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users