• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Herman Monster

Herman Monster

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

Hi. I have a 5month old Hermann hatchling that I hatched myself. I would like to wind it down ready for an 8wk hibernation. It weighs 27g, eats well, so much so I have to be careful how much I feed it. All is good health wise. Please could anybody give advice i.e. day length, temps, how long for? The whole thing I guess. I also have an adult that i Hibernate each year, he has been in the fridge for 4wks now. Point being that i have some experience but not with hatchlings.
Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:53 PM

Hi. I have a 5month old Hermann hatchling that I hatched myself. I would like to wind it down ready for an 8wk hibernation. It weighs 27g, eats well, so much so I have to be careful how much I feed it. All is good health wise. Please could anybody give advice i.e. day length, temps, how long for? The whole thing I guess. I also have an adult that i Hibernate each year, he has been in the fridge for 4wks now. Point being that i have some experience but not with hatchlings.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply, when mine were small around 40g I hibernated them for about 7/8 weeks and just kept a check on them, I did the wind down over two weeks or so, first week lights and heat as normal with plenty of soaks then started to reduce the time the lights were on by two hours a day till I was down to nothing I gave them one last soak when the lights were off then put them into a deep box of soil in a lot cooler room for a day before putting them into the fridge, keeping a check on their weights through this, they hibernated well just like my adults and woke up full of life again. x  :)

#3 Herman Monster

Herman Monster

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for replying. More questions I'm afraid.
Do I need to lower turn the heat down the second week or just the amount of time the heat is on?
Lights and heat are on a 12hr timer at the moment is that ok for week one?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for replying. More questions I'm afraid.
Do I need to lower turn the heat down the second week or just the amount of time the heat is on?
Lights and heat are on a 12hr timer at the moment is that ok for week one?

Hi,

Ask as many questions as you need too, the first week I just keep every thing as I had it, I don't have my lights on timers as I turn them off once the little ones settle, the second week I leave temps as normal just lower the time the light is on, until there's no light on at all I try and lower the room ambient temperature a little near the end of the second week though, really your just doing the same wind down as you would with adults just over less time if that makes sense. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users