• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:19 AM

The hollyhocks I grew this year yielded flowers of a beautiful shade of scarlet. I harvested hundreds of seeds from them, so if anyone would like a packet to grow next spring, just PM me, and I'll be only to glad to send you some.

Hollyhock.jpg

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:45 PM

Mine are in the first year stage Graham, so no flowers yet. I did do annual lavatera though which were a nice surprise, not done them before. Do you ever have problems with rust with your hollyhocks ?

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

Hi, Sue; yes, I get rust on my hollyhocks just about every year. I’ve learnt now to ignore it, and trim the lower leaves off as the plant grows. It seems rust only affects a hollyhock in its early growth, and that it builds a resistance. I don’t regard it as anything of a problem now.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Oh that’s good then Graham. I get it on som3 of the shrub lavatera too. Torts still eat it though lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users