6 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi
Please can anyone advise on the amount of handling advised and expectations for eating. My new baby tortoise arrived last Thursday and although looks happy. Is spending all its time burying in the soil and not eating. It weighed 38g on arrival has had two droppings and now weights 36g.
It's indoors in tortoise table. Chopped dandelions grated carrot lambs lettuce and salad lettuce in small amounts offered. Water bath. Heat uv lamp.
Just like reassurance on settling in times after a big journey and changed environment.
Thank you
Will be taking to vet for health check.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hi Lance,

Hatchlings can take some time to settle into a new home with this they sleep a lot and don't eat that much, at this time hydration is important so give regular baths, there's no need to chop up his/her food it's much better to give whole hatchlings are looked after in the same way as an adult would be, I wouldn't feed the carrot or much lettuce try and feed weeds and flowers right from the start as this will make a big difference.

I wouldn't take him/ her to the vets as this would just be added stress when your trying to settle him/her in, vets wont be able to tell you much from looking at the hatchling without doing tests, hope that helps. :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Just to add I would love to see some pictures of him/ her. :)

#4 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

Hi
Thank you for the advice, makes sense. I guess chopping up although seems right is not what happens in the wild. I will give the food you recommend and relax. Peach is the name of the baby tortoise is sooo small nice to get advice. Hope the picture loads.
Thank you

Attached Files

#5 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hi Karen
Will not take to vets either

#6 Lance

Lance

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Attached File  image.jpeg   42.49KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   43.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   42.49KB   0 downloads

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:34 AM

Hi Lance,

Peach's is just gorgeous, and with her/him been so small you can give the right care and diet right from the start and have a lovely tortoise. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users