4 replies to this topic

#1 Geraldine

Geraldine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hi
Is anyone aware of a tortoise group near me? I live on the West Sussex/Hampshire border.
If so, do you know where/when they meet?
Thanks Geraldine

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

Don't know of any personally Geraldine, but if you find one, do avoid the ones where people are encouraged to take their tortoises along, as this is one of the biggest routes of cross contamination, often ending in dead or sick torts.

#3 Geraldine

Geraldine

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thank you for your advice. I had not thought about cross contamination. As I am very new to tortoise keeping it would be great to meet up with other owners for advice & tips on how to provide the perfect environment for my hatchlings.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

Yes, it's a very dangerous practice Geraldine, especially if there are any pet shop tortoises there. Cross contamination between species is very risky anyway, but imports are more likely to carry underlying disease.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

Thank you for your advice. I had not thought about cross contamination. As I am very new to tortoise keeping it would be great to meet up with other owners for advice & tips on how to provide the perfect environment for my hatchlings.

Hi Geraldine,

Another thing to think about is the place your getting your information is a good source of information any one can start a group or forum/ face book group there are a lot of good ones but also some poor ones, ask as many questions on here that you need to there's always someone around to help give advice on keeping your tortoises healthy and giving them the perfect environment. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users