Tanks New Outside Enclosure.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Hi all, I've started work on the new outside enclosure for Tank, we've had it as a vegetable patch for a number of years but now we have Tank his need is greater,  I thought you might like to see it and how it progresses, I've attached a few pictures and will add more as time goes on to keep you all updated.

Cheers,

Kev.

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Lovely :) good to see it getting underway before summer ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

Hi Kev,

It looks great, you'll have it already for when the warmer weather comes, i look forward to seeing updated pictures. :) 

#4 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

Hi Kev,

It looks great, you'll have it already for when the warmer weather comes, i look forward to seeing updated pictures. :)

Yes I wanted to start as early as I could, I've got to have a small knee operation soon and will be laid up for up to four weeks so I'm painfully aware that if I don't crack on

I might not get finished in time for the warmer weather, and work gets in the way as well, I'm really ictching to get going :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

Yes I wanted to start as early as I could, I've got to have a small knee operation soon and will be laid up for up to four weeks so I'm painfully aware that if I don't crack on

I might not get finished in time for the warmer weather, and work gets in the way as well, I'm really ictching to get going :)

Well you've made a good start, are you adding a heated area as well, and have you thought about plants yet. :) 

#6 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

I've purchased a Tortoise house from Amazon, similar to the one in the "Outdoor Enclosure in the planning" thread,

(I would link to it but the forum would appear to be not letting me do it) I have a 200W heater coming for background heat

and am looking at getting a heat bulb set up for cold mornings.

The plot is south facing and gets full sun for most of the day, I will site his house so that he'll get the early morning sun coming in through the door, I also have a small wooden cold frame for the duller days.

As for planting I want to try and keep the plants to what he would encounter in the wild, so I have Hebe, Rosemary, Thyme,

Heather, and Sage ready. and will be putting some large pieces of slate rock in for him to clamber over and bask on and hide under.

I also have lots of weeds on the go in the greenhouse, it cracks me up that I'm now growing weeds :laugh:

Attached Files

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

That all sounds brilliant i look forward to more pictures as the enclosure comes on, the plants i have are ornamental grasses, heather, lavender, hebe , yucca lavatera and hibiscus all these plant's work really well. :) 

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

What a great start, Crusty, Tank's going to love his new enclosure. 

Please do keep us updated with photos as the work progresses.

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hi Kev,

How's the enclosure coming on. :) 

#10 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

It's coming on well, landscaping is done, rocks placed, we've tried to make it quite undulating to give the little fella a workout, plants are placed at the moment, I'll plant them next weekend when I'm sure they in the right position, we've tried to break up the line of sight as much as we can, the bricks are where the Tort house and cold frame will be placed.

The frost heater was lost in the post and a replacement is on the way so hopefully the electrics will be sorted in the next two to three weeks.

Attached Files

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

Looks brilliant your going to have one very happy tortoise when the weather warms up. :)

#12 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Looking fabulous, it's going to evolve beautifully; Tank will love it!

#13 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

This is where we're up to now, most of the planting is done and just needs to mature now, hopefullly we're make it secure at the weekend (our main worry around here are foxes, crows, magpies and seagulls)

Then it's just the electrics to sort.

Attached Files

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

Hi Kev,

Sorry i've just seen this, it really is a great enclosure :)  thanks for posting all the pictures as this will give other members ideas for theirs, I have the same problem around here with them birds their a right pain but up to now I've had no problems with them but I do make sure my little torts are covered at all times. :) 

#15 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

This is where we're up to now, most of the planting is done and just needs to mature now, hopefullly we're make it secure at the weekend (our main worry around here are foxes, crows, magpies and seagulls)
Then it's just the electrics to sort.

Looking good Kev. It will fill up nicely given a year or so. You are right re the birds, they're a menace. I've recently lost four nesting doves overnight, which I've put down to crows and magpies. Horrible creatures :(

#16 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Finished the framework for the security netting this weekend, next is to attach the actual wire to it, we've made it in three separate sections so different parts of the enclosure can be accessed as required, also completed the weed bed behind the greenhouse, planted it up young plants and sowed some seeds :)

One piece of advice I give to anyone thinking of embarking on a similar project, finish all the woodwork and frame building before planting it up, it would have been a lot easier this weekend if I'd done so, but hindsight is a wonderful thing :blink:

Attached Files

#17 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 113 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

Wow, well done you and your husband, you put a lot of thoughts into it and results are fab! This looks really good, and thank you very much for the tip because the building of the outdoor enclosure of my two tinnies is going to start very soon.
Sabina

#18 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

You mean my wife and I :wink: you're right we've put a great deal of thought into this and I simply couldn't have done it with out her, it really is a joint effort, but it's been a lot of fun as well as hard work,

really looking forward to the finishing it and the weather getting warmer so we can get Tank out enjoying himself :)

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

You mean my wife and I :wink: you're right we've put a great deal of thought into this and I simply couldn't have done it with out her, it really is a joint effort, but it's been a lot of fun as well as hard work,

really looking forward to the finishing it and the weather getting warmer so we can get Tank out enjoying himself :)

I think putting the thought into an enclosure really does help the set up in the long run, me and the hubby sit for ages discussing it I say can we do this he tells me if it will work or not and come up with some thing else, my enclosure took months to do. :) 

#20 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

I think putting the thought into an enclosure really does help the set up in the long run, me and the hubby sit for ages discussing it I say can we do this he tells me if it will work or not and come up with some thing else, my enclosure took months to do. :)

It's the same with us, it's been in the planning since Christmas, most of the research was from this forum, it's been very informative and helpful, it's one of the reasons I started this thread, I hope it might help and inspire others, also looking

at pictures of tortoises in their natural enviroment as well helped too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users