Electrics / Light & Heat Equipment In Outdoors Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Good morning everyone,

I have two questions. I am asking with the hope that i can save time in searching because it is getting urgent. I have also made research but i am unsure if i am heading in the right direction. Hence why i am turning to you.

Basically i have a cold frame and need to install light/heat for the torts. The cold frame is 1 meter x 1 meter, 16mm thick Alltop plexiglass. Picture below. The cold frame will have a base in bricks with an obvious entrance/exit for the torts.

1) Please could you recommend pig lamps with links or brands?

2) Please could you recommend heaters and thermostats with links?

3) Do i need anything else in terms of electrical equipment in order to meet the biological needs of the torts outdoors in the UK (London)?

PS: An electrician will do all the electric installation outdoors.

Thank you very much!

Sabina

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hi Sabina. If using piglamps you will need a good clearance, so your coldframe will need to be at least a couple of feet high, to allow for distance between the torts and the roof. If it's too near to the roof it might well overheat and cut out. http://www.electrica...der__IR447.aspxAnother option is to use the usual lamps that you are using and suspend them from a hook. If you think the coldframe isn't deep enough, you could go back to the option of a separate hide area with access to the cold frame, with the heat installed in the hide area, which can be a higher 'building ' than the cold frame. This would work.

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

Thank you Sue. That's helpful.

So the wattage should be 250W?

It will be in the cold frame and they will be enough headroom, more than two feet because the cold frame will be on a base/support structure.

Sabina

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Thank you Sue. That's helpful.
So the wattage should be 250W?
It will be in the cold frame and they will be enough headroom, more than two feet because the cold frame will be on a base/support structure.
Sabina

No, I'd go for 150 in that size enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users