NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:21 PM

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

Its getting cold now and my tort is preparing himself for his winter hibernation.

He has stopped eating and I have bathed him for the last 5 days but he has not passed either wee or poo.

Hes still outside but beds down under his light in the day so I have to dig him up every morning to bath him.. I was hoping he would stay awake until the end of October but I don't think that will happen..

Carol.

#2 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:44 AM

Please stop digging him out! And stop bathing him.

You see, he needs energy to dig himself in the ground again and again every day.

It´s an old fairy tale that a tortoise has to have an empty colon for hibernation. With an empty colon it is much more probable that spring starts with problems, such as posthibernale Anorexie.

Perhaps your tortoise has already done what is necessary. And if not, he can excrete feces even in lower temperatures as long as he is not in a fridge.

One of my tortoises, a 11 year old male one, has already disappeared in the ground for hibernation. It is very early, yes, but last year, he disappeared at the same time. They are wild animals and they know what to do.

Germanlady

#3 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

Oh right, I thought I was doing the right thing by him as I have been doing this since I had him.. Thank goodness he has survived his hibernation in the past years.

I will wait and keep checking on him then and put him in his box when ready.

He is still outside the sun has been shining today, we are South facing, he is awake just sitting half buried in his soil.

Whats your thoughts Sue..

Thanks

Carol

#4 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:13 PM

:)

#5 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:53 PM

Thankyou, although its all in German.. :unsure2:

Lovely pics though..

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

Have a look here Carol www.tortsmad.com/hibernation.htm

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:00 PM

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well.

Its getting cold now and my tort is preparing himself for his winter hibernation.

He has stopped eating and I have bathed him for the last 5 days but he has not passed either wee or poo.

Hes still outside but beds down under his light in the day so I have to dig him up every morning to bath him.. I was hoping he would stay awake until the end of October but I don't think that will happen..

Carol.

Hi Carol
The reason that U.K. torts are digging down is that the weather has changed so suddenly, rather than the usual decline. How long is it since he last ate? You might find that in the coming days he perks up again when better weather is due to return in the next few days. You don’t need to bathe him, but he does need to have water available. My own tortoises are slowing down now too, but I’m expecting them to maybe have a return to eating for a while. Whilst the stomach does need to be empty, it’s not a problem if a little faeces are left in the gut. On emergence from hibernation they will pass this slightly dryer faeces. Underground they stay well hydrated, just like wild ones. Hope this helps.

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:03 PM

Please stop digging him out! And stop bathing him.

You see, he needs energy to dig himself in the ground again and again every day.

It´s an old fairy tale that a tortoise has to have an empty colon for hibernation. With an empty colon it is much more probable that spring starts with problems, such as posthibernale Anorexie.

Perhaps your tortoise has already done what is necessary. And if not, he can excrete feces even in lower temperatures as long as he is not in a fridge.

One of my tortoises, a 11 year old male one, has already disappeared in the ground for hibernation. It is very early, yes, but last year, he disappeared at the same time. They are wild animals and they know what to do.

Germanlady

I don’t think anyone mentioned the colon, it’s the stomach that is best empty. They don’t need to eat prior to hibernation for energy as cold blooded animals don’t assimilate food in the way that warm blooded ones do.

#9 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info its very much appreciated.

I have left him these last couple of days, he is awake but just away from his heat/light, hes not coming out and he does have water but I think the weather towards the end of the week is going to get warm again so that may confuse him.

I do hibernate him in quite a big box with soil, the box takes a full 70 litre bag plus a bit more I think and up to now he has been ok.thank goodness.

It is a shame about the forum I was hoping one of the younger members would step in. I,m not very computer savvy :( unfortunately. 

Take Care and thanks again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users