Thermostat Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

What thermostat is the best to get for a tubular heater please? The one we've bought has useless instructions and doesn't seem to be working properly according to the garden thermometer that we keep beside it. I'd be grateful for any advice please.

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:43 PM

I use plug in digital stats, they are around £15. Cheaper, dial type ones are not so reliable. The problem with using stats for tubular heaters is that the heat source remains hot for a fair time after switching off, so keeps the temp,rising for a while.

#3 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

I am thinking of using a plug in digital thermostat for this purpose.  What do people think is the best position for the stat. Close to the heater?..Higher? Lower?.....or just at Tort height?

#4 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

What kind of heater do you use Sue?

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

I use tubular heater for wind gown period and heat lamps got after hibernation. I also have a fan heater for use during hibernation, which is more controllable than a tube as it is either on or off, with no cooling down period to give misleading readings.

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

Always at tortoise height for thermometers as this is where our interests lie. If you use a plug in stat, then use a thermometer at ground level to discover how much you need to adjust the stat, as obviously the temperature recorded will be the height of the plug, not the ground, although if the area is a closed room there will not be a lot of variation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users